“Decent place” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Decent place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The first impression is that this is a remodeled old place. The staff is trying very hard to make it look like a nice place. Rooms are standard quality, lobby is OK, breakfast is good, but gets old after few days. There is plenty of places to get breakfast in the vicinity, so I would not go for it. Pool is nice and clean, but there is no way to get some refreshments. Location and staff are probably the only reason I would stay again.

Room Tip: Pool side is much quieter. Higher floor too.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
aida m, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
First and foremost, I would like to say thank you for having stayed with us and I am very glad to hear you enjoyed our cheerful staff!
I am delighted to inform you that we have a new General Manager running the show and the entire hotel will be going through some renovations this year. We will be installing some new surprises as well as puttting in new carpets, as well as a new lobby.
I hope to see you again during and after the renovation so we can show you what's new. Again, thank you for having stayed with us and providing us with some feedback so we can work on making your stay a lovely one.

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Saint Augustine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is not a well run hotel. The front desk staff are very nice but appear clueless. The hallways are very worn and not at all appealling. The room was more updated and was fairly clean, but there were nasty spots on the carpeting. The biggest problem was that they key card equipment wasn't working properly and caused numerous issues. This property is within walking distance of the downtown area, so that's a plus. Breakfast was surprisingly good. Charging for parking was a rip. If I had it to do over, I'd stay elsewhere, even though it is the only hotel I could find in the general "Miracle Mile" area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
aida m, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
First and foremost, I would like to thank you for having stayed with us, and apologize for the negative circumstances that effected your stay. However, I am absolutely delighted to let you know that I have taken over as the new General Manager of the hotel, and in addition to the changes in operations that I am putting in place, the hotel is looking forward to a complete renovation in the upcoming year. This renovation will include everything from changes in the lobby, to changes in the room decor, and carpeting all throughout the hotel.

The next time that you're in town, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to contact me so that I can do everything in my power to make your stay the best it can be, and we can show you all that's new.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

aside From Charging For Breakfast And Parking, The Bathroom Was Tiny With Hair In The Tub. The Room Itself Was Spacious And Clean And The Front Desk Was Nice. We Definitely Wouldn't Recommend Because Of The Poor Value.

• Stayed May 2013
Stacey,
I am so sorry to hear about the negative experience that you had in our hotel. Our parking fee is relatively new, it was put in place in January of 2012 and has been enforced more strictly over the past year. We do have certain room rates that include breakfast, however it is not included in all rates as compliments of the hotel. I apologize that no one informed you of this ahead of time.

In reference to the hair that you found in your bathtub, I would appreciate it if you could contact myself or my Front Office Manager, Sahira Soto, so that we may look into this issue. There is zero tolerance for the room not being completely clean upon arrival. We would like to compensate you for this inconvenience.

Again, please forgive us for your negative experience, I look forward to hearing from you and more importantly for giving us another opportunity to make it right.
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've stayed here in the past and always find it to have friendly service and like that it is walking distance to shopping and restaurants since parking can be tough and expensive in Miami. The hotel is getting older, but they keep the rooms updated and clean. The restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner only and the food is good. The best part is the big swimming pool and lounge chairs and sofas on the sun deck.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
aida m, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Rhonda,

Thank you so much for these kind words and for being a returning customer, that means the world to us! I am proud to say that the hotel will be undergoing a complete renovation in the upcoming year so we won't be showing off our age anymore. I hope the next time you're in town you'll come see what's new!

Thank you once again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

It's a good thing we were stuck in horrible traffic and decided to go to the American girl store first prior to checking in. The front desk clerk said I have a room with a view if the pool when we checked in. My kids were so excited and raced upstairs to change their swim suits. Normally that is a great thing. However , when we got to the room and looked out the window , the pool was empty! And not from lack of people from it not having water! I wish this was put on the Marriott website!

I had stayed at this property a cople of years ago and I don't remember being charged for parking. There is a $10 charge for that. It's ridiculous if ou ask me being charged for parking at a courtyard!

The front desk staff was very friendly but we should have been advised the charge for parking when they gave us the parking pass and should have said the pool has been out of order. Also the free shuttle is in demand and the wait o use it or be picked up cold be a long wait!

Great location. We walked to miracle mile. There are tons of coffee shops and bakeries all around! And some great places to eat!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I can only imagine how disappointing it must have been for your girls to find out that the pool was closed; you have my greatest apologies. The pool required some surprise maintenance and needed to be emptied in the best interest of the safety of our guests. However, it is filled now and operating as well as can be. In reference to our parking charge, I apologize that it took you by surprise. Given that parking is so difficult to find in the vicinity all of the business operations charge a fee for parking, we pride ourselves in knowing we are the least expensive.

I would appreciate it very much if the next time that you're in Coral Gables you take the time to contact me. It would be my pleasure to do all that I can to make your next stay with us the absolute best that it can be for you and your girls.
Cupertino, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I went on vacations to Miami and stay there wih my two daughters. the bad experience started when we saw a sign at the front door stating that the pool was out of Service. When you have two girls that are expecting to be able to go to the pool upon arriving after a 5 hours flight, it is not good news.
The staff tried to arranged to take us to another hotel's pool, we went there, there was not changing room and when we call the hotel to pick us up, they first said 5 minutes. when I called back after 15 minutes they said that the shuttle had to go to the airport and that it would be another 15 mn that turned out to be 30mn... (with two wet girls ...)
Although the hotel had our email and phone, nobody took the opportunity to send us a message to tell us about the pool condition, we could have changed to another courtyard in the area.
Then the door key had to be re-mangnetized every evening, for some reason both key did not work the evening when we cam back.
then the last night the AC stopped working in our room and kept doing a clicking noise.

Very disapointing for a Marriott....

Chris

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chris,

First and foremost, I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you and your family experienced during your stay with us. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each of our guests has the best stay possible, so it is quite disappointing to know that we've somehow fallen short of that goal.

Unfortunately, our recent pool maintenance was not something that we planned very much in advance, it was something that needed to be done for the safety of our guests. The hotel is looking forward to a complete renovation in the coming year, which will include an update of our guest room air-conditioners and an upgrade on our door lock system. In the mean time we continue to work very hard to ensure our air conditioners are properly maintained and address any room key issue immediately with our guests.

If you should find yourself returning to the beautiful city of Coral Gables, please contact me directly. Myself and my staff would be most appreciative of the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes, and those of your family.
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in March. This is a solid 4 "star" hotel close to a variety of areas and attractions, decent breakfast (there are walkable alternatives). All staff very friendly, room wifi was fine. It gets 5 stars from us for the free convenient parking and the fact that when we arrived at the airport and called for the shuttle, the desk clerk apologized that the shuttle would probably be about 30 minutes, so she instructed us to take a taxi, which would be reimbursed when we arrived. Which they promptly did, in cash. That's service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob and Paula,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to be convenient and friendly. I hope we'll have the opportunity to see you again on your next visit to Miami!

Been to Courtyard Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!