“Dated and very loud” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
London, United Kingdom
“Dated and very loud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We chose this as the nearest Place to the University as I had some business there before going of to The Keys for a few days of fun. Looked ok from the website photos, and ok from the outside. The place is a real through-back to the 50's and not in a good way. The rooms are spacious and the furniture furniture is dated, as is the decor overall. It is not the cleanest of places, and the toilet backed up when we were there, so had to move to another room, which was no better. The worst is the traffic noise from the South Dixie Highway. One of the wondows in the room is louvered and so all noise came through and maybe you are better of with a room at the back, but I found it intolerable. as you are right next to the busy highway. The breakfast is really nothing much to write home about, and you have to collect it from reception (bagels & coffee was all we got one morning), and you either take it to your room or attempt to eat it in their outside area, were you have to shout to be heard over the Highway noise. Will not stay there again

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

my wife and I enjoyed staying at the gable inn because of the excellent location
clean and peacefull , staff was nice ,the breakfast was good

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

This place looks great from the outside and is in a fantastic location. We did not have a reservation, we were walk ins. At $79/night + tax for two people, it is overpriced. When we first got to the room it seemed okay, large room with TV and itty bitty fridge. Sink was separate from toilet and shower, AC worked well. So we plopped ourselves on the bed and relaxed for a while. About half an hour later I decided to take a shower. In the bathtub there were about 10 dead ants with wings. It looked like maybe the tub had been sprayed with pesticide resulting in the carnage I found. At first I thought not a big deal, at least they spray for bugs. But then I found a few live ones crawling around the bathroom including one on my foot as I was getting ready to shower, and upon closer inspection more dead ones on the floor and even on the towels. The hotel has a policy of no refunds after 15 minutes so that combined with the fact we were exhausted led us to suck it up and just stay there. The bed was hard, even my husband thought so, and the pillows (three) were super flat. I had to double mine up to make it comfortable. Comforter was satiny soft on top, but itchy and scratchy underneath, and the sheets, while they basically looked clean, felt grainy and dirty. Yes, there is a lot of traffic and train noise, but it didn't bother us. We were disappointed especially with what we paid for the room, and would not recommend this place or stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I wish i didn't have to choose how many circles. It should be none. I saw the picture on the internet looked clean and nice. We were so disappointed the air conditioning was a wall unit we had reservations NO turned on the air it was 95 to 100 degrees in the room. when we arrived at 10:00pm with our 3 children 11, 4, 10 months. the room didn't cool down until 1:30am. Next morning all the clothes in the suitcase were damp because of the humidity in the room. My husband tried to take a shower NO water pressure at all tub was filthy. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spend the extra money to stay somewhere else we checkd out the very next day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We stayed here because we had been driving for a bit, were tired and could not find a room in one of the better places around. The room needs major updating, especially the bathroom. Staff was very nice, the breakfast was very enjoyable at the little outdoor patio.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Middletown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I learned in September 2010 that I needed to travel to the Coral Gables area from Oct. 27 through Nov. 5. I have stayed in Coral Gables in the past (twice in the late 1990s), at a nice hotel in the north end, but a bit of research showed that the hotel in question has since changed hands and is now pretty expensive; I lost interest in it quickly.

So, I did a very comprehensive web search for god but relatively inexpensive hotels in the Coral Gables area, and I kept being drawn to the Gables Inn website. Within 12 hours of having completed my research, my gut sense told me to make a reservation only at the Coral Gables for my upcoming stay in the Miami area; I believe, if I remember correctly, that I prepaid for the stay online via the hotel website to get the cheapest rate.

My stay in the hotel turned out to be wonderful. This is definitely not a 5-star hotel, and it it is not priced as one either, but it provided all the basics, plus some nice amenities that I did not expect. The room was large and spacious and meticulously clean, and while the bathroom showed a bit of age, it was clean and very workable. The desk clerks and the owners were very friendly, as were other guests whom I sometimes bumped into in the lobby when I visited the front desk.

Some of the nights during my stay were rather chilly, and the heat pump portion of the window air conditoner/heater was more than adequate to keep my room very warm, despite the fact that I had windows on both sides of the room open a bit all day and all nite.

About the only negative thing that I can think of is that the room, when I first arrived, smelled rather strongly of chlorine bleach, and I assumed at first that this was likely due to the fact that the housecleaning staff perhaps scrubbed the sparkling tile floors with chlorine bleach (I dealt with the smell by opening the windows a bit.) However, I quickly noticed that the chlorine smell grew more intense after each of my morning showers, and a bit of snooping around and sniffing the tap water showed me that the local municipal tap water seemed to be heavily chlorinated, and that my morning showers were releasing sufficient chlorine gas into the room to create the smell. I guess that anyone who lives in a house that uses chlorinated municipal water would already be familiar with ths phenomenon, but it was all new to me, as I live in a pristine wilderness area in the Appalachian mountains in the mid-Atlantic coast, and our water is fresh unprocessed mountain well water, and so I was and am rather unfamiliar with heavily-chlorinated municipal water!

Before closing, I must also note that there is a great little Mexican taco/burrito joint located just a short walk to the north, and just a few yards further north is Don Pan, an excellent Venezualan bakery/breakfast/lunch cafe that is simply amazing. I walked to each of them almost every day for breakfast and lunch, and sometimes dinner as well.

Overall, I really liked this hotel, and I plan to stay here each time that I return to the Coral Gables area on my trips, and I happily informed the very friendly owners of the hotel (who seem to be two Indian brothers, one of them an engineer-turned-hotelier) of that fact as I checked out on my last morning before heading to the airport.

My memories of this hotel and of the immediate area are all positive, and I would recommend this hotel in a second to someone looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel in the Coral Gables area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Terrible hotel!! Complained at check out about bed bugs found in my bed after room service came, management only gave us $20 off and a appology. They Refused to give us a larger refund because of "maintenance expences". This came from the owner!!!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
JoePalermoGM, General Manager at Gables Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear allme010,
I would like to express my apologies about your previous experience with us.
We appreciate you bringing the bed bugs concern to our attention; our pest control company reported after checking all areas of your stay that it was clear of any infestation and they experience similar incidents with people traveling from an infested area.
If your future plans will bring you to Miami, please give us the opportunity to restore your faith and confidence with us.
Management

Been to Gables Inn? Share your experiences!