“Awesome experience at Holiday Inn - Coral Gables” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

You added Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 South Dixie Highway (US 1), Coral Gables, FL 33146   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Charlotte
“Awesome experience at Holiday Inn - Coral Gables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were in Miami for thanksgiving break, and decided to stay at Holiday Inn Coral Gables. We enjoyed staying at the hotel - we we're impressed with the hospitality. We were so impressed by housekeeping staff member Margarita Caso, she left the room spotless and was kind enough to accommodate our various requests. She also greeted with a smile each morning and was kind enough to provide recommendations for nearby attractions. We had a five star experience at a a great deal - we'll be back again!

Room Tip: Use Priceline negotiator
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Yonne M, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Ahlam Y,

Thank you so much for your kind comments on our staff's service and on Margarita Caso in particular. She was elated to hear that she was able to make your experience at our hotel memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future!

Many Thanks,

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After flying on the red-eye with Spirit Air and arriving in Miami at 5:15 am with maybe one hour of sleep the whole night, we went to several appointments at the University of Miami with our son.
We tried checking in early but could not. I went back around 2 pm, and they let me check in while my wife and son continued with the college tour. They put me in room 360, near the elevators and right next to the storage room. I laid down for a nap and about every 15- 20 minutes or so was awakened by a loud banging on the wall shared with the storage room. It was the same every time-bang bang bang, then slam. After an hour and a half of this, I heard voices in the hall speaking spanish so I opened the door to see a cleaning lady. I walked over to the door at the storage room, looked at her and she asked and motioned if I was looking for the stairs. I said no, just trying to find out what the loud noise was. She apologized and I said thanks, and went back to bed. 10 minutes later, banging noise again.
I went down to the front desk to complain since hitting the front desk button on the phone didn't seem to work. They guy at the desk apologized, didn't know what the noise was, but then said those walls are pretty thick so I shouldn't be hearing anything. Excuse me? I told him I was up all night, tired as hell, and was not making up a noise that kept waking me up. He said the room cleaners were done at 4:30 so I shouldn't hear anything after that, and they didn't start until 8 the next morning. He said if they had to , they would move me. Since it was after 4, I said I'd stick it out.
I went back upstairs a little ticked and went into the storage room to investigate myself since he didn't seem too concerned. I found 2 small oven door sized doors on a build out from my room wall. One for dirty laundry, one for garbage. I tilted them open and found chutes going down to the basement. The doors closed hard. That was my noise, the laundry or garbage going bang bang bang down the loose chute, and slam when they closed the door.

My question is this: why would they put anyone next to the storage room during the day when there are room cleaners still working and using that room and yakking in the hall outside that room? Sure, they didn't know I was up all night and trying to sleep, but why not keep guests away from any potential noise if you can? Am I the first to complain about that room noise during the day?? I doubt it.

On the up side, the room was clean as was the hotel. The rate was under $100 for the night. The beds were comfy for the 3 of us.

I would probably have given a 4 for location to college, cleanliness and bed comfort if not for the room they put me in and lack of concern about the noise.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 360 or any one next to or near storage rooms or elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Yonne M, Brand Champion at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear frozentundraguy ,

First off, let me apologize on our behalf that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and thank you for your detailed review. To answer your question on why you were given rm 360 all I can imagine is that it may have been the only room available for early check in, but with the details you mentioned its understanble that you could not get much sleep done in your room and we are truly sorry for that inconvinience you expirienced.
I would like to ease that bad expirience you had by inviting you back and giving you the right room on your next stay should you choose to visit Miami in the future.

Best wishes to you and your wife and thank you once again for staying with us.

