“BED BUG CENTRAL” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Tampa, Florida
“BED BUG CENTRAL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Terrible hotel!! Complained at check out about bed bugs found in my bed after room service came, management only gave us $20 off and a appology. They Refused to give us a larger refund because of "maintenance expences". This came from the owner!!!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
JoePalermoGM, General Manager at Gables Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear allme010,
I would like to express my apologies about your previous experience with us.
We appreciate you bringing the bed bugs concern to our attention; our pest control company reported after checking all areas of your stay that it was clear of any infestation and they experience similar incidents with people traveling from an infested area.
If your future plans will bring you to Miami, please give us the opportunity to restore your faith and confidence with us.
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Islamorada, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We booked this room because it was the closest place we could find to stay to arrive early the next morning for surgery. The first room we were put in, after the desk person played with the computer for over 5 minutes selecting a room, was bare. We turned on the heat (reverse cycle AC on wall), and it caught on fire, setting off the fire alarm. We were transferred to another room, and the desk clerk didn't even go back to that room as far as I know, maybe to check on the fact that there might still be a fire after we quickly turned off the AC.

It was a cold night in Miami. There were no hangers, no blankets, TV didn't work, hard bed and flat pillows, no amenities such as a hair dryer or coffee pot (which would have helped with the basically unheated room). The heater worked about 5 minutes, then cut off. We tucked clothes under the sizeable gap at the door to keep the coldwind out. I slept under my coat for warmth.

The next morning I tried to take a shower, and could not get even warm water after running the water for 3 minutes. Water rationing concerns prevented me from running the water any longer, so we had to go unshowered to surgery. When I complained to the front desk that there was no hot water, he said that I should have run the water for 10 minutes, and then it would get hot, because they had a propane Instant Hot water system. Laughable!

There was NO concern about the fire in the first room, as the morning desk clerk didn't even know about it. They refused to reduce our payment because of fire, lack of hot water, blankets, TV didn't work, etc.

This place should be shut down. This is next to the worst place we have ever stayed. The worst was an "hourly hotel" we were put into as Red Cross volunteers after a Florida Hurricane!!!!

Although we had booked for 2 nights, we checked out to chance getting another place. We were DELIGHTED to find Kendall Inn and Suites, right next to Baptist Hospital, only $10 more, and we got a discount, Happy Hour, free full breakfast, marble and granite, countertops, mini-bar, coffee maker with coffee, huge TV, luxury linens, all amenities expected in bath, great HOT shower, balcony, blackout curtains, free internet access, close parking, friendly service, very comfortable bed with lots of fluffy pillows, and down comforter.

What can Trip Advisor do to be sure that NO ONE recommends this deplorable hotel?
To have a rating of 10 our ot 14 Miami Hotels is a disservice to your readers who rely on you for advise. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
amiralmir, Manager at Gables Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Dear Islamorada3,
I am truly sorry for your negative experience during your stay with us. I would like to assure you that all the problems you had were addressed and taken care of. Please let us know next time when you will be in Miami and we will make sure your experience will chance to a positive one.
Sincerely
Management
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

If you're in town for a quick trip, I would suggest staying here. I wasn't keen to stay here after reading some of the reviews on the property, but for the price and the convenience it was worth. The room we got was really clean; I've been in places where I've really regretted paying more for what I thought would be a great stay. I have friends at UM which is just accross the street and they recommended it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

The hotel website makes this place look like a hidden gem. Don't be deceived by great camera angles and selective editing. This place was sad.

I was given a room facing the street. I told them I was a light sleeper, that street noise would be a problem. They assured me the street was quiet at night. Yep, it was quiet, from 3AM - 7AM. I found out the hard way that Dixie Highway is the main drag through town!

The room was dirty, hand prints all over the walls, grime in the tub, the mirror looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages and the bed appeared to have come from a thrift store.

Internet wouldn't reach my room. I was told by the desk clerk to bring my laptop and sit outside the office where I could get a signal. When I said that defeated the purpose of in-room internet, the reply was "It is wireless. What do you expect?"

Two women were carrying around another girl too hung over to walk the next morning and there was a car parked in back that looked like it hadn't moved in weeks.

I was supposed to stay three nights. I checked out after one night (leaving all the cleaning supplies I bought to clean the room). They must be used to this because they didn't bother trying to convince me to stay.

Stayed March 2008
JoePalermoGM, General Manager at Gables Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Dear dancemaker,
As the new manager of this property, I want to apologize if your past experience did not meet your expectation. I would like to assure you that we are doing our best to minimize the noise from the street, as well as having more options for light sleepers. We have upgraded our internet package, as well as the room appearance and and if you can give us the chance, we will like to provide you with a better overall experience.
Sincerely, Management
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

We were a bit wary of staying in this motel because of some of the earlier Tripadvisor reviews. However there weren't many affordable hotels in Coral Gables that had vacancies when we were visiting (just after the Superbowl) so we decided to go for it.

In fact we found it a very pleasant and comfortable, if basic, motel, representing good value for money. We had two different rooms for two separate segments of our stay (before and after a weekend trip to another part of Florida) and both were extremely spacious by UK budget hotel standards. Both had two double beds (plenty for two people!), and the second one also had a fridge and microwave. The decor was not brand-new but everything was in working order and was clean. Free coffee and bagels were available at breakfast time. The staff we met were friendly and spoke excellent English. (I think it may have changed hands or at least be under new management since the previous reviews were written).

It fronts on to a busy highway so noise might be a problem in some of the rooms if you're a light sleeper. However our rooms were at the back and seemed fairly quiet.

Main roads in that part of the world are a bit lacking in pedestrian crossings so you might find it hard to get around without a car, even though the Miami area has reasonable public transport. Our friends live not far away on the other side of the highway but we couldn't figure out how to get to their place on foot.

Stayed February 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2005

I stayed there during summer and the customer service was terrible. They didnt speak english and I had a hard time communicating with them. They gave me a hard time regarding payments and so I drove a bit south on US 1 to find Terrace Inn which was a much better place and better customer service. I dont think Gables Inn should continue to operate in this manner. They are well located near UM but provides a terrible experience for those trying to transition in to University Life

• Stayed August 2005
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

My kid is a student at UM and I help her unpack and pack. I go down for a quick trip and don't want to spend a lot of money for a hotel that I only sleep in.

I think this place has gotten a bad rap from people that expect more. For $75 (or so) a night, it's fine. This hotel is an old style hotel. If you want amenities, don't go here.

If you want clean sheets, clean sink, a bathroom that works, this place is fine. Continental breakfast has bad coffee but OK fruit. (Who cares... walk three blocks and there is a Starbucks...)

I have stayed here 3-4 times and plan to go again.

I can't vouch for phone system but recommend you use your cell phone. If you need to be online, go to Starbucks three blocks away and use T-mobile (or get an broadband wireless card). Note: You can still use the Starbucks T1 by parking outside even after hours.

Staff tries to be helpful but English (and Spanish) is not primary language.

I've never had a problem but, as they say, your gas mileage may vary.

Stayed August 2004

Been to Gables Inn? Share your experiences!