“Fine apart from Mosquitos” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

You added Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 South Dixie Highway (US 1), Coral Gables, FL 33146   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
London, United Kingdom
“Fine apart from Mosquitos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

After being in orlando for 12 days i needed to stay in miami for one night prior to catching a flight to the uk. I'd managed to survive the entire trip without any bites but got my quota in one night at this hotel. Thought the room looked immaculate. Unfortunately saw mosquitoes flying around and have several big bites as a result. Not good

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Marlboro, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This hotel is a huge disappointment! I am currently a guest at this hotel and feel the rating of "3" is misleading and inaccurate. The carpeting in the room is old, worn, & filthy. The bathroom is tiny, out dated, filthy and smells of mold. We left our room at 8 a.m. and returned at 4 p.m., to find that our room had not been cleaned by housekeeping and had no fresh towels. I had to contact the front desk multiple times, to intervene. It wasn't until I chased down a housekeeper in the hallway, that we were able to get clean towels. I was at my wits end when my 2 children identified several bugs flying in their bed and in the carpeting.

This hotel is definitely not a "3"!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear jozib1,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
IHGCare
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Very convenient. Attractive lobby and rooms. There was a piece of trash on the floor when we entered. Parking easy. Attentive staff. Good internet. Beds were comfortable. Easy to get everywhere nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Me and my mother came to this hotel to visit the University of Miami, and it was PERFECT! The room was large and beautiful with a nice and clean bathroom, a kitchenette, big TV, nice closet, safe, desk, and chair. We had a king bed (very comfortable, no complaints), on the first floor. Our room opened up to the pool and we highly recommend this because it was nice opening our door and having the beautiful miami air come in. The pool was nice and warm, high 80's.

If you are a student or family looking for a place to stay for UMiami, COME HERE! Right across the street from the university, close to hot spots. 20 minutes to south beach, 15 minutes to Coconut Grove. You also get the University price, which is a nice discount, if you print out your tour reservation to prove you're visiting.

We also ate at the holiday inn restaurant, and didn't expect much, but it was AMAZING! The service was impeccable. The food was delicious and fresh. We had a caesar salad, rigatoni pomodoro, and chicken francaise, and it was the best meal we've had while we were here. We highly recommend that you eat here during your stay.

The management here is wonderful! Joel, the manager, cannot do enough to make your stay wonderful and perfect. He is very generous and very accommodating for any and all concerns that may arise.

The Guidos love the Holiday Inn Coral Gables!

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor that open up to the pool are wonderful!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Lobby is clean
Bathroom is poor: you shower on the floor, no ventilation, no vent, made a big difference in rating the hotel.
Internet is free, working, I am typing right now from my room with an iPod.

There is a good looking restaurant with a good looking bar, but It opens at 6 pm.

We Paid $ 182, which is way too much for this hotel especially with that bathroom.

Location is okay, south Miami near Coral Gables, but it's right on Dixie so there is heavy traffic.

I wouldn't pay over $ 100-110 for the place

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
MoItaly,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I was nervous about staying at this hotel after reading several of the extremely negative reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. Sure, it's not the Biltmore. But it is not priced like the Biltmore either.

The staff - specifically Jenny and Edgar - were very helpful. The rooms were clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable. We got a 1st floor room facing the pool (per the advice of other reviews) and that was DEFINITELY the way to go. I thought staying by a pool might be loud, but it was very quiet. Only negative is that you share a patio with another room. Not a bit deal to me, but maybe to some. The workout room was nice and facing the pool, which was great. Can't comment on the spa or food as we didn't partake in either. For a great breakfast, head over to Green Street Cafe in Coconut Grove - it's not far from the hotel.

My complaints are that the phones in the room weren't working - neither of them. Also, the complimentary coffee by the front desk was always empty. Hotel needs to either remove the coffee station, or have coffee in them.

The location is very good also. It's not on beautiful grounds like the Biltmore or other hotels in Miami, it's just off a highway. BUT, It is close to Calle Ocho, Coconut Grove, and the fun parts of Coral Gables. Plus, not a long trip to the airport. It could be a little cheaper but what couldn't in Miami. For the price, location, and quality, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are quieter. Get one facin the pool on the 1st or 2nd floor. Make sure...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The Holiday Inn Coral Gables is a decent hotel for business or pleasure. The hotel is a 3 story building with the swimming pool area in the center. There are nice palm trees around the pool area and a good number of tables, chairs, lounges. The restaurant/bar area is nice and opens onto a covered area next to the pool. Many of the rooms have balconies, as well as a small frig & microwave.

There were many college students at the hotel during my stay (spring break time). I did not hear any noise/voices through the walls, but did from the hallways ... it wasn't too bad though. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. Edgar checked me in and was very nice. I had also forgotten shaving cream, which the nice lady at the front desk happily provided to me (she even asked if I needed a razor).

I ate breakfast one morning in the hotel restaurant ... it was fine, but I thought a bit overpriced. The free internet in my room worked great. The TV was a bit old (the big box style rather than a flat screen), but worked fine and there were enough channels for me.

Overall, a decent stay at a decent price. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are likely to be more quiet ... other rooms face the parking lot and road. So...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about our hotel. We always take pride when a certain employee gets mentioned positively in our reviews. Edgar will be very happy to read your comments. Most of our rooms currently have the newer flat screen tv's, and as soon as the high season ends all rooms should have them. Please I invite you to come check us out again soon.

Otherwise I would like to thank you once again for your thoughts.

The Holiday Inn Coral Gables Team

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!