“Great Hotel in Coral Gables” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

You added Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 South Dixie Highway (US 1), Coral Gables, FL 33146   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Boston
“Great Hotel in Coral Gables”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I needed a hotel in the Miami area for two days in December. I was looking for an inexpensive place with free parking. Now, having attended the University of Miami… I knew the area and some of the hotels in Miami. And I think the Holiday Inn-Coral Gables fits the bill. I also used to get my haircut at the hotel as an undergrad… a great barbershop inside… called “Hot Heads.”

I booked the hotel online using a hotel coupon book rate via holidayinn.com. It was one of the few hotels that allowed an advanced reservation with that excellent rate.

Check-in was a breeze. The front desk staff even remarked at how good that rate was! I also signed off on my hotel registration using a credit card-like signature pad! How cool! My room request was also granted… I wanted a renovated room with a balcony.

The lobby was recently redone and looked refreshed. It had cold water and coffee throughout the day. Also in the lobby were flyers for local attractions, computers with internet access, and free newspapers. The hallways were well air-conditioned as well.

My room was very nice and clean. It looked very modern with great pictures of old Coral Gables inside. Within 10 minutes, I also got a call front the front desk… making sure everything was to my liking. That was a small thing… but added a touch of class to the operations! Well done! The bed was comfortable. AC was a wall unit that could be manipulated to your liking. Rooms also had a refrigerator and safe.

The bathroom was also neat and clean. The only issue? It was very tight quarters. You could hardly dry off after a shower without hitting the door, toilet, or sink. I will also say the towels were not super soft… just average. But I think that’s a Holiday Inn issue… not this specific property. Also the lighting inside was very dark.

The balcony overlooked the nice, tropical courtyard. But if you had a second or third floor balcony room, there was no furniture to sit on. What’s with that? You had to stand or bring room chairs outside to enjoy it.

One other minor thing… there were nice HDTVs in the room… but no HD signal for them. So you had HD capable TVs broadcasting stretched, analog signals. It’s a small thing but an easy fix for the hotel.

I did not eat at the hotel so I can’t comment on that.

But overall, it was an excellent stay at an excellent value in the Coral Gables area.

Room Tip: Request a balcony overlooking the courtyard!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel was amazing! Very accomodating staff! From the front desk, May, Billy, Jenny, Angel, Edgar, Sandy, Gabriel, Claudia, just the loveliest people ever! They made my transition into the hotel really smooth. They smile at you and greet you everytime you leave and return to the hotel. The room was also very well kept when I first got there. Houesekeeping also came everyday and maintained the room very well, and they were also the nicest people on earth! Margarita Caso , the best housekeeper you will ever meet! Extremely kind, caring and has a warmth to her that you cannot miss! I learned most of my Spanish from her! Simply the best! Also Mari, Gladys, another Margarita, Basilia, I can still remember all their names because they are very warm and always smile and make you feel at home. They attend to all of your needs right away! The restaurant was also amazing, the people in there gave the best food recommendations, Yomery, Yolanda, and Eric, thank you guys for putting up with so many of my room service calls! And also to the 2 am front desk staff, for endlessly setting up wake up calls for me. Thank you so very much! I wish you all the very best

Room Tip: Live on the third floor and you'll get the best housekeeper!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Unkept. There seems to be a lot of staff here but no one is taking care of the details. The carpets throughout the hallways to get to your room, ugh.. So gross! Stains, smells and looks like it's been vacuumed MAYBE once a year. Elevators stink something terrible and look like they've never been swept or wiped down. Room smelled musty until the AC was blasting away for a long time, I think the culprit was the curtains.. maybe the carpet too, not sure.

I had some work to get done while and spent quite a few hours at the desk but the configuration is just awkward- the chair is huge but doesn't slide under the desk so you're sitting at a weird position and you can't roll the chair back more than a foot because it'll bump into the bed. Way too cramped! Not sure why they put it this way. Internet is free and seemed pretty speedy.

It's true as other reviews have said you can hear everything, everyone leaving in the morning yelling back at their kids down the hall, maids bumping around their carts and dumping garbage bins and talking to each other and whoever you have the pleasure of sharing your walls with. Every. Thing.

Being said, bed was incredibly comfortable. We had a balcony overlooking a pretty public park. Though there was no table or chairs on the balcony, I suppose you could drag a chair over to it if you were so inclined.

Starbucks, bagel place and CVS within walking distance.

Meh. If you need to be close to UM this is a winner as long as you don't mind smelly common areas and blasting the ac to keep the air smelling fresh.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Claudia_Polidori, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Our main goal is your 100% satisfaction and we are very sorry you found the experience with us less than satisfactory. Perhaps if you contact me here at the hotel, we can find a way to rectify it.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Its really nice Hotel, the room was very confortable for our family
The personal is very friendly and the room was big enough and clean for our family
The location was pretty good near to comercial stores and restaurants
There were 2 problems
1- the hallway to get our room was very very long, but for the confortable room we had we had no argue about it
2- we have problems at night with the persons in the room by our side, they were drinking and smoking (weird stuff) around 4am so they were screaming and laughing very loud that I had to call security

Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your vacations. We appreciate your positive comments and thank you for sharing them with other Trip Advisor users. Glad to hear you enjoyed the room and our location. We work hard to enhance guests’ experiences and are pleased that you enjoyed so many. My apologiesabout the long halways and the guests next to you, next time dont hesitate to let our 24 hours guest services on site know, to assist you with any inconvenience. Thank you again for writing about your stay.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Good breakfast, nicest people ever, clean bed, clean bathroom and nice room. Good place if you want to rest before and after go to university of Miami. University of Miami is in the other side of the street.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel and staff. . I will definitely pass along your comments to the staff and hotel leadership team. I'm delighted you were so pleased with your stay and we hope to have you back again and again.

Providence
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is not a good hotel, not worthy of the HI brand.

Good points:
The staff try hard and stay friendly, despite being overworked (I mean the place is understaffed).
The location is the best for U of Miami.

Bad points:

There were two independent screw ups with my bill; desk staff were nice about it, but they were bad, not really excusable mistakes.

The hallways are really dirty. I have never complained about the cleanliness of a hotel (you can look at my many reviews!), but this was really unpleasant. Elevators had chipping paint, bathrooms crumbling plaster.

The breakfast is pretty grim. The bread is basically Wonderbread. The 'juice' is basically Hawaiian punch. And to top it off, they will add a 15% "gratuity" (hey, team, it's not a gratuity if you force me to pay it) to your bill, no matter how many in your party, no matter whether you order the buffet or from the menu. Look, I would tip that much, but it's supposed to be up to me.

Again, the people who work there try hard and are likable, which is why I'm giving the place a two instead of a one. But the condition and management are bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Crito0,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the overall issues you had during your stay. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

very quick and friendly jenny,claudia , sandy.Great service the rooms were very clean.
Good bar service. Location is very central, starbucks and shopping areas just minutes away. They also have a very nice club down the street called BTS.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!