“Just One Issue with Beautiful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Orlando, Florida
“Just One Issue with Beautiful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin for three nights in late March. Overall, the hotel was very nice, with a seating area and dual shower head in our room. We were also able to change from a room with two double beds to one with a king size bed at the last minute at no cost. I especially loved the $5 gift cards we received each day that we volunteered to go without the cleaning service. Our only issue was that, on the day we were supposed to check out, a woman working for the hotel knocked on our door at 8:30 am. When I answered, she looked at her clipboard and then said that we were checking out today, which I confirmed. (I believe that she was checking to see why we had not foregone cleaning services again, but it would have been nice if she had checked her records before waking us up). Then, at about 10:00 am, the same woman came knocking again and was asking when we would be checking out. The check out time was 12:00 pm, but for some reason, she urged my boyfriend to give her an idea of what time we would be checking out. We just did not appreciate feeling like we were being rushed out of our room when we had every right to wait until noon to check out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear , floridagirl 1617
Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables Hotel, and for taking the time to share your comments and concerns. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.
While we pride ourselves on guest service and customer satisfaction, we sometimes fall short of even our own expectations. Please be assured that we will take the necessary actions to ensure that we improve in the areas you mentioned. It is sometimes only through guest comments that we can be made aware of unacceptable situations and thus, take corrective measures.
We would be grateful if you would afford us another chance to prove ourselves to you when traveling again to Miami . Please feel free to call me directly in the future, as I would personally like to look after your arrangements to ensure that your stay is flawless.
Thank you so much for the gift of feedback
Be well and have an inspiring day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Coral Bay, St. John
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is dated, but the concierge was really nice and very knowledgable.We had some problems with WiFi and water pressure and the staff tried very hard to straighten out these issues.Of course the heavenly bed is always great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear evan 139
We want to thank you for your great comments regarding our Staff and their service. I was so sorry to hear your stay was any less than our # 1 goal, which is to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. I’m glad that our staff went ahead and straightens out all issues. We are looking forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Westin Coral Gables.
Be well.
Wayzata, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed at this property in one of the 2 story units. My husband and I were traveling with 2 18 year old boys and wanted to make sure that the upstairs unit had a door that closed for privacy. I called the hotel prior to reserving my room and asked to verify that there was in fact a door there. I was told there was a door. (No pictures of these rooms are on the website) Upon checking in.....no door. Why would someone purposely lie to a customer?

Ventilation in the room was poor. The room had ancient wiring, so old that the minibar was not plugged in. I asked the hotel engineer about that and his comment was that the mini bar was not designed to cool. (Another lie, I could see the cooling dial in the unit) Lighting was dim. We asked for an additional lamp and were told no.

I paid extra for breakfasts and internet. I was clear that no one took our breakfast vouchers in the dining room, so we wasted our extra cash on that "Upgrade" The internet was spotty at best, very slow and front desk staff really didn't know how to fix it.

Several days dirty towels were not replaced.

I asked the night manager why my room did not have the privacy door I requested. She apologized, was nice about it and asked "Is there anything I can do for you?" What was I supposed to say? I'm not a demanding person and in reality staff should have offered us some sort of rebate on our room cost, additional Starwood points or something. Why was I not offered something more than a generic how can I help statement?

I would have checked out but it was the busiest weekend of the year in Miami and everything was sold out. So we had to stay.

This is a worn and dated property, not at all like any other Westin I have stayed in.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear SusanB0706,
I want to thank you so much for your review and taking the time to share the gift of feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Westin Colonnade Coral Gables. I was so sorry to hear your stay was any less than our # 1 goal, which is to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. With your comments I will be going back to my management team so we can utilize to improve upon the service we strive to provide.
If your travels should ever return us to our hotel please feel free to contact me so I may personally see to the flawlessness of your stay.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This property has definitely seen better days. We used points to stay here for a friend's wedding in February. The hotel is easy to miss from the outside. Once inside, it is clear this was once a lovely and grand hotel. Our room felt dated, particularly the bathroom. Also, our room was not cleaned until the early evening, even though we vacated it early in the morning.

Our experience was okay, but we probably would not have stayed here if we had to pay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear neemz1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your comments and concerns. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I have spoken with our Management Team and we will take the necessary action and utilize your shared experience to enhance our service. We value your loyalty very much, please reach out to me directly at rsoto@westincoralgables.com, I will personally ensure your next visit is a refreshing one.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here a couple of days for a college visit with my son. Hotel experience was fantastic. Heavenly Bed and Shower were wonderful. Had room service the first night. Quick service, great food. Located a 5 minute walk from 40 different restaurants and shopping along Miracle Mile. Will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Liz H,
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you liked our Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower. I am happy to hear that you got to experience what the City of Coral Gables has to offer, on our great location on Miracle Mile. We love to welcome you back on your next visit to the Coral Gables Area..
boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We originally had a room that was impacted by some construction (dust and noise) that was occurring, after trying to "live" with it, we requested another room. The manager (Joshua Morris?) stepped in to accommodate us and couldn't have been more helpful. He bent over backwards to meet our needs (even moved our things when all the bellhops were tied up!)' and made sure we were comfortable and satisfied with our new digs. He even compted us for the first night in the unsatisfactory room. The other desk staff were also very solicitous, friendly and responsive. They however appeared to be under staffed since some of our housekeeping requests (e.g. request for more hangars, robes) took a bit of time to get answered and there was no one around to help take our luggage in from the car. However loads of events were happening in the area the time we were there and the hotel was in a transition of remodeling, refurbishing, and rearranging things - which could well account for service delays and such. But if there is excellent customer service, I'm willing to overlook a multitude of things!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear lbs301,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your recent stay. Although it’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay we appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve. I’m glad that our Front Office Manager Joshua Norris was able to accommodate you and provide you with an excellent service for a memorable stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Colonnade Coral Gables Hotel.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were in Miami for two nights, catching a cruise. All the hotels were booked in Miami, for what reason I don't know. This hotel was ok, I found it was a bit expensive for what you got. Our friends also stayed there and all the rooms were different. Ours was the smallest but we all paid the same money:( Room service was good but very expensive. I liked the green option of not having housekeeping and getting a voucher. I didn't like the fact that to get internet you had to click on a pay option but then they didn't charge. I figured for $300 per night internet would be free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Elaine H,
I want to thank you for your review and for taking the time to share the gift of feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I'm so sorry to hear that your stay was any less than our # 1 goal, which is to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. I’m glad that you liked our green choice option. If your travels should ever return you to our hotel please feel free to contact me so I may personally see to the flawlessness of your stay.
Be Well,

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!