“ortanique on the mile” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ortanique on the Mile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 266 Restaurants in Coral Gables
Cuisines: Caribbean, Eclectic, Jamaican
Good for: Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Salzedo & Miracle Mile (Coral Way)
Burlington, Canada
“ortanique on the mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A very funky, lively spot with first rate food on the miracle mile in Coral Gables. Best espresso I've had outside of Italy.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Huntsville, Alabama
“Very good - but not quite great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

In fairness I have to admit that we would have had an overall much better experience if it hadn't been for the book club meeting. We were sat right next to a large group who were meeting to discuss a recent book they had read. We wanted a romantic moment to end our weekend in Miami and it was immediately obvious that it wouldn't happen where we were seated. We asked the waitress if she could move us and she was very nice but she said she didn't know where she could move us to that was any quieter. That's when I noticed the concrete floors. The room just wasn't designed for intimate moments!

Having said that, the restaurant decor is fabulous and the food overall was good.

We had reservations but we had eaten a late lunch so we decided for once to skip appetizers and go straight to the main meal followed maybe by dessert. We both had the Ahi Tuna and it was fabulous. The wasabi mashed potatoes were perfect and the tuna was cooked to perfection.

We decided to keep in the Caribbean spirit of the meal and have a rum cocktail. I believe we had The Dupee because my husband loves rum punch, but it didn't taste like rum punch, it had almost an orange liqueur taste to it. We both finished ours, but their wasn't any wow in it.

For dessert, I'm a chocaholic and I was disappointed that the only chocolate they had was a mousse that the waitress wasn't too excited about. So I ended up with a vanilla bean creme brulee that wasn't anything special and my husband had cheesecake that he said was just OK.

So, if coming here you need to manage your expectations. If you want to have a fun dinner with some interesting food options I think this place could be great, especially with a noisy group of friends. There were several menu items that sounded interesting that I would love to try. But don't come here for a romantic evening, (especially on Sunday's when the book club is meeting in the middle of the restaurant) and stick to your tried and true favorites with cocktails and dessert.

Overall we liked this place but it won't go to the top of my "favorite restaurants" list.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Colorful Ambiance wtih Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

For an interesting meal of Caribbean–inspired cuisine, check out this spot. Located in downtown Coral Gables, the setting is colorful and fun. Lunches and dinners are eclectic and have a different flair. The restaurant design will accommodate small groups of 8-12 with a feeling of privacy; limited outdoor seating is available and is very enjoyable on most Gables nights. Fish tacos and fried bananas for dessert are delicious and some appetizers are big enough for a meal. Great spot to order different items than your dining partners, so you can try more!

Visited November 2012
Danville, California
“Wow! Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked a reservation for a Monday night after a long day of travel for dinner with work colleagues based on rating in Tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed. Colorful dining room to lift any spirits. Creative cocktail menu to provide interesting refreshful combinations to your tastebuds. The menu proved to be extremely difficult because of too many choices. I have the Black group marinated in teriyaki and sesame. Yum Yum. Two of the party had the double porkchop. Amazing to look at and gigantic. The other roast pork loin. All got rave reviews. Appetizers a little small, but beautiful presenatation and like the cocktails, great explosions of taste. If you are in Coral Cables (or neraby in Miami), Ortanique is a must visit.

Visited February 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had high hopes for this Caribbean restaurant. Given the prices, I expected authentic, spicy Caribbean food. Corn and conch fritters and salad were bland and not as presented in the menu. Where was the mango?? They were out of Ahi tuna at 7:00 on a Saturday. House wines were good. The bread was really good. I had the scallops which were good, but with broccoli? Risotto was excellent according to other members of the group. Calamari was overcooked. I just don't understand why this place is so popular.

Visited January 2013