“Great location for University of Miami” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

You added Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 South Dixie Highway (US 1), Coral Gables, FL 33146   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Florida
“Great location for University of Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Very convenient. Attractive lobby and rooms. There was a piece of trash on the floor when we entered. Parking easy. Attentive staff. Good internet. Beds were comfortable. Easy to get everywhere nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Me and my mother came to this hotel to visit the University of Miami, and it was PERFECT! The room was large and beautiful with a nice and clean bathroom, a kitchenette, big TV, nice closet, safe, desk, and chair. We had a king bed (very comfortable, no complaints), on the first floor. Our room opened up to the pool and we highly recommend this because it was nice opening our door and having the beautiful miami air come in. The pool was nice and warm, high 80's.

If you are a student or family looking for a place to stay for UMiami, COME HERE! Right across the street from the university, close to hot spots. 20 minutes to south beach, 15 minutes to Coconut Grove. You also get the University price, which is a nice discount, if you print out your tour reservation to prove you're visiting.

We also ate at the holiday inn restaurant, and didn't expect much, but it was AMAZING! The service was impeccable. The food was delicious and fresh. We had a caesar salad, rigatoni pomodoro, and chicken francaise, and it was the best meal we've had while we were here. We highly recommend that you eat here during your stay.

The management here is wonderful! Joel, the manager, cannot do enough to make your stay wonderful and perfect. He is very generous and very accommodating for any and all concerns that may arise.

The Guidos love the Holiday Inn Coral Gables!

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor that open up to the pool are wonderful!
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

Lobby is clean
Bathroom is poor: you shower on the floor, no ventilation, no vent, made a big difference in rating the hotel.
Internet is free, working, I am typing right now from my room with an iPod.

There is a good looking restaurant with a good looking bar, but It opens at 6 pm.

We Paid $ 182, which is way too much for this hotel especially with that bathroom.

Location is okay, south Miami near Coral Gables, but it's right on Dixie so there is heavy traffic.

I wouldn't pay over $ 100-110 for the place

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
MoItaly,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I was nervous about staying at this hotel after reading several of the extremely negative reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. Sure, it's not the Biltmore. But it is not priced like the Biltmore either.

The staff - specifically Jenny and Edgar - were very helpful. The rooms were clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable. We got a 1st floor room facing the pool (per the advice of other reviews) and that was DEFINITELY the way to go. I thought staying by a pool might be loud, but it was very quiet. Only negative is that you share a patio with another room. Not a bit deal to me, but maybe to some. The workout room was nice and facing the pool, which was great. Can't comment on the spa or food as we didn't partake in either. For a great breakfast, head over to Green Street Cafe in Coconut Grove - it's not far from the hotel.

My complaints are that the phones in the room weren't working - neither of them. Also, the complimentary coffee by the front desk was always empty. Hotel needs to either remove the coffee station, or have coffee in them.

The location is very good also. It's not on beautiful grounds like the Biltmore or other hotels in Miami, it's just off a highway. BUT, It is close to Calle Ocho, Coconut Grove, and the fun parts of Coral Gables. Plus, not a long trip to the airport. It could be a little cheaper but what couldn't in Miami. For the price, location, and quality, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are quieter. Get one facin the pool on the 1st or 2nd floor. Make sure...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The Holiday Inn Coral Gables is a decent hotel for business or pleasure. The hotel is a 3 story building with the swimming pool area in the center. There are nice palm trees around the pool area and a good number of tables, chairs, lounges. The restaurant/bar area is nice and opens onto a covered area next to the pool. Many of the rooms have balconies, as well as a small frig & microwave.

There were many college students at the hotel during my stay (spring break time). I did not hear any noise/voices through the walls, but did from the hallways ... it wasn't too bad though. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. Edgar checked me in and was very nice. I had also forgotten shaving cream, which the nice lady at the front desk happily provided to me (she even asked if I needed a razor).

I ate breakfast one morning in the hotel restaurant ... it was fine, but I thought a bit overpriced. The free internet in my room worked great. The TV was a bit old (the big box style rather than a flat screen), but worked fine and there were enough channels for me.

Overall, a decent stay at a decent price. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are likely to be more quiet ... other rooms face the parking lot and road. So...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about our hotel. We always take pride when a certain employee gets mentioned positively in our reviews. Edgar will be very happy to read your comments. Most of our rooms currently have the newer flat screen tv's, and as soon as the high season ends all rooms should have them. Please I invite you to come check us out again soon.

Otherwise I would like to thank you once again for your thoughts.

The Holiday Inn Coral Gables Team
St. Simons Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We bid on a 3 star hotel on Priceline in the Coconut Grove/Coral Gables area ($100), and I must say that I was a little concerned when this hotel popped up. However, we were pleasantly surprised. We requested an updated room, on the 1st floor, by the pool - we were very happy when one was available and were even allowed to check in early - 12pm. Our room had a sliding glass door to a little patio that led out to the beautiful pool area - an oasis reminiscent of Old Miami! Room had wonderful beds/linens, nice furniture, new carpet and curtains, a mini refrig and microwave, free wifi. Bath was not large, but fine. Employees were wonderful. On busy US 1 but you wouldn't know it once you get inside. Beautiful, safe area of Coral Gables - very convenient to the Gables, Grove, Dadeland, even downtown. Not a luxury hotel by any means, but very nice if you get into an updated room by the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room, on the 1st floor, by the pool. Updated rooms on the 2nd floor that look out...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, March 24, 2012
Hello! Thank you very much for you review. Im very glad you found our updated rooms to your liking. The pool side rooms on first are definitely a crowd favorite, but we also have many other rooms not facing the pool which are newly renovated. I encourage you to come check them out some day.

In any case I'd like to thank you once again for your review.

The Holiday Inn Coral Gables Team
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Plus: close to airport, university, cvs

This had to be the worst hotel ever that I have visited.
We stayed there march 17, 18
We chose this place because of its location, however for the price of $143 per night, it was the worst decision we made...we could have spent $45 per night at a local motel and had a better room and service..I did not leave immediately after check in because I had booked it on Expedia so it was pre paid and when we checked in we had a very long days and were too exhausted.
On the first night , I tried to take a shower...but apart from the bathroom door being rusted, and the tub as disfigured and had multiple stains, I could not get hot water. I took a one minute shower cause it was so cold, then called the front desk...I told them about the condition of the bathroom and the concierge said he was so surprised to hear that the bathroom was in disrepair. Really?.
They sent someone up promptly to assess the hot water issue, and while he was trying to assess the problem and I was talking to him, his phone rang...He took he personal call and continued a loud conversation for several minutes then walked out....no solution!!!!
The pillows were extremely uncomfortable, the room had very old dirty carpets, loud.
Again I say, the only reason we stayed is because of its location and it was prepaid, and we were there for 2 nights only...thank goodness.
On check out I mentioned my discontent and was thanked or my feedback.
I recommend book in advance or pay a few dollars more and go to the Marriott a few miles away, or pay less and go o the nearby inn...

Room Tip: To choose a good room ,choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear DenMoh,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience caused due to the conditions of your room. We can assure you that your comments about the lack of follow-up service from the team are being taken very seriously. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the Holiday Inn Hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in the Holiday Inn soon.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!