“Nice area but some odds and ends” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
San Jose, CA
“Nice area but some odds and ends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

For the location, I would say very good. But here are some odds and ends that make this less than a Westin experience.

- historical building/character (some people might really enjoy this) but as a business traveller, you pretty much need to valet park, the lobby of the hotel is on the 2nd floor so you need to go up an escalator to get to the lobby, as for my bags the porter brought them up to checkin and then from checkin the bags too 30mins to get to my room AFTER calling the bell desk to have them sent up a little faster. Front desk wasn't terribly friendly.
- most the rooms are either larger rooms w/seating tv area or this 2 story townhouse w/ a spiral staircase, might be either charming or very odd
- sofabed was terrible
- needed to wait for housekeeping to make the sofabed which was yet another 30mins when i checked in around 9pm and obviously my family needed to sleep relatively soon
- so just the service was a bit off and seems to do every little thing everyone expected to be tipped
- didn't use the roof top pool but it looked quite lovely, exercise room pretty small, no other amenities
- overall a bit lacking for a Westin but just average service makes me want to pass on coming back

Room Tip: find one close to the elevator, this building snakes around so u could have a long walk to your room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Hello Bo C,

Thank you for your gift of feedback. Your experiences truly allow us to gain tools for improvement in all areas that might require it. Coral Gables is full of historical buildings ours being one of course highlighting our beautiful Rotunda. Luckily we have plans for a renovation of our guest rooms scheduled for next year so our guest can enjoy the NEW Westin atmosphere. If you would like to offer further details please feel free to contact me at dwelch@westincoralgables.com. We hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Miami feel free to contact me as well and I will be more than happy to assist you in making your stay flawless. Be Well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our company party was held at the Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables. The space was lovely and very beautifully decorated. The staff was friendly and very attentive. The food was absolutely delicious and and plentiful! We spent the better part of the night dancing, laughing and enjoying the great ambiance.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hello OKougi,

Thank you for your kind words! We're glad to hear your holiday party went off flawlessly! We here at the Westin Colonnade strive to make every event and every guests stay one to remember! We hope to continue to make great memories for you and your coworkers for your next company event! Be Well!
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Hotel is located in beautiful Coral Gables area, where there are plenty of shops, restaurants and atractions near by (ie. Miracle Mile)
The hotel entrance and building itself is very attractive. The romos have plenty of room an all the necessary conveniences. Staff as reception provide friendly and effective customer service.
in the same building of the hotel you have a Samba Suchi Lounge - good for a drink, people watching and fussion (brazil - japanese) food.- lively environment - Also a Mortons Steak house is in the premises ... but I was not lucky with the service provided - although good in the bar (great martinis) ... not so good in the main restaurant lounge,
Possibly will return in my next Miami visit.

Room Tip: room with patio view # 383
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hello Viajero961,

Thank you for your gift of feedback. We are delighted to hear that you had a great stay at our hotel. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel restaurant, Suahi Samba! Should your travels return you to Miami, we would be delighted to see you again. Be Well.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Wife and I were in town for a wedding on Key Biscayne, but did not want to pay Key Biscayne prices for a hotel room. Front office managers Kathy, Josh and Roxann were amazingly accommodating when we called to let them know we would be arriving very late, and needed some extra time the next day before checkout. We were supposed to arrive early evening the day after Thanksgiving, but were delayed and did not arrive until 4am the next morning. Valet parking was easy and so polite! Chris and Arturo seemed to be there every time I came for the car during the weekend. The hotel is older, but gorgeous and full of wonderful staff. We used to stay at the Hyatt on our trips to Miami, but not any more. The Westin has won us over.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hello Jared S,

Thank you for your kind words! We here at the Westin Colonnade strive to make every guests experience as flawless and refreshing as your recent one. I have passed this review along to our front office and will be sure to give them the good word. Should your travels bring you back to Miami, please feel free to contact us so that we can make your next stay just as flawless as the last. Be Well!
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Attended a wedding in their lovely main ballroom, it was absolutely beautiful! Food was excellent and served perfectly. We also stayed overnight, room was clean and bed was comfy. The Hotel has style and sophistication. The whole staff (front desk, servers, housekeeping) all had a friendly smile. Overheard hotel will go through a remodel soon. So it will be even better!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hello Jvharding,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are delighted to hear that you had such a great time staying with us. You heard correctly, we do in fact have plans to make our property even better in 2014. I will be sure to pass on your elevating experience with the hotel staff. I see that you are a Miami native however, should your travels bring you back to Coral Gables, please feel free to contact our Guest Relations Manager so that she can assist you in making your next stay just as refreshing as this one. Be Well!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Hi, My name is Jorge Salgado SPG Gold#42335498458
I checked in on Thursday November 21,2013 for 2 nights. I travel for business weekly and always stay at Starwood properties when available all over the world, and this is the first stay that has been a really bad to worst experience ever!
1. I check in after a long and delayed flight from Las Vegas and when I walked into into my room(503), the room had a very bad humidity, mildew awfull smell. I am very sensitive and alergic, so I called front desk and I was changed to room 302.
2. The air conditioner in this room 302, never worked, my room was hot all night, So I called front desk in the morning, engineering personell came in and told me the thermostat was not working properly. I asked for a room change, AGAIN!!! and I was given room (219).
3. I went out to work and when I come back to sleep, the Air Conditioner is not cooling, not working properly!! This is unbelievable and unacceptable!! I can't believe I threw away 10,000 Spg points and $150 in this garbage hotel!! Never again!!! Jorge Salgado

• Stayed November 2013
WestinC0ralGables, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hello JorgeSalgado,

Our apologies that your stay was less than perfect. Your concerns were reviewed with our upper management. We hope that should your travels return you to Miami, we hope that you will stay with us so that we can see to it that your stay is a refreshing one.
Estero, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The toilet in our room over-flowed at 2 pm. It took two tries to get my call to the desk answered and then I waited 20 minutes for the plumber to arrive, just before I had to leave to meet my family. Returned to the room after 7 pm to find the wet towels piled in the tub, toilet paper still in the commode, and no signs that any cleaning had been done.

I called the front desk, then the Westin “fast service” line and finally the emergency line - the phone rang and rang and was never answered so I had to trek back down to the lobby. Only then was the room cleaned and fresh towels supplied. God forbid there is ever a fire in this hotel - you would fry before they answer the phone. And if you let yourself think about the cleanliness of the bathrooms, you will surely have nightmares.

Room Tip: Most rooms are a very long walk from the elevator and all are quite a distance from the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Greetings Beachtango,

Thank you for your gift of feedback and giving the hotel the opportunity to utilize your experience as a tool for improvement. Guests are always our priority please rest assure that your experience was reviewed by the staff and it will assist us in improving our guest experience. Should your travels return you to Miami, feel free to contact our Guest Relations Ambassador and she will be glad to assist in the flawlessness of your stay. Be Well.

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!