“Good value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Philadelphia, PA
“Good value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We selected Coral Gables for being near the airport and University of Miami. This hotel is a good bargain for both. Start with amenities - free parking, free internet throughout hotel, free shuttle service from airport. Price is the price - no extras - big plus for me. Hotel is clean, bedding comfortable, 4 clean smelling pillows on each of our Queen beds. TV has at least two HBO channels, regular and family - pleasant bonus. There is a restaurant at the hotel, skirt steak sandwich was good, gyro less so, service was wonderful.

Shuttle service is free from airport, they promise once an hour. If you call main desk about 20 minutes before you need pickup, they will send van for you (they did for us, but we had a very late arrival so I don't know if they always will - ask).

Our room faced the street. We heard little or no street noise.

Remember this is not the Biltmore, but a clean, pleasant, high-value for the dollar hotel. You will like it

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are probably quieter, but we were not bothered by the street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank real_in_philly
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for this kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your skirt steak sandwich. The next time that you're in town, we'll will definitely improve upon our gyro for you!

Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's very important in Miami to make sure that the hotel that you choose to stay in is in the right location for your plans. But if you want to be in Coral Gables in or around the Miracle Mile, then this hotel is an overall very good choice.

The rooms are very nice. The beds are comfortable, the property is clean and nicely appointed. It's an older property but it has been updated and appears well cared for. I believe the only pool area is outdoors and it was too cold to enjoy while we were there, but it had tables with umbrellas and what looked to be a nice pool area. The desk people are generally competent and the breakfast is pretty good overall. We still have a little problem getting them to bill the correct CC but they say they corrected it and hopefully that will show soon on the bill, and the first morning breakfast was a mess as they were packed and didn't have nearly enough help but the second morning breakfast was quite nice. Overall the facility, it's location and service were very good.

I wasn't very happy about paying $12.00 a day for across the street parking and as a Marriott Silver Elite I wasn't happy about being charged for their basic breakfast buffet. But this is not that unusual in properties in large metro areas and as I said, the overall experience was positive.

I would recommend this property to someone who needs a hotel in this general location and will probably stay here again next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: I believe the inside rooms overlooking the pool and on one of the higher floors are much quieter tha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LifesaBanquet
Thank you so much for your kind review and recommendation. I'd like to apologize for the delay in the restaurant. We are in the process of hiring additional staff for the restaurant to avoid problems like this one. I hope that the next time you're in town, you'll allow us the opportunity to show you how we're always improving to benefit you!
São Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been there with friends in nov 2012 and I am very satisfied. The staff is very helpful and friendly, the hotel location is good, the room is clean and with a very good space. The breakfast is also good with lots of options available. It's an excellent cost option if you have a car and needs to stay close to miami but a little bit more calm. It's pretty close to the airport which help me decide for this option. Recommended !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FamiliaLopes
Thank you for this kind review and for recommending our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll find a chance to visit us again soon!
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Front desk staff is very professional and greets all with a smile and courteously answers any question. Very nice courtyard pool area on the second floor. Small exercise room with 3 treadmills, an elliptical and limited weights - fresh towels and cold water available.
I loved the homey feel of this hotel which is right in a cute neighborhood. Great restaurants within walking distance - we had a wonderful dinner at Talavera (Mexican) and enjoyed the walk both ways. Felt safe.
A few negatives: the register in the breakfast area wasn't working properly and I was late to my morning work meeting because they couldn't get it working for nearly 20 minutes. I asked to check out at the front desk instead and the staff in the dining room said this wasn't possible. This was almost equally inefficient the next morning, too, and this time wait staff a little surly. Tiny ants in the bathroom sink area, room a little worn. Pretty quiet for a hotel near airport.

2 Thank moonville
Thank you for this kind review. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, but would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced in the restaurant. Unfortunately, the malfunctioning cash register is not something that we could have avoided, but we are very regretful that this made you late for your meeting. Since you've mentioned a negative attitude on the part of our breakfast staff, we will certainly have a discussion with them to ensure that no other guest has a similar experience but I am sorry that you found them to be surly. In regard to the rooms seeming a little worn, you might be glad to know that we will be undergoing a rennovation in the upcoming 2014. I hope you'll come by to see it!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Spent a week at the Courtyard in Corbal Gables on a recent business trip.

