“Classic hotel bearing the Westin name and amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
New York City, New York
“Classic hotel bearing the Westin name and amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I spent a layover in Miami at the Colonnade hotel, an older classic hotel with modern Westin natural touches. The hotel itself was beautiful and very convenient to the airport without being in a seedy location.

My only complaint is that I had to argue my way into an upgrade even as a Platinum SPG member, but eventually they put me in an amazing duplex suite on one of the top floors.

The staff was very friendly and went above and beyond. I forgot my breakfast voucher at the front desk, so I called to check about it and before I hung up the phone someone was at my door with it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thanks so much for your kind words about your stay in the Gables. If your travels bring you back to the Miami area in the near future please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to insure your stay is once again a refreshing one!

Be Well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Dubbo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

More old style than we normally go for but handy to business area although out of the way from south beach/
we had a room near the elevator which was very noisy (beware).
To be fair the manager was very understanding & provided a free breakfast (very tasty too !!)
which was a nice response..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
On behalf my Ambassadors at Service Express thank you for taking the time to right a review on Tripadvisor! My apologies that you could hear some elevator noise but I do believe we have the best location in the Gables and we are not far from anything...even South Beach. Please contact me directly if your travels bring you back to the Gables and I will insure your stay is an inspired one! Also I would love you to try our Brand new Normans 180 Restaurant on your next stay!

Be Well
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

This hotel was very inconvenient for anyone on vacation in Miami for the first time. It was a $35 cab ride (about 30 min by taxi) one way to South Beach and downtown Miami (not "nearby"). The hotel was under construction so not very aesthetically pleasing. It took about 3/4 of a block to get to the ONE elevator. The fire alarm going off in the middle of the night made the 9 flight descent down the stairs even more infuriating when the few of us outside did not see any fire truck or any of the staff outside. We all walked to the front of the building and went back in. We arrived at the front desk where the staff were chatting amongst themselves and when asked about the alarm, said "it's ok". Why wasn't an announcement made over the speakers? The hotel accentuated a "spa-like lifestyle" and lo and behold no spa. When asked about spa services we were told they would call out to some random place to have service in your hotel room (a bit sketchy). Imagine our surprise when we walked outside and right next to the hotel is a spa....why wouldn't the concierge mention this? Outside the hotel, there are a few shops on Miracle Mile but, frankly, it all pales in comparison to South Beach and downtown Miami which is where the real tourist attractions are. The hotel does not provide a free shuttle to the airport like most hotels, and instead promoted their $16 flat rate with the taxis. Interestingly enough, when we got an honest cab driver, he dropped us off at the airport rental car area for only $13. There are also many small amenities like free wi-fi ($12.95 fee a day) or vending machines that you would come to expect at a 2 star hotel like Holiday Inn Express let alone a "4 star" hotel. My advice is to either 1)get one of the upscale hotels in South Beach or downtown Miami or 2)stay at the Holiday Inn Express...at least you'll get your money's worth.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bookbag429, let me first apologize that your stay here at the Westin did not live up to your expectation. We are located in the Gables which many guests appreciate as the destination versus a springboard to other areas of Miami including South Beach. I do apologize if you were led to believe otherwise on location. We did in fact have some minor construction in our lobby as we changed our reception area and added a gift shop (you had mentioned we do not have vending machines) which did occur over the Holidays and was just completed on Jan 15th. I did feel we provided ample ambiance in our front living room during this time frame We do have Westin Spa services at the ready for our guests but it is an in -room versus spa setting which is a Westin standard. I understand cab fare is a flat rate of $16 to the airport, if you travel somewhere outside of that..car rental return center you are on the meter. Again my apologies that you did not feel you got the value for your stay here in Coral Gables.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Very discourteous and unfriendly staff. My family was very disturbed in the way we were treated. I have stayed in many Westins and this was the worst experience. Will not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to respond on tripadvisor about your recent stay here in Coral Gables. I am very sorry that you were treated abrubtly by any Ambassador on my staff as we take alot of pride in our small boutique hotel feel with freindly accomodating associates. I would have an interest in hearing what happened during your interaction with one of my Service Express agents so that proper training may occur...I can be reached at gm@westincoralgables.com. Once again my apologies that your stay was not inspiring. Be well and hoping to hear from you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

When we arrived, Maria Camparo the front desk rep kindly checked us in. However, given the four diamond status, we were surprised at the stains on the seats & couch. The concierge, Tyler and Maria were very nice and quickly switched our rooms. We were also given comp breakfast tickets for the inconvenience. The staff all around the hotel were very nice and accommodating (including the restaurant Norman's 180). We enjoyed our stay very much and loved the breakfast in Norman's :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Upon arriving in Miami on a late flight, American Airlines lost my husband luggage which put us in a crumpy mood to say the least. However, after arriving to the hotel after midnight, George, the front desk clerk, did everything that an excellent CSR could do. He was extremely courteous, sympathetic to our situation, upgraded us to a nice room and was very professional. This all made perfectly good sense to me, once I met the front desk manager, Joshua Norris. We wanted to pay cash and reverse the credit card charges, however, the credit card people was giving us a hard time. Joshua were persistant with callbacks to the company until the charges was reverse before we went on our cruise. This is an example of awsome and exemplary service that stemed from management down to his staff. Thank you for such extraordinary service at such a critical and nerve-wretching time during our vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
Thanks so much for your positive gift of feedback! I will insure both George and Josh are recognized for their efforts to turn an unfortunate incident to a positive outcome. In these times it's so easy for people to only recognize the negatives of travel, thanks for taking the time to recognize a couple of my ambassadors who make a difference.

Be Well and Hope to see you back in the Gables soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

Everyone was very nice, but the valet was MIA more than 1/2 the time I needed them. On one occasion the valet was down the street getting food. I saw the concierge once during the 3 nights I stayed. Restaurant in the hotel only serves until 10:30 am on SUNDAY. Building is a classic and in a terrific location, but the rooms and hallways are tired and in need of renovation. The rooms are far from sound proof. You can hear every noise up and down the hall. The gym is a joke--dirty and aged. This is a 3 star property with 1 star service.

• Stayed October 2010
My apologies Travelaroundoften that your recent stay here was less than satisfactory. I do appreciate your gift of feedback. If I could possibly get more detail from you regarding times and such of my Valet staff MIA I would be more able to follow up as they are a third party to the Hotel. As far as the hours of operation of our 3 meal restaurant Normans180,with Celebrity Chef Norm Van Aken, we have already adjusted hours of operations on Sunday for Breakfast thru to 2pm in the afternoon. The shortened breakfast hours were during their ramp up period from opening Breakfast for the first time after Labor Day. I do appreciate the pictures that you included in the you note, the pool issues are being addressed as you clearly show we are installing electrical outlets so we can light up the Palm Trees once we install almost 60K worth of new South Beach style furniture in the Spring to really liven up this area, unfortunately our painter had patched the holes but not painted around the outlets as of the time of your stay. I will review your commnets on Workout area as our equipment is all under 3 years old and on a monthy maintenance program. The one vent screen in the GYM has been switched out as they do tend to rust quickly with the humidity of the pool deck area. Once again thanks for your feedback and I hope you will contact me in the near future and we will insure your next stay to be an Inspired one!

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!