“Good location, poor cleaning” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
Washington DC
“Good location, poor cleaning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned, the Coral Gables Extended Stay has a great location, just a block or two off of the Miracle Mile, and other amenities such as a Walgreen's, Winn-Dixie, and LA Fitness (pass included with your stay) are less than a mile away. There is plenty of parking in the lot, though it isn't free.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem is the cleanliness of the rooms. My room suffered from two big problems: the refrigerator doors were covered in what at first appeared to be spilled food - brown spots everywhere. The front desk sent someone later that day to clean it, but the spots returned within a few hours. After closer examination, I realized that it was actually rust spots all over the fridge door. Technically dirt - no. Very unsightly - yes.

The other problem was the copious long black hairs all over the carpet. It's as if someone combed their hair all over the room, and it was pretty clear that the room had been sparsely vacuumed, if at all, before my arrival.

Lastly, you are scheduled one cleaning for every week - only one. Despite scheduling it at the front desk for midway through my stay (two weeks total), room service never came as scheduled.

As other reviewers also mentioned, the breakfast bar includes very little - coffee, apples/bananas, and oatmeal packets. Not a huge deal given the fridge, stovetop, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker in your room, but still hardly an added value.

The included LA Fitness pass is nice; however, the LA Fitness nearby is almost always extremely busy.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the parking lot in the back will be quieter than the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The housekeeping and the scheduled cleaning issued you described are unacceptable, I sincerely apologize for your experience. With your comments in hand, I have met with the staff, and we will review our housekeeping policies, ensuring that a situation like yours is not repeated.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly, at MCG @extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

As I said in title,this hotel makes me relax when I return tired.There are microwave oven and refrigerator. I can not expect more. And the price is totally affordable since we are students.The location is good ,too. We can find ATM ,market and store nearby. My friend and I are all satisfied with this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Eileen R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Coral Gables, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Miami - Coral Gables. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Positives: great location, there is a kitchen in the room, hotel provides vouchers to LA fitness gym which is very nice.
Cons: not clean -they really need to work on this, rooms are not cleaned daily (you must pay an extra fee to have your room cleaned), the "grab-n-go" breakfast is literally that (it is coffee, a snack bar and a piece of fruit - no chairs or dining area so no place to sit); since people can cook in their rooms our room really smelled from the prior tenant.

• Stayed February 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a very good location, a very clean hotel, good service and reasonable price. It has a kitchen so you dont have to go out. The area is fantastic, and it´s very hard to stay in this area without paying an arm and a leg. We enjoyed having a kitchen since we were tired at the end of the day and did not want going out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for a little while now as I am buying some property nearby and setting up our new business office. I found the location to be terrific and the people warm and friendly. Particularly, I have enjoyed the assistance of Juan and Cristy at the front desk as well as all the assisting staff at night. Lots of friendly smiles and genuine warmth. They have been very helpful always.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel location is ideal. Good Restaurants within walking distance. Very clean and pleasant. Great customer service from everyone. Was not impress however how manager Adriana treated fellow employee. Right in front of us they were disrespected. I would not return with such hostility. Otherwise good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road cars can heard going by with windows close. Windows not thick enough.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eileen R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about the services and the staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

I am grateful for the opportunity to respond to your concern. I have spoken with my manager and reviewed the importance of being professional and polite with each and every guest including staff members, no matter how busy we may be. It is my sincere hope that apart from this unfortunate occurrence, the rest of your stay with us was satisfying.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel actually turned out to be so much better that I expected! I wasn't expecting it to be awful or anything,The beds seemed new and were very comfortable. There are nice flat screen tv's in the rooms. They have free wifi and it's pretty fast!
They offer a free breakfast, which I always appreciate. The location is great, near everything.
Very polite and friendly people that work at this Extended Stay! The best of all past experiences. Hotel rooms and the general cleanliness, makes a comfortably stay. The customer service are really nice, Adriana, Robert, Christy and all of them are wonderful! Recommend this place to anyone! Definitely will return without a doubt!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Eileen R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Miami - Coral Gables, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. I'm pleased that you mentioned such items as our new beds, our new flat screen TVs and our complimentary WI FI. We also offer as you mentioned our new Grab and Go breakfast and our goal is to continue improving our services. I would also like to thank you for mentioning our services and specially our staff as they are the people that makes the difference. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Been to Extended Stay America - Miami - Coral Gables? Share your experiences!