“Declining standards” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
miami
“Declining standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have stayed 8-10 times at this hotel.... Never had a complaint. I normally stay here the night before a big presentation, since my office is 2 blocks away. Gold MR member.
This time I stayed at both ends of a business trip that had me flying out of MIA at 6AM and returning at 11PM.
The first stay, I had to contend with a musty-smelling room on the 6th floor, and, when changed to room 400...An amazingly loud neighbor made worse by the connecting door (not sure why I was put on a connecting room).
On the return, I made several phone calls to the front desk to request the shuttle... Encountered some attitude from the staff and had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle to appear, while I saw the shuttle of EVERY single hotel in the vicinity of MIA come around 2-3 times.
Upon arrival, I got another musty-smelling room on the 6th floor, but I was too exhausted to say anything.
This is definitely an older building that's been renovated, but the rooms are showing their age... Not sure what is up with the smells on the 6th floor. Will try to find a new favorite place to stay around the office...sigh
Also... being a hotel airport, breakfast should start earlier...Starts at 7, by that time, many guests are long gone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
It is quite unsettling to know that you left us with such a negative impression. First and foremost, I'd like to apologize for the musty smell you found in these rooms and the inconvenience that you experienced with the shuttle. We'll certainly have housekeeping keep a special nose out for that scent so that we may locate the source of the problem and eliminate it. We are constantly working to improve ourselves with the help of the feedback that you, our valued guests, provide and one thing that we have made a point to better recently is our shuttle service. We've recently noted the need for a more timely shuttle service and we've fulfilled the need by adding a second driver to our more busy shifts. I hope that the next time you're in town you'll give us one more chance to show off our recent improvements and continue to be your favorite!

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Miami Coral Gables for two nights on business travel. The location was convenient for my purposes and you can walk to several restaurants and Miracle Mile. There is a shuttle that runs to and from the airport every hour. I also found the staff quite friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard fare, but good for a quick bite. (Try to get a rate with breakfast included.) I did not use the outdoor pool or exercise room, so I can't speak to those. But, the patio area for the pool looked inviting.

The room was spacious, but I found the air stuffy and smelling of feet and chlorine. The bed was very basic, with seemingly old/worn linens. The room was clean and there was a full-sized ironing board, mini-fridge, and microwave. I'm sure I could have asked to switch rooms, but I thought it would get better if I opened a window and/or ran the AC for awhile. However, there was not much improvement in the air quality and I had already unpacked. The hotel staff was so helpful and accommodating, they probably would have moved me, but it just seemed like too much effort for such a short stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and mention the exceptional service that you received. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each guest has a great experience so it is very rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback.

In reference to the "stuffy room," I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will certainly investigate the matter and do whatever it takes to ensure that the problem ends here.

We hope to see you on your next trip!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel overnight enroute to another city and were very impressed with the overall location which is very close to Publix and Dadeland Mall. This hotel is equipped with a mini fridge which is great to store soft drinks and yoghurts. The supermarket Publix offers breakfast and Cuban "cafe con leche" in the mornings and is a minute's walk across the street.One can also buy snacks from the snack bar located within the hotel. Our rates were very reasonable and we took advantage of the free shuttle which arrives on the hour every hour from morning until 10pm. Taxis from Miami airport to town can cost around $30-$40. So we saved $80/- by just using the hotel shuttle.This hotel is great value for the money.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quieter and more spacious
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Theresa, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay but from what I can tell, you visited the Courtyard Marriott in Dadeland, which is not our property. However, our property does boast all of the same ammenities, with the exception of the other hotel's proximity to the Dadeland Mall, but I think you might enjoy our close proximity to the Miracle Mile here in Coral Gables. We have something like 70 restaurants as well as plenty of shops all within walking distance from the hotel.

I hope the next time that you're in town you'll come see all that Coral Gables has to offer!
Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Recently stayed at this Marriott and would definitely return. The staff was super nice and very accommodating. I needed to leave my vehicle there while attending an event for 2 days and they were extremely gracious and let me do this. I slept really well - bed was very comfortable. The room was on the 2nd floor room 230-something which I would recommend as these overlook the pool and are away from the street side. There was a refrigerator, mircowave and coffee maker in the room which was convenient. Breakfast was great and the staff were helpful on places to eat that were nearby. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the 2nd floor in the 230's.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for this kind review. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each guest has a great experience so it is always a delight to receive such positive feedback.

We can't wait to see you on your next visit!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

First reason to leave the room we were assigned: the door to the pool deck didn't lock properly. It had been secured shut by a flimsy inside lock that needed the door to be left partially open. Front desk unable to get us keys to a replacement room for 20 minutes because of "machine problems." Second reason to make a trip to front desk: no room service menu in room. Then when we tried to order room service, the phone line to the restaurant was out of order. Finally, a constant beeping from the ice machine outside our room kept us up all night. The front desk staff tried hard and it wasn't their fault. Whoever is the manager of this place, however, should be fired.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
claudia P, Manager at Courtyard Miami Coral Gables, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
First of all, sir, I would like to apologize for the negative experience you had in our hotel. Our goal is always to provide our valued guests with the best experience possible, so there is a sad day here when we know we've failed to meet this goal. However, we do appreciate your feedback, as it is you, our guests, who can really see where we need to improve. I'd like you to know that we are in the process of replacing our entire lock and key system as we have been having reoccuring problems with it. Additionally, since you mentioned it, I will certainly have our maintennance team look into the mystery of the beeping ice machine and dead restaurant phone line.

Thank you so much for your patronage and for providing feedback. We truly appreciate the opportunity to be better for you, our valued guests.
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and found that the staff are very friendly and efficient. The breakfast is good, and the airport shuttle is dependable.
The hotel is very close to Miracle Mile which is an added plus to staying here.
All in all, the experience was good, and I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am elated to know that you found your stay with us to be so enjoyable. It is truly the smiles on our guests' faces that make our jobs here so rewarding. We thank you for your patronage, your feedback, and for being a part of our Courtyard Coral Gables Family. I hope we will see you again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I recentally stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Coral Cables after were got off our cruise ship, and it was a very nice hotel. The rooms were clean and the staff very friendly. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Margaret, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad that you found everything to be well and we look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Courtyard Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!