“Great Hotel, Rooms, Rates, Service, and Location” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mountain View, California
“Great Hotel, Rooms, Rates, Service, and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I used to live in South Florida for many years. Then I moved to California, and now I visit this area about 3 times a year, and I always stay here. This hotel is my favorite place to stay. It is truly a home away from home. There are so many things that make me come back here. It is located in the most beautiful city in South FL, Coral Gables. This city is so close to everything! It is only 10 min driving from Miami airport, downtown Miami, Coconut Grove, and about 15 min from South Beach. There are plenty of things to do within walking distance too. There are great restaurants and shops. This city also provides a free ride trolley, which takes me around Coral Gables and to the Village of Merrik Park for some more shopping. Sometimes I just prefer staying by the pool…enjoying the city views, which by the way now it has a food and bar menu.

Parking is really not a problem for me. There are several options, hotel valet parking and coin meters, but I usually park in a garage ½ block away from the hotel and with really good rates ($12/night). Comparing to the rates in South Beach or downtown Miami, this is great deal!

Also, the rooms are always really clean and comfortable. I always ask for the townhouse suite. It is really worth paying a little more than regular rooms. Having the living room separately makes it way more comfortable. The beds (oh and showers) are my favorite, they are really wonderful! …no wonder they are called heavenly beds and showers.

Lastly, the service is excellent. Management and staff are always making sure I have a great stay. Reservation agents always try to accommodate me to what I am requesting. Front desk, concierge, housekeeping always greet me when they see me.

I hope this provides an idea why I am rating this hotel very high and why I always choose to stay here…Enjoy it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I flew into Miami on the red-eye from another business stop and showed up blearily exhausted at the front desk at 7:00am. I was concerned that I wouldn't get a room this early because I'd tried to call ahead for early check-in and was sort of rudely dismissed. So I went in with low expectations, but much to my surprise the front desk manager could not have been kinder and ended up giving me a free upgrade to a wonderfully huge room just so I would have a place to lay my head for the 4 hours I had before my next meeting. Danubio was unbelievably kind and helpful, as were most of the other staff I encountered during my stay. Only one staff member sorely disappointed me, and she turned out to be the same woman I spoke to over the phone. The hotel entry is beautiful--a lovely wedding was going on while we were there and we didn't hear a peep from the celebratory crowd. They were able to have their great time and our little party of business travelers were able to sleep. I appreciated that on behalf of all of the hotel guests! I also appreciated the 24 hour room service--though I did wish for more options.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel and a good value (I paid about $120 per night). The room was huge and the bed was comfortable. Their room service and internet prices are high. The staff was nice but not overly friendly. The location was great and many restaurants are within walking distance. I would recommend this hotel though there was nothing overly special about it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
university town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have stayed twice in this hotel. First on Memorial Day Weekend 2010 when returning from a wedding in Key West. We ate out locally and made use of the open air pool and sun deck. Chosen for proximity to the airport and because it is part of the starwood hotel group so we were able to get discounted room based on loyalty points. Returned there on this spring visit to meet up with sister in law, when travelling alone. I felt confident staying there by myself, walking to local restaurant and nearby starbucks for breakfast and using the pool again. Staff very pleasant and helpful. I got a discounted room with accumulated loyalty points again. Not good if one wants the beach and buzz of South Beach but good and comfortable rooms otherwise.

Room Tip: Rooms generally quiet and well airconditioned. I have eaten in local restaurants across the street n...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thanks so much for your kind words about your recent stay at the Westin Coral Gables. If ican be of any assistance when your travels bring you back to the area please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to insure your stays continue to be refreshing. Be Well
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband had a business meeting so we decided to make a family weekend getaway here in coral gables. The entire staff in this hotel was amazing. From the parking valet guys to the concierge guys, the maids who take care of the rooms, Everyone was so genuinely nice and really seemed like they enjoy their job there at that hotel. The room was neat with the spiral staircase and very clean. Convenient location, the back entrance is right on miracle mile, which has some good restaurants. Would definitely recommend it. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in in any hotel ! The only complaint I do have was for all the money you pay for this room there is no free wireless Internet!!!! come on!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Prior to staying at the Westin Coral Gables, I read some of the reviews on this site and was somewhat concerned based on what they said. However, I had a very nice stay. The hotel lobby area is part of a shared building space with a bank. The common areas on the lower level are quite impressive to look at and walk through. The front desk staff was very friendly and eager to help. Our luggage was brought up quickly by the valet staff and delivered by the concierge. They were more than helpful to offer suggestions to questions we asked. The valet parking was always fast and timely, but is expensive in my mind at $22 per night; however, in this area, it's probably competitive. I'm sure you could try the street parking, but I'm not sure the inconvenience of that would be worth any money you might save. The room we were in was well equipped. I can see where some reviews have mentioned that the hotel could use a bit of renovation. There is some room for improvement, but everything was clean and in order. Perhaps one complaint might be the seeming quarter mile we had to walk from the elevator to our room. Instead of the elevator being in the middle with rooms to either direction, the elevator is at one end and rooms continue down one very long hallway. We were quite far from the elevator, but, I suppose, you can always use the exercise! The pool area is really nice and we enjoyed it a few times during our short stay. Overall, the staff was quite efficient and friendly. They make up for any lack of upgrade in the look of the individual rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
WestinCoralGables, General Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review of your stay here at the Westin on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear Concierge was accomodating to your needs. I do apologize that parking is a little steep at $22 a night, unfortunately we do not own the garage so we are at a slight disadvantage there, I will tell you the rates are competive with the 2 other full service hotels in the Gables. Also to let you know our swimming pool is getting all new furnishinhs this week and we are opening 'Above the Mile" at the pool with Cocktails, Food and Entertainment Thursday to Saturday beginning in the fall....please come back and check us out. Thanks again for your comments and Be Well.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I usually go for the less expensive, thin wall, uncomfortable bed places, just to save a few bucks. I'm hooked on the Westin chain now, with the beds more comfortable than my own at home, and the well appointed rooms. It was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thanks so much for the kind words on your recent stay at the Westin Coral Gables Gandyderson..we hope to see you back with us again soon! If you have not already singed up to be an SPG guest I would suggest you do as our program offers many nice benefits. Be Well
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
#6 of 11 in Coral Gables
3.5 of 5 stars 354 reviews
Coconut Grove
Hampton Inn Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!