“Caribbean Islanders Delight” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ortanique on the Mile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 268 Restaurants in Coral Gables
Cuisines: Caribbean, Eclectic, Jamaican
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Salzedo & Miracle Mile (Coral Way)
Miami, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Caribbean Islanders Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Absolutely delicious stuff. The best mussels I've ever had with just the right touch of scoth bonnet pepper. Service not so great. Decor not exciting either. I keep on going back time and again for the exacting Caribbean flavor of all of the dishes, even despite the quite rushed and unstructured service routine. Considering this is not the cheapest place in town to have dinner, I wish the service was a little more polite and accommodating, more mindful about the guests expectations, and maybe a little bit more coordinated between all of the servers involved in the process.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, CA
“Service with the bird!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Absolutely delicious food... and pissed-off service (if you're unfortunate enough to arrive within an hour of closing)!

I found this restaurant based upon its strong Yelp reviews and thought it sounded awesome and was excited to try it.

My fiance and I were staying in nearby Coconut Grove and made reservations for 9:00 p.m. on Sunday evening and took a taxi from our hotel to Miracle Mile. When we arrived, we were greeted by both the gracious hostess and manager, and the restaurant was still fairly busy with several tables at various points in their meal.

Our server Juanita introduced herself and greeted us professionally. We spent a couple minutes perusing the fantastic menus: great cocktails, extensive wine list, and mouth-watering food menu. When Juanita returned a few minutes later, we ordered a couple cocktails and the ceviche starter. We also placed our order for our mains, but of course expected our dinner to be paced out long enough to enjoy the evening.

Well, literally within 5 minutes, our ceviche "arrived." And I say "arrived" because it was more like thrown down on the table in front of me by a hurried, disaffected female server (not Juanita) who actually said "here you go!" before racing away from the table. Not a great impression. My date and I were like "what just happened?!"

I realize it's a cold starter and was pre-made and very easy to scoop onto a plate, but could the server at least have pretended to be hospitable, even if she was dying to get out of there and the dish didn't necessarily require any explanation?

There were at least 4 other parties who arrived *after* we were seated and it was obvious the staff was becoming increasingly disenchanted with the late rush of customers. In fact, my date actually witnessed our server at the front desk fist pump and mouth the words "f---; f---; f---!" while her back was turned to a table of four who just arrived. Of course, her front was facing in our direction of the dining room, so it was clear that we (and all the other tables) were keeping her from her evening.

The ceviche was great. As we were enjoying it, we ordered a bottle of wine from Juanita.

Fast forward another 10 minutes or so and our mains arrive, but no bottle of wine. I started to enjoy the grouper that I had ordered, but my date was waiting for the wine. Eventually he acquiesced and started eating, and finally a different server brought the bottle of wine, but we told her it was no longer worth it as we were half way through our dinners; it was to enjoy *with* our meal, not *after* it. That server understood and we ordered just two glasses instead.

At this point Juanita came over to the table bewildered and asked "what's wrong? You don't want the wine now?" As we were still eating, we explained how we had felt rushed with our food, treated like a nuisscance by the other server, and were not interested in our $150+ meal taking 40 minutes from start to finish, or drinking a bottle of wine long after our meals were over. Juanita did apologize but was also defnesive and offered up several excuses as to why x,y, and z was happening. A simple apology and space to finish eating our dinner would have been sufficient; ultimately the deed had been done: we felt unwelcome, and were not enjoying our evening at Ortanique.

Then... the manager came over and wanted to get our version of the situation. This is understandble, but kind of annoying considering we were trying to eat, and this was now the 3rd interruption since our meals had arrived where we had to explain to a now 3rd person how the pace and service were sorely lacking. The manager seems like a nice lady, but not an actual manager of a restaurant floor; it requires much more than smiling nicely at customers and wishing them a good evening. She should have been backing-up Juanita and opening wine, as needed, or expediting food (since the other groucho-server couldn't be trusted to be polite and do it). The manager asked us if she could get us dessert. I appreciated her attempt to smooth things over, but it was a pretty feeble attempt. Truth be known, I was hoping we would enjoy dessert with after dinner drinks, etc., but there was no way we were going to stay another minute more than necessary since we (and all the other well-paying guests were clearly not welcomed after 9p.m.).

Ultimately, the manager ended up voiding our cocktails and the two glasses of wine we had, which was nice, and the appropriate thing to do, but it was still an unfortunate dining experience, despite what was very, very good food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
florida
“Best Fish Tacos I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Wow. I decided to try the Crunchy Sweetbread Fish Tacos, it sounded interesting. The waitress told me the Chef swore by the Sweetbread (which is a very popular fruit in Jamaica) and so I went with it. Chef is RIGHT! The best fish tacos I have ever had and I can't wait to go back and have them again. The cilantro sauce, the freshness of the fish and the other super star...the crunchy sweetbread shell. If you like fish and you like tacos you won't go wrong with this one!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Palm Coast, Florida
“Good, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Met members of my family to celebrate my birthday and had heard good things about Ortanique. The service was excellent, but the good was a little disappointing. Maybe, I expected too much ahead of time as it was good, but not great.

Interesting interiors.

Visited September 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Marvel of miracle mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Great place for food and conversation. Waiters and staff are extremely attentive. Food is superb with a Caribean accent. Restaurant atmosphere is casual and fun yet muted enough for good conversation with friends. Spice of Miami special is 1 appetizer, 1 entree, & 1 dessert for $39. The peach & Bleu cheese green salad, swordfish, vegetable curry & tres leches cake were terrific! Excellent wine by the glass. Valet park $8 - look for the colorful flamingo!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere