“Horrable Service” 1 of 5 stars

730 South Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, FL 33143   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
“Horrable Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2005

I stayed there during summer and the customer service was terrible. They didnt speak english and I had a hard time communicating with them. They gave me a hard time regarding payments and so I drove a bit south on US 1 to find Terrace Inn which was a much better place and better customer service. I dont think Gables Inn should continue to operate in this manner. They are well located near UM but provides a terrible experience for those trying to transition in to University Life

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

My kid is a student at UM and I help her unpack and pack. I go down for a quick trip and don't want to spend a lot of money for a hotel that I only sleep in.

I think this place has gotten a bad rap from people that expect more. For $75 (or so) a night, it's fine. This hotel is an old style hotel. If you want amenities, don't go here.

If you want clean sheets, clean sink, a bathroom that works, this place is fine. Continental breakfast has bad coffee but OK fruit. (Who cares... walk three blocks and there is a Starbucks...)

I have stayed here 3-4 times and plan to go again.

I can't vouch for phone system but recommend you use your cell phone. If you need to be online, go to Starbucks three blocks away and use T-mobile (or get an broadband wireless card). Note: You can still use the Starbucks T1 by parking outside even after hours.

Staff tries to be helpful but English (and Spanish) is not primary language.

I've never had a problem but, as they say, your gas mileage may vary.

Stayed August 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

We reserved a room in this hotel thru Orbitz. We chose this hotel because it is close to U of Miami and we were attending a graduation ceremony so we did not want to be too far away. We were suppose to stay at our friends place but some more people showed up and he made reservations for us in this motel because that is where we had reservations for the next night anyway. I would not recommend this hotel - I think that for the amount of money we paid - $89 - it is much better to go with some other hotel that is not that close. The room was really dirty. It made me sick. The staff - rude, stayed on his cell phone during the time we were checking in, would not answer our questions, claimed that we never made reservations. For the second night, reservation did not exist either. We made it through Orbitz but I still wonder if the reservation really wasn't there or maybe he was too lazy to check properly. Don't get me wrong - we were happy that they did not have our reservation. We were more than glad to go somewhere else.
So, do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

I made reservations last week to stay for a minimum of 2 days at the "Gables Inn" Hotel located at 730 South Dixie Highway, Miami (in the Coral Gables area). The description of the hotel in the web was attractive for a hotel offering a great price and location. At registration I was informed that the nigthly rate would be $20 more than originally quoted. The room was neither clean nor functional, the night lamps were not working and the sheets did not have a clean smell (I suspect they had not been changed). Furthermore, the telephone did not work and I only became aware of it after a relative tried to contact me later that evening. As I walked into the lobby I was told I had a message and as I returned the call I learned that my relative had tried to contact me numerous times during the past 6 hours having the receptionist transfer the calls giving the appearance that the phone was ringing in the room, the fact is that the room's phone was not working. As I approached the night clerk at the reception desk I discovered that he had no communication skills neither in English (Country's official language) nor Spanish (language frequently spoken in this part of the US). After a fairly uncomfortable night I decided to check out early the following morning; at that point the clerk tried to convince me to stay another day offering a $10 discount. As I clearly stated my desire to check out he proceeded to charge my credit card for which I luckily kept the signed copy because he did not provide me with a Hotel receipt. Feeling abused and dissapointed (and with about $100 less in my personal networth) I drove away and found a few blocks down the road a Hampton Inn Hotel which compared to this rathole felt like a Palace. The irony of the story is that this new hotel was about $15 less than the Gables Inn. Bottom line, I can't see any responsible travel service promoting this type of place and for this reason I will follow-up with a call to the regional office of the Chamber of Commerce, Tourism Information Office and the local chapter of the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection Agencies. Thank you for your attention to this note!

Been to Gables Inn? Share your experiences!