“Small, Great food, service is slow.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Small, Great food, service is slow.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Small hole in the wall place with not more than 10 or 12 parking spots, but definitely a great find.

I am not of Spanish heritage, but I have lived in South Florida for many years and have had Cuban food from a lot of places. All of the traditionally Cuban fare we had was very good, Ropa Vieja was excellent, best I have had.

Other items like calamari were average at best. Then again ordering a fried seafood appetizer in a cuban restaurant, is sort of like going to Starbucks and expecting an excellent omelette.

Some of the other reviewers are right, the service there is slow, and if you do not speak any Spanish at all, you will find you are only able to communicate with a couple of the people there. So don't visit if you are in a rush and embrace the fact that you are in the heart of Coral Gables and a mostly spanish speaking staff is not uncommon there.

Overall good food, and we would definitely revisit.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

SC
“Best Cuban/Spanish influence Cuisine in greater Miami area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

If you are looking for Cuban food, this is the one for you.
We dined at the original place, at Flagler Street. All locals go there, and the waiters are original (most of them were there since this restaurant opened its doors for business). Ask the waiter what he recommends (just narrow it down to Beef, pork, seafood, or chicken), and he honestly will recommend to you what is the best. We did not regret when we did that. Do not forget the sangria; it is really good. The price is very reasonable. It is also worth to note that if you are looking for more upscale setting, try the other branch at SW 27th avenue (also name Las Culebrinas), I am not sure the originality of the food is the same, although locals recommended that branch too. Believe me, this is not the same as those eateries at South Beach area that call themselves “Cuban Cuisine”.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“definitelymy favorite cuban for the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

the place is small, one could say cozy, nothing special, but the food: definitely and consistently the best, and I have been going for many years and go to a fair # of Cuban restaurants. The new one by US1 and 27 ave is much nicer and food also good, but somehow its not quite the same. myfavorites: garbanzo and chorizo appetizers, the vaca frita, fufu, and for desert crema catalana.

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best Restaurant ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I went to eat at Las Culebrinas we ordered paella and drank sangria. Let me tell you about the paella. First look online the menu there are some food that takes 45 minutes that means that it needs to be cooked so I suggest calling an hour earlier so they can start cooking it. Because if u get there hungry you'll be waiting a long time. The paella a la valencia is for 2 person it was the best paella ever. A lot of seafood!!!!!. The sangria it was the best too. I asked for the jar let me tell it was a lot oh man I thought it will never run out of sangria. I never ate at a restaurant so good than at las culebrinas. The server was very attentive he knew everything we were asking him. I really recomend this palce. Its located at 47 ave nw 7st.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Local residents like it, too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

This restaurant is lcoated just a short walk from the Hampton Inn in Coral Gables, and was recommended to us by the desk clerk. The restaurant is somewhat dark, but features an upstairs bar and, on the night we were there, live music. We did not have a reservation, but arrived around 8 pm on a Saturday night, before the evening rush, and got seated right away. The wait staff was attentive and mostly patient as we took a while looking at the menu. Of note was the fact that our water glasses were never allowed to get close to being empty. We selected a pork medallion entree and a skirt steak entree and were pleased by the presentation and taste of each. A coconut flan and Cuban coffee (espresso) topped off a very nice meal. Apparently there are four locations for this restaurant; this one was certainly a good choice.

• Visited February 2011