“Cool hotel, awful experience, good customer service...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
Seattle, Washington
“Cool hotel, awful experience, good customer service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

First of all, I really liked the hotel. It's pretty unique, I had a neat two-level room (with a small spiral starway from floor to floor), and all fo the normal comfortable Starwood amenities like the bed and shower.

Unfortunately, the hotel missed my wake-up call, and as a result, I missed a morning flight home, and had to go through several hoops to get rescheduled on a later flight.

This is normally the sort of thing that drives me absolutely crazy, but I was very impressed with Kathy Garcia, the Supervisor, who helped talk me down, and provided some excellent client engagement and understanding, and ultimately made it up to me. This is a classic case where mistakes of course can happen, and the way that a hotel handles it makes all the difference. And kathy did a great job.

So, all in all, even though something bad happened, their service and the hotel itself is enough to justify me giving it another try. And I leave impressed with the service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Jeremymmason,
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you liked our Bi-Level Suite, and our Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower. My sincere apologies for the missed wake up call, we have addressed this accordingly with the department manager. Thank you for mentioning Kathy Garcia. I am delighted to hear that she was able to impress you with her professionalism and service recovery. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Miami!

485 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This property really rates a "fair" as I found it less than average. Certainly not what I expected for the brand or the location. The common areas are nice but the room was tired and in need of updating. Small, cramped bathroom. Very, very slow elevator service. The fitness center is small and substandard for any hotel let alone a "Westin Workout". Not even a basic set of free weights. Housekeeping skipped cleaning my room during the afternoon despite a specific request and 4 hours to do so. Parking fee is excessive for Coral Gables. Overall, just disappointed. I'm a loyal SPG Member (Plat) and expected much better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear SF2World,
My apologies that your stay in Coral Gables was not up to standards. We will be upgrading our Westin Workout room in 2013 which will include free weights. And we are currently updating one of our Hotel Guest Elevator which once is complete will be much faster. We do have signs throughout the Hotel for our Guest to use our Service Elevator. Our Valet parking prices are $24 per night which is reasonable for our area. Thank you very much for your feedback, I have spoken with our Management Team and we will take the necessary action and utilize your shared experience to enhance our service. We value your loyalty very much, please reach out to me directly at rsoto@westincoralgables.com, I will personally ensure your next visit is a refreshing one.
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Everyone from staff to valet were so attentive and curtious. I am definitely going back.. Had an awesome weekend with my friends. The view was amazing, the people were friendly. Just loved it. The clubs are close by. I was given fresh coffee at all times, something i cant live without.

Room Tip: Overall perfect
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you Carmen G for your kind comments and glad to hear you had a great stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

The customer service definitely meets the Westin standard. Front desk staff was helpful and professional. The bed was heavenly. There are plenty of places to eat near the hotel. However, the hotel's decor and vibe reminded me of sweet little old ladies. It seemed like the hotel was renovated in the last five years, so I cannot understand why gold fixtures and faux marble were abundant.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
We appreciate your kind comments about our customer service and our front desk staff. Our goal is to strive for you to leave here more refreshed than you arrived! I’m glad you enjoyed our proximity to the many restaurants, and our Heavenly Bed. Our hotel is attached to one of the first buildings constructed in Coral Gables build in 1926 by the City's founder George Merrick. The Hotel itself is not near that age, but was designed to incorporate the luxury of time past, along with modern luxuries of today.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Coral Gables!
Be Well.
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We spent a night at westin on the labor day right before we flew out and it was very good. We got upgraded. Hotel was not crowded at all,I guess because everyone was away on holidays. Swimming pool and lounge area were nice. Bed was really big and comfy! We didn't wanna wake up! Staff were friendly. Would def go back again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Chris H,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m delighted to hear that your stay was a relaxing one, and that you enjoyed the pool, lounge, and our Heavenly Westin bed. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Coral Gables!
George Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We just stayed the night at this hotel. It was ok and all the staff we met were very helpful. However, the room was very tired, as if it had not been looked at for months and it had that sour damp smell that rooms get when the AC runs at 63 degrees. The sofa was stained and smelled nasty. There was no safe for valuables in the room which meant we had to take our passports etc out with us. I found that odd. The mini bar did not work and so we did not use it. The valet parking is expensive but then I have a serious prejudice against all valet parking.

The location is great. Just don't expect it to be "really" Westin standard. It needs a serious update.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Mr. CaymanIcecream, thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your recent stay. Although it’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay we appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve. My apologies for the inconveniences you encountered with the AC, mini bar, sofa, and musty smell of the room. We are looking into this right away. Our Valet parking prices are $22 per night which is reasonable for our area, and still lower other hotels. Although 98% of our rooms have complimentary safes, we also have a few available free of charge at our front office. We value your business and always strive for you to leave here more refreshed than you arrived! Please contact me personally when your travels bring you back to Coral Gables

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables on business. I ended up having a few changes in logistical needs due to some unexpected meetings and the staff was amazing in helping me manage my bags and car. In particular, Kamal L, Orquidea R, Arturo R, and Bryant B were wonderful, courteous and I would recommend others to stay at this location with the level of service from the staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you rojasam56 for your kind comments regarding our Valet staff. I have shared your comments and our valet parking team are most appreciative that you mentioned them by name. We look forward to welcoming you to the Westin when your travels bring you back to Coral Gables.

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!