The location is great. About 3 miles from the airport, a few blocks from the Coral Gables Miracle Mile stretch of restaurants and shopping, and only 7 miles from the Miami cruise ship ports. However it is in a nice neighborhood away from other businesses and very quiet.

The staff was really nice and helpful. The parking seemed limited but was never a problem and I think the hotel was completely booked when I was there. The breakfast buffet was not great but certainly adequate with cereals, fruit, bacon, sausage and real scrambled eggs.

I was really busy while there and didn't have a chance to use the pool area. The room was comfortable and clean. However, my toilet had a strange habit of bubbling and gurgling loudly every 10 minutes or so from trapped air or something. Also, my bathtub had a very slow drain that caused the water to back up significantly during morning showers.

Other than those two minor inconveniences the stay was great and I would definitely recommend the hotel to others. Close but no too close. Isolated but still extremely convenient.

Room Tip: You may want to consider a room off the Le Jeune road side of the property. It wasn't a problem...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for this kind feedback! I am absolutely delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! Unfortunately being that the hotel is a little older we do experience things like gurggling toilets from time to time, but now that you've mentioned it, I will have our maintennance team look into the problem.

I hope we'll see you the next time you're in town!
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have stayed 8-10 times at this hotel.... Never had a complaint. I normally stay here the night before a big presentation, since my office is 2 blocks away. Gold MR member.
This time I stayed at both ends of a business trip that had me flying out of MIA at 6AM and returning at 11PM.
The first stay, I had to contend with a musty-smelling room on the 6th floor, and, when changed to room 400...An amazingly loud neighbor made worse by the connecting door (not sure why I was put on a connecting room).
On the return, I made several phone calls to the front desk to request the shuttle... Encountered some attitude from the staff and had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle to appear, while I saw the shuttle of EVERY single hotel in the vicinity of MIA come around 2-3 times.
Upon arrival, I got another musty-smelling room on the 6th floor, but I was too exhausted to say anything.
This is definitely an older building that's been renovated, but the rooms are showing their age... Not sure what is up with the smells on the 6th floor. Will try to find a new favorite place to stay around the office...sigh
Also... being a hotel airport, breakfast should start earlier...Starts at 7, by that time, many guests are long gone!

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
It is quite unsettling to know that you left us with such a negative impression. First and foremost, I'd like to apologize for the musty smell you found in these rooms and the inconvenience that you experienced with the shuttle. We'll certainly have housekeeping keep a special nose out for that scent so that we may locate the source of the problem and eliminate it. We are constantly working to improve ourselves with the help of the feedback that you, our valued guests, provide and one thing that we have made a point to better recently is our shuttle service. We've recently noted the need for a more timely shuttle service and we've fulfilled the need by adding a second driver to our more busy shifts. I hope that the next time you're in town you'll give us one more chance to show off our recent improvements and continue to be your favorite!
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Miami Coral Gables for two nights on business travel. The location was convenient for my purposes and you can walk to several restaurants and Miracle Mile. There is a shuttle that runs to and from the airport every hour. I also found the staff quite friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard fare, but good for a quick bite. (Try to get a rate with breakfast included.) I did not use the outdoor pool or exercise room, so I can't speak to those. But, the patio area for the pool looked inviting.

The room was spacious, but I found the air stuffy and smelling of feet and chlorine. The bed was very basic, with seemingly old/worn linens. The room was clean and there was a full-sized ironing board, mini-fridge, and microwave. I'm sure I could have asked to switch rooms, but I thought it would get better if I opened a window and/or ran the AC for awhile. However, there was not much improvement in the air quality and I had already unpacked. The hotel staff was so helpful and accommodating, they probably would have moved me, but it just seemed like too much effort for such a short stay.

• 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and mention the exceptional service that you received. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each guest has a great experience so it is very rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback.

In reference to the "stuffy room," I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will certainly investigate the matter and do whatever it takes to ensure that the problem ends here.

We hope to see you on your next trip!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
#5 of 11 in Coral Gables
4.0 of 5 stars 200 reviews
Coral Way
Four Points by Sheraton Coral Gables

Been to Courtyard Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!