Kindly,

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for four nights. Our experience had pros and cons. The pros,desk and restaurant staff was friendly, especially Lourdes in the restaurant. The beds were comfortable although my spouse complained they were too soft. In spite of the traffic noises outside, inside it was quiet, especially with the white noise of the AC. Other guests were considerate. There was much talking and partying one night on our floor, but it ended early and we were able to sleep without being disturbed. The night of the party however, someone set off the fire alarm twice around 9 pm. Luckily it was taken care of quickly both times. The cons, Check in time was listed at 3 pm. When I tried to check in then I was told rooms were not yet ready. So I sat in the lobby and watched two other guests check in. Apparently they had forgotten I was sitting there waiting.
Our room had a distinct, heavy odor upon check in. The drawers to the dresser appeared to have been left open by housekeeping and the odor appeared to come from them. I had to wonder if a previous guest had stored wet swim suits in the drawers. It had taken me so long to check in I didn't complain or ask for a new room, But we didn't use the drawers at all during our entire stay. A scented candle and opening the sliders to the balcony when we were in the room helped dissipate the scent. Breakfast from the menu was fine. I personally don't think the buffet is a good deal unless you have a breakfast voucher or are in a hurry. Meals prepared from the menu were fresh and hot. The hotel, on busy route one, was in a good area for our needs. I appreciated that I could leave my car in the (free) parking lot and take the Metro Rail to Vizcaya and to downtown Miami and even to the beaches with a transfer to a bus. Housekeeping was erratic. The first day they didn't come until 4:30 pm. The next day they knocked on the door at 8:45 am. Bed was made and towels were replaced but that seemed to be about all they did. Would I stay there again? Probably not. I have to say however, that the discounted rate I got on Priceline was good for Miami for the time of year.

Room Tip: Pick one that doesn't smell.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ange2,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review on our hotel. We appreciate your comments and will look into repairing the cons you mentioned you expirienced on your stay with us. Its upsetting you would not consider us for your next stay and we would like to change your opinion by inviting you back and giving you the great service and expirience that our hotel offers.

Winter Haven, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had someone call about a sewage pipe breaking and they had to relocate their guest for the night of my stay. I agreed to relocate and was very concerned for the hotel. After speaking to several of my friends that are staying there the same evening, they didn't get a call to change rooms. So now I am at a different hotel... AWAY from my friends/teammates. And I am paying MORE per night for the different hotel??? I feel duped!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear NAD1010

Unfortunately we have been repairing many issues undergoing in our hotel due to plumbing and we did not want to accomodate any guests in any room that was not suitable by our standards. We are sorry to hear that you paid significantly more at another hotel, but we did not want to risk having you feel uncomfortable in your room and took necessary measures to avoid any inconvniences you would have expirinced if you stayed.

Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I would like to thank the very pleasant hotel staff for the nice stay that we recently had at your Hotel in Coral Gables. We were on the first level (room 123) and could walk directly out to the pool. Our room was always kept very clean by housekeeping and the front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful . I would choose your Hotel anyday over the so called "resort" we stayed in when we initially came to Miami. We were able to get to downtown Miami ( So. Beach) within 30 minutes , Key Largo within 1.25 hrs and Ft Lauderdale within 40 minutes. Your Hotel was clean, comfortable and affordable. Thank you once again :)

Room Tip: I liked staying on the first level and being able to walk directly out to the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Yonne M, Brand Champion at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear ctheworld1975,

We thank you for your kind words on our staff and contribution of the lovely picture you took of our courtyard! We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Holiday Inn Coral Gables
White Plains, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

good location, nice bit outdated rooms , May at the front desk was really nice and charming. did not use restaurant , pool was nice. only problem was the air freshener, i almost fainted when i walked into the room, windows did not open, so i had to use my own cologne to kill the smell, it looked like the housekeeping staff was trying to hide some type of smell,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Yonne M, Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear latin2014,

We thank you for staying at our hotel. May is very happy that she was able to make you feel welcomed and comfortable and we apologize if your room stay was not as convinient. We look forward to providing you with a more pleasurable expirience on your next visit to our hotel.

San Fernando, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Excelent service,great staff,housekeeper Magarita Caso is a great employee,very helpful 100% ready to assist your every need.,All the employees are great..Room was good and comfy.we enjoyed our stay very much we felt at home away from home the pool area was great.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony is great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kathy-ann R,

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and taking the time to write such a kind review on our staff! I spoke with Margarita who feels proud of her service and she is happy that you had such lovely words to say about her. If you are ever back in the area, we hope you consider our hotel as we look forward to seeing you again.

Brand Champion

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!