“Economical option if you need to be near the U” 3 of 5 stars

Gables Inn
730 South Dixie Highway, Coral Gables, FL 33143   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Boulder, CO
“Economical option if you need to be near the U”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I came here to visit my son, a student at the U of Miami. It is very convenient to the University, and provides a basic clean and large room with continental breakfast for a relatively inexpensive price. I didn't go expecting much because most of the time I was not going to be in the hotel, I was going to be outside, so I just looked for the cheapest place to stay. The staff was very helpful, and if you are looking for OK accomodations for an inexpensive price, this place should do just fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back, since the front rooms are closer to the highway and you can hear the car...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Don't stay. Sleep in your car! The curtains were okay, but I was afraid to touch them. The people in the parking lot scared me. We were only given one wash rag and one hand towel. We both would have enjoyed our own.

• Stayed March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here for a night as late & couldn't find anywhere else with a vacancy on the highway. Very noisy, door wouldn't close properly, couldn't plug sink . We aren't fussy but can't really say anything positive about this place. We had been travelling for 3 months & this was the worst place we stayed. Stayed on Miami Beach the night after for less money

Room Tip: Don't stay at the front as very noisy all night from the road & the train
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gdansk, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Overpriced, old, ugly, loud, feels dirty - I could not sleep at all. I am not sure that it is even leagal to run a place like it. Don't ever go there.
It is disgrace to over poplw such place. We were scared all night long.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We booked this place because it was close to where my family was staying. I don't think you can find cheaper in the area. It seems to be in a pretty safe location, a little run down. The room was pretty clean, I did find some hair on the comforter, and I don't think it was cleaned to the standards of a high quality hotel. But for $100 a night in this area you can't expect much. The bed was rather uncomfortable as well. If you are looking at this place for a place to sleep for a short period of time I would recommend it. Anything other than that I would pay the extra $ to be more comfortable. The one real positive thing was the staff, they were very helpful and nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Zagreb, Croatia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We took this motel because of the price and location but it is really terrible. It is very loud, located on main street. There is no lobby and when you exit your room you are directly at the street. It is very humid inside for some reason so all of my clothes stunk!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Middletown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for about 8 days in June 2012, for my third stay in 2.5 years. As was true during my previous stays as well, I found this hotel to be very reasonably priced, and I found the hotel to be very safe, clean, cozy, quiet. and comfortable. And, I find the rooms to be quite spacious and airy, compared to other Florida hotels in this (inexpensive) price range.

The only problem that I will note that I have encountered on each stay here is that the WiFi coverage of the free WiFi system is quite spotty, and it seems that there are a number of rooms at the hotel where the WiFi signal is not strong enough to be usable. However, each time that I have encountered this problem, the hotel staffers have immediately offered to relocate me to a room with known solid and strong WiFi service. What the hotel staffers have repeatedly told me across the years regarding this problem with the WiFi is that several of their WiFi nodes/boxes are located on outside walls of the hotel, and that the damp salt air tends to quickly invaded the devices and cause corrosion, rendering them inoperable. This then results in weak WiFi signals in certain rooms in the hotel.

If and when I need to return to Coral Gables for my consulting work, I will not hesitate to stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: If you need WiFi in your room, be sure to ask the front desk staff to put you in a room with good/pr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Gables Inn? Share your experiences!