“Great area, comfy room, a bit of noise” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Roswell, Georgia
“Great area, comfy room, a bit of noise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Westin in Coral Gables is in a wonderful area; locally owned restaurants and boutiques within walking distance. The hotel is beautiful. My room was comfy, as one would expect from a Westin. The room was large "L" shaped; with a separate sitting area, desk and bedroom area. Everything is clean and in great shape. The bathroom is a decent size; heavenly shower and granite countertops, everything in working order.

I ordered breakfast; typical fare for a Westin, and typical expensive, $26 for two eggs, bacon, toast, and potatoes. Arrived on time and was still hot.

Service at the front desk was great, very helpful staff.

The negative is that the hotel is alongside an alley that borders the back entrances to the shops, so I was awakened at 3:00AM with dump trucks emptying bins. This lasted almost an hour; the 'beeping' of the backup, and the 'bang bang bang' of emptying the bin. It is also difficult to find the front desk... but once you get there, you're all set.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room that does not border the alley. They need to negotiate a later garbage pi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear indianatraveller
We thank you for your kind review regarding our Westin Colonnade Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed the deluxe room, our Heavenly bed and Heavenly Shower. Our Team takes pride in ensuring our guests are able to relax and unwind in our beautiful accommodations while enjoying all that the Coral Gables area has to offer. Please reach out to me directly at Rsoto@westincoralgables.com and I will personally ensure your next visit is a refreshing one. Thanks again for your gift of feedback and we will look forward to welcoming you back!
Be Well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was on a business trip and stayed at this hotel. Getting to reception means asking as it isnt clear. The rooms are good. Location is convenient. Coffee in the rooms is handy. Service is average - I had a few issues and the front desk team wasn't very keen on solving this issues.
Menu is limited in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Nerry_Luvs_Travel,
Thank you for your review. Although it’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay we appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve. My apologies for the inconveniences you encountered while staying with us. If your travels should ever return us to our hotel please feel free to contact me so I may personally see to the flawlessness of your stay.
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Although I only had one night at the Westin, I wished I could have stayed longer. The room was wonderful - very spacious, with a separate sitting area and a generously sized bathroom. The real standout, however, was the incredible staff. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and attentive, and while I didn't need much on this visit, I know any need I had would be met by this exceptional staff. I hope to visit again on a future trip to the Miami area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear AmandaG,
We sincerely appreciate your comments on the level of service you received from our staff, which will be shared with our team. I’m glad you liked our spacious rooms. We hope to see you again very soon at the Westin Colonnade Hotel when your travels brings you to the Coral Gables Area.
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We are just checking out of the Westin after 5 nights in this city where we came to attend a friend´s wedding held in Key Biscayne. We felt very much at home in a great room (with plenty of space for all the shopping which we , as all brasilians , love to do in Miami. besides a great night sleep everyday we truly enjoyed the great buffet breakfast. We recomend.

Room Tip: If you are not specifically coming to Miami for the beach , this is a great choice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JoaoNagy,
Thank you for your kind review. I’m glad that you enjoy your stay with us. It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest. We hope to see you again very soon at the Westin Colonnade Hotel on your next visit.
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

One of the highlights in the Colonnade is the excellent breakfast buffet, which compares favorably with Hyatt Diamond ones in my experience. Sadly, there is rumor they may shut the breakfast operation and return to outsourcing with they have done before to very poor results. I hope tyey don't do that, but if they do the Hyatt is only a block away.

The staff are invariably very helpful and greet guests by name when they return, and remember preferences too. That is 5-star service.

The rooms are mostly what one would expect. The two floor executive suites have a bizarre corkscrew staircase, and have no bath on the lower level. If I am upgraded to one of those I request a downgrade to the very nice deluxe rooms.

The single huge frustration is the porter/garage ripoff. The garage is separate from the hotel so one not only has prices more than twice as high as other locations within a block, but the porter who unloads your bags cannot take them to your room, and the one who takes them from your room cannot put them in your car. They are all nice, but if you have bags you will feel ripped off. This should be addressed, but it has been the same way for years.

Reception is on a mezzanine floor above the ground floor, up a narrow escalator. It should be on the ground floor with access to rooms directly from the ground floor.

Otherwise this is a delightful place to be. There is a new sparking wine bar open in teh lobby every afternoon, with cheese and crackers also. It is always good.

The hotel has a planned renovation coming soon so now is the time for us to beg then to fix those nagging problems we've had for years. Please join me begging them to keep the breakfast, ditch the two porter scam and parking scam, and make other good changes.

Rumor has it the new restaurant to replace the defunct Normans 180 and the forgettable predecessors will be Sushi Samba. I wish them good luck, but I cannot even imagine how bad a breakfast from them would be. While it probably won't be worse than Normans 180 was, it certainly will be a big step down.

I have stayed here through all the changes because of the consistent good service. I will defect if they drop breakfast and fail to fix the porter/garage situation.

Room Tip: My personal favorites are mostly on the 2nd floor (really about the 8th because there are office bel...
Dear jbcarioca,

Thank you for the gift of feedback regarding our products and services. We strive to ensure a renewing experience for each of our guests. The Westin Coral Gables will continue to offer our guests the experiences and services that they have enjoyed on previous visits. Our staff takes pride in delivering personalized, instinctive and renewing service, and is always delighted to see a returning guest. it will be our pleasure to welcome you back upon your next visit to the Coral Gables area. Please feel free to reach out to me personally so that I may ensure your stay is a refreshing one; gm@westincoralgables.com.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are what you expect from a Westin -- comfortable, attractive and clean. The pool area is fantastic, the neighborhood is lovely, but it was the service that set this hotel apart for our family. They were friendly from the start and remained helpful and understanding even after our daughter became sick in the middle of the night and we needed new bedding. The same gentleman that helped us with such consideration then, was still there in the very early morning offering us snacks and juice for the kids as we left for our flight home. Sometimes small gestures make a big difference. Plenty of hospitality here!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear KattBlue,
We want to thank you for your great comments regarding our Staff and their service. We are looking forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Westin Coral Gables.
Be well.
east coast, usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is very pretty, and the rooms are clean. We had an accessible room (we did not request one), which provided plenty of room for our family of four, but it was not entirely practical (no tub, no closet). The furniture was a bit worn here and there, but overall, the room was lovely. The staff is very friendly, but the concierge did not always have the most relevant info. Twice, he had to look up information on the computer regarding local restaurants--aren't that many, so you would think he'd know something first-hand. I could have used my computer as well; I wanted his "expert" advice. Also, you should definitely rent a car if you want to get anywhere--the staff knew little about public transport, and taxis were not reliable when we were out somewhere. Despite having called the hotel to ask them to send a cab three times, we were left waiting at the University of Miami for over an hour and a half. We could have walked back to the hotel in that time, but no one at the hotel suggested that as an option. Essentially, this hotel is lovely, with a very beautiful pool area, in a fancy neighborhood with dress shops and restaurants, but not much else. Would recommend for a wedding or a night away for local residents. However, be aware that if you are staying there when there are weddings, it will be VERY noisy at night. We were near the elevator and the noise at night was constant. I must mention that the restaurant staff was wonderful!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear proofed,
Thank you for choosing the Westin Colonnade Coral Gables as your escape during your recent trip to Coral Gables. I am so sorry to hear of the inconveniences you had while trying to get a taxi back to our hotel. Your gift of feedback is treasured and will be used towards improvement to provide our guests the most personal attention.
If your travels should ever return you to our property, please contact me directly at Rsoto@westincoralgables.com so I may personally ensure a flawless return.
Be Well,

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!