“Numerous Issues” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Celina, Ohio, United States
“Numerous Issues”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a Marriott Gold Member I spend a good deal of time in their hotels. The Courtyart Miami Coral Gables was my worst Marriott experience ever. I was booked to stay from 2/25/13-2/28/13. Upon check in i was told they were over sold and I was walked to a local Best Western. Prior to walking me they confirmed that i would be able to check in at 9:30 the next morning and would be given my confrimed room with a king size bed. The morning of the 26th I went to check in prior to a meeting and was put into a room with 2 double beds. That afternoon I was transferred to a room with a King size bed. The next morning I was given a bill that had me checking out on the 27th which was incorrect. I had to explain my issue to the front desk and my reservation to the 28th. (which was my original reservation). Since checking out on the last day I've had numerous billing issues that they hotel has not resolved a month later.
As for the accomidations: The building is old and the room was not cleaned to the normal mariott standards. I will not be returning to this Courtyard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Sir, I would like to extend a sincere apology to you. For me it is disappointing to know that any guest leaves our hotel without a smile on, but being that you are a Marriott Gold Elite member, this is absolutely unacceptable. Please contact the hotel at your earliest convenience so that we may rectify this situation and compensate you appropriately. If you would find it more convenient, you may contact our Front Desk Supervisor directly at anna.naya@marriott.com so that we may square away your billing issues and make right the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay.

Once more, I do apologize. However, I hope that you will afford us an opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Lower Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here one night prior to our cruise. The hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport. The hotel is only a few blocks from great shopping and restaurants. I would stay here again in a minute. The staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms close to the elevator. A bit noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this kind feedback. I hope you had a great time on your cruise and that the next time you visit Coral Gables, you'll keep us in mind! We'd love to have you back!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed here because the Westin (just down the street) exceeded my company's budget. I checked in late the 3rd of March and immediately had to change rooms because of the smell (think mildewed towels, stale air, old cigarette smoke). The next room I was placed in smelled just as bad but at that point I figured they all would. The bathroom floor had hairs sprinkled on it, the hinges on the doors were rusted, and the amenities (shampoo, conditioner) were generic and dried up. I went to use the computer this morning and it kept closing out my email before I was finished. I also noticed four distinct bites on my legs starting yesterday. I know the types of bites these are because I am extremely allergic. I'm in the lobby now and will be calling the manager to complain about this. The hotel's location is a bit of a walk from the Miracle Mile, not too bad, big nothing close to speak of. I'll only stay at the Westin from now on (immaculate, wonderful service) as opposed to this generic dump.

• Stayed March 2013
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Sarah,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard by Marriott Miami Coral Gables. I know that you had many options when choosing your hotel, so, on behalf of your entire Courtyard Coral Gables Family, I do appreciate your patronage!

I would also like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the smell, bathroom and internet during this stay. Our goal is always for each guest to have an exceptional experience with us, so it is with great regret that I write to you now to apologize. With that having been said, the morning after your departure we had our pest control company came to inspect your room and no evidence of any bed bugs or other insects was found. We do not have any kind of insects in our hotel, we have a company that comes every week just to make sure our facilities is up to Marriott standards.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor, we will take your comments in consideration to better ourselves in the future.

The Courtyard Coral Gables Family.
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We selected Coral Gables for being near the airport and University of Miami. This hotel is a good bargain for both. Start with amenities - free parking, free internet throughout hotel, free shuttle service from airport. Price is the price - no extras - big plus for me. Hotel is clean, bedding comfortable, 4 clean smelling pillows on each of our Queen beds. TV has at least two HBO channels, regular and family - pleasant bonus. There is a restaurant at the hotel, skirt steak sandwich was good, gyro less so, service was wonderful.

Shuttle service is free from airport, they promise once an hour. If you call main desk about 20 minutes before you need pickup, they will send van for you (they did for us, but we had a very late arrival so I don't know if they always will - ask).

Our room faced the street. We heard little or no street noise.

Remember this is not the Biltmore, but a clean, pleasant, high-value for the dollar hotel. You will like it

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are probably quieter, but we were not bothered by the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for this kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your skirt steak sandwich. The next time that you're in town, we'll will definitely improve upon our gyro for you!
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's very important in Miami to make sure that the hotel that you choose to stay in is in the right location for your plans. But if you want to be in Coral Gables in or around the Miracle Mile, then this hotel is an overall very good choice.

The rooms are very nice. The beds are comfortable, the property is clean and nicely appointed. It's an older property but it has been updated and appears well cared for. I believe the only pool area is outdoors and it was too cold to enjoy while we were there, but it had tables with umbrellas and what looked to be a nice pool area. The desk people are generally competent and the breakfast is pretty good overall. We still have a little problem getting them to bill the correct CC but they say they corrected it and hopefully that will show soon on the bill, and the first morning breakfast was a mess as they were packed and didn't have nearly enough help but the second morning breakfast was quite nice. Overall the facility, it's location and service were very good.

I wasn't very happy about paying $12.00 a day for across the street parking and as a Marriott Silver Elite I wasn't happy about being charged for their basic breakfast buffet. But this is not that unusual in properties in large metro areas and as I said, the overall experience was positive.

I would recommend this property to someone who needs a hotel in this general location and will probably stay here again next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: I believe the inside rooms overlooking the pool and on one of the higher floors are much quieter tha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review and recommendation. I'd like to apologize for the delay in the restaurant. We are in the process of hiring additional staff for the restaurant to avoid problems like this one. I hope that the next time you're in town, you'll allow us the opportunity to show you how we're always improving to benefit you!
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been there with friends in nov 2012 and I am very satisfied. The staff is very helpful and friendly, the hotel location is good, the room is clean and with a very good space. The breakfast is also good with lots of options available. It's an excellent cost option if you have a car and needs to stay close to miami but a little bit more calm. It's pretty close to the airport which help me decide for this option. Recommended !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for this kind review and for recommending our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll find a chance to visit us again soon!
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Front desk staff is very professional and greets all with a smile and courteously answers any question. Very nice courtyard pool area on the second floor. Small exercise room with 3 treadmills, an elliptical and limited weights - fresh towels and cold water available.
I loved the homey feel of this hotel which is right in a cute neighborhood. Great restaurants within walking distance - we had a wonderful dinner at Talavera (Mexican) and enjoyed the walk both ways. Felt safe.
A few negatives: the register in the breakfast area wasn't working properly and I was late to my morning work meeting because they couldn't get it working for nearly 20 minutes. I asked to check out at the front desk instead and the staff in the dining room said this wasn't possible. This was almost equally inefficient the next morning, too, and this time wait staff a little surly. Tiny ants in the bathroom sink area, room a little worn. Pretty quiet for a hotel near airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for this kind review. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, but would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced in the restaurant. Unfortunately, the malfunctioning cash register is not something that we could have avoided, but we are very regretful that this made you late for your meeting. Since you've mentioned a negative attitude on the part of our breakfast staff, we will certainly have a discussion with them to ensure that no other guest has a similar experience but I am sorry that you found them to be surly. In regard to the rooms seeming a little worn, you might be glad to know that we will be undergoing a rennovation in the upcoming 2014. I hope you'll come by to see it!

Been to Courtyard Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!