“I loved every minute of it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 South Dixie Highway (US 1), Coral Gables, FL 33146   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Miami
“I loved every minute of it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you're the usual Miami tourist looking to hit the beaches, this might not be the best location for you. But if you need to stay in this specific area (Coral Gables, University of Miami, etc.), it's a great value for your money. I booked early and got an advanced rate. Let let me tell you, I have paid a lot more for a lot less in Miami. The staff were all incredibly friendly. The room was clean, with a large King bed, even a balcony overlooking a nice view of the pool. Check-in was a breeze, and check-out could literally not have been easier. At check-in, they even offered a complimentary (and delicious) mojito at the bar later. And while I was embarrassed I did not stay to order another drink (just took my freebie and left), the bartender was extremely nice. But again, EVERYBODY was nice. I have to book an affordable hotel once a month in this area, and this will definitely be my hotel from now on. It was simply a relaxing, refreshing experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The accomodations have been comfortable,room clean,staff accomodating and friendly.My contact Adrianna Simon has always gone above he call of duty to see that all my needs and requirements were met. Recent stay carpeting had been replaced in halls,walls in good repair and for an older property this is always a challenge that i feel that they are intent on conquering .The restaurant and bar staff are always pleasant and accomodating.

Room Tip: Take the ground floor if you can get it.Access and ease of the pool is good and your private patio a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Windsor, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We booked our one-night stay at this HI well over two months ago. Because of a stolen debit card and subsequent switch-over, the debit card we paid for the reservation with has since been destroyed and is unusable. The hotel waited a while to charge the card (indeed, waited long enough so that the old card had already become invalid), so the payment did not go through. Instead of notifying us in any form, the hotel simply canceled our reservation. They didn't tell us they canceled it until we checked in the day of our reservation. Because of this, we had to stay in a hotel with two queens instead of one king -- sure, this isn't a HUGE deal, but when you reserve 2+ months out, you expect to get what your reservation has confirmed. I asked the working front desk manager why we were never notified. He claimed the hotel -- which is apparently independently owned and operated -- does not notify customers when their payments don't go through and they have to cancel the reservation. This is pretty idiotic, in my opinion. There was another couple to whom a similar situation had happened...they were being forced to move to another Holiday Inn across town because the rest of the hotel was booked.

If that wasn't enough...my boyfriend and I had a Marlins game to get to not long after we checked in. We planned to print the tickets at the hotel. When we went into the business center to print, the computer was horribly slow and the printer was out of ink. I told the front desk attendant the printer was out of ink. She said, "Hold on one moment." In the meantime, a group of 8-10 guests came in the door and lined up to check in. Without saying a single word to me about my issue (I'll remind you that I was standing in line first, when a line had yet to form!), she went on to help every other person in the line. When I realized I wasn't going to be helped, I went to the back of the line. 30 minutes later, when they were all checked in, I got back up to the front and said, "I really need that ink." She just sort of stared at me, as if she was thinking, "What could you possibly need ink for?" I said, "Look, I'm a pretty smart person. If you give me the ink cartridge, I can probably figure out how to put it in myself." She just smirked a little. I said, "I'm serious. We've got to leave soon. We need ink to print the tickets." She finally asked her manager about the ink. Instead of fixing the ink situation, he suggested we email him the link to the tickets and he print them. This worked out just fine.

Fast forward to 11 p.m. We had gotten back from the game and settled in. I called the front desk to ask about extended checkout (priority club). In just about the rudest voice I've ever heard, the woman snapped, "We are COMPLETELY BOOKED. We can't do late checkouts!" She then hung up before I could say anything else. Um... I understand the statement, but certainly not the sentiment. Oh well. Went to sleep. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. The bathroom was dirty and small. The window curtains were dingy and stained. The room was spacious, though. That was a small redeeming factor.

The next morning, upon checkout, I went to print another set of tickets (we decided the night before we'd go to the Marlins game the next day, too)...and they still hadn't changed the ink. The two gentlemen at the front desk quickly offered one of their desktops for us to use to print. There was no fuss or hassle. They figured out the situation a lot more quickly and easily than the pair from the previous night had, which was helpful (and hopeful, for the hotel's sake). I just couldn't believe they hadn't fixed the issue. It's a printer in your business center. It should be working, folks. You shouldn't have to make a surprise run to Staples to get more ink. It's called good management. Leads me to think perhaps it's nonexistent at this veritable gem of a hotel.

I will very likely not be staying at this hotel again. There are plenty of IHG brand options in the area -- no sense staying in an overpriced one with subpar cleanliness and inconsistent staff aptitude and friendliness.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear ChristineLT,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Melbourne Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This Holiday Inn has become a second home to me. Not only do I stay there two to three nights each month, I hold two large workshops at the University of Miami and the attendees stay at this great facility. Everyone from the sales department to the front desk to the housekeeping department to the bar and restaurant crews are extremely accommodating and friendly.

I recommend this to EVERYONE!

Room Tip: If you are carrying a lot of luggage, request a room on the first floor near the parking lot entranc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
La Porte, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Nice Hotel, Staff was nice and very helpful. Room was big with a king size bed and a balcony to go with the room. One of the best places where I have spent the night. In this case two nights. Would definately stay there again and recommend this hotel to everyone. Also it is close to downtown restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The great thing about this hotel is that it's really cheap compared to other similar hotels in the neighbourhood while the rooms and hotel in general are still OK. In exchange for the great rates, you have to live with a slightly dated look and equipment. Not for a romantic stay, but perfectly OK for a business traveler like myself.
I stayed here (one night) because I needed to be close to the University of Miami. The rooms are not ultra-modern but looked refurbished and mine was very clean. Also, to my relief, very quiet (the vast majority of the rooms seems far away from the highway in front of the hotel). Friendly staff. Really large pool. Mediocre breakfast, but nothing to complain about really. There was a power outage around 6 a.m. the day I stayed there (end of May 2012). Took them half a day to get the air-conditioning working again in the public ares (in the rooms it was functioning again after an hour or so), meaning unbearable temperatures in the breakfast room and lobby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I can say We had a fairly descent stay, It feels like the area isn't that safe, The Hotel itself serves its function perhaps for one night. I am a big fan of Holiday inn but I might not stay at this one again. It looks clean and somehow confortable but it is extremely old. Rooms come with flat TV, WIFI and refrigerator. Our room has a balcony but it looks very unsafe since any of your neighbors can simply walk into your room. That was the worse part of it. Our door to the balcony was broken so it never locked. It gives you that feeling anyone can simply walk in. The bathroom was really small, the carpet looks older, service great and athmosphere overall is fair. Parking is located on an open lot very unsafe as well. You get what you pay for so no complains on that level. I rather spend $20 more and stay in another 3 star hotel in a safer area. Location is across the University with access to the metro. about 20 minutes from Downtown, 10 minutes from Calle 8 and about 30 minutes from North Miami.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Dear hotel_aficionado2011,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased that you found our hotel clean and that you appreciate the service we delivered during your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Coral Gables you will give our hotel another try.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!