“better than your average Holiday Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1350 South Dixie Highway (US 1), Coral Gables, FL 33146   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
Vancouver, Canada
“better than your average Holiday Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This Holiday Inn is a step above your average. Good location, nice restaurant, and good bedding with a choice of pillows. Nice fitness facility although the machines were not all working. Lovely pool and gardens. Soundproofing leaves a bit to be desired but very comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with everyone in Tripadvisor. I am very glad you liked our beds as they were actually part of our rennovation project. It seems were making head-way. As far as the equipment is concerned, your review has been taken under consideration and we will have it fixed in no time.

Thank you once again, and we wish you some very Happy Holidays!

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

dirtiest and most poorly managed Holiday Inn I was ever at

incapable of providing a reliable internet connection, constantly dropped the connection

I do not doubt the hotel is profitable as there are few hotels in this price range in the area but it was like some frat house decor

stained carpets in the halls, dirty towels on wet floors near the ice machine, no drinking glasses or slippers in the rooms

broken down fitness room with non-working equipment

Room Tip: stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for your comments. Everything you mention in your review is actually being worked on even as I write this response. Every day we are making progress towards making this property one of the best in the Coral Gables area. If you dont believe me come check us out again in 2012!

Once again thank you for your comments, and we wish you some very Happy Holidays!

-The Holiday Inn Coral Gables Team
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Hotel was ok. The staff was friendly. But the rooms need to be upgraded (A/C units, old picture tube TV's)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Good afternoon, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on tripadvisor about our staff. It always makes us happy when we read about positive guest and employee interaction. We strive for it. As far as the old TV tube, that is a work in progress and should have brand new flat screens in all the rooms. I invite you to come back sometime in the future and enjoy new TV's and same friendly staff!

Season's greetings,

Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Unfortunately i got stuck with this hotel because i bid on a 3 star hotel on priceline and "won" this place. When I went online to read the reviews I tried to keep an open mind and experience for myself. They were pretty much on point. There was black mold on the ceiling of the restroom. There was black mold on the grout in the shower. The day before we checked out the maid threw away my retainer and my facial soap. When I called the next day at 9:36AM before checking out "George" answered the front desk. I told him about my retainer and he said housekeeping hadnt come in yet. I told him "really? thats weird I just saw them in the hallway" he answered "oh, they must have come in through the back way". Basically he lied to my face and didnt really care. Two more complaints about this place. The wifi is ridiculous. When you check in they give you the wifi code and number to call technical support?? I had to constantly input the wifi code because it would disconnect about every 5 minutes. When I finally got sick of it I called the front desk, the attendant told me I should probably turn off and turn back on my computer??? I told him I didnt have a problem with my computer, I have a problem with the wifi that keeps disconnecting. He told me to call technical support! Why should I have to call technical support its not my Hotel??? We ended up ordering a pay-per-view movie which was very expensive. Why because the resolution on the TV was a joke. You would have thought I was watching TV with rabbit ears on it instead of cable because the reception was sooo poor. The only positive thing I can say about this place is the night attendant. He was very helpful when I tried to print my boarding passes to come back home. The printer in the business center looked like the ink had exploded and he allowed me to login and print my passes from the front desk computer. The cheapskate owner of this hotel needs to pay a qualified contractor to come in and take care of all the issues that this place has because no way would I ever stay here again. I've stayed at other Holiday Inn's and this one takes the cake as being the worse. They shouldnt even be allowed to call themselves a Holiday Inn because they dont live up to the expectations.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Believe it or not I thank you for your review. Though it saddens me to read about your experience here, I am happy to announce that all those things you found wrong will be changed within the next year. Our property will be remodeled, and the whole facade of this hotel will be different. Please come give us another try within the new year, and I assure you will be wondering as to why we are not a 4 star hotel.

I wish you some very Happy Holidays!

Best,

Mason, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed there for a couple of nights. The restroom was dirty. We complained twice, nothing was done about it. The room was not very clean, the walls had dirt marks all over. I really was mad at Priceline for calling this place 3stars upscale hotel. Nothing upscale there!!!!!!!!! The lobby was probably nice twenty years ago. The only thing my son really enjoyed was the pool.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear guest, I want to first thank you for giving us the time to review our property. Your comments will not go in vain. We believe that by listening to guests we can improve our product to better serve them in the future. As such over the next few months the hotel will undergo some major rennovations. Please we invite you to come check us out again. You will leave wondering why Priceline hasnt given us a better rating!

Best regards,

Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I recently returned to Coral Gables after a 6 year hiatus. I needed a hotel close to the University to stay several times during the transition. I often was in and out in a 24 hour period - or needed special accomodations for a couple days at a time. The staff was great in addressing all of my needs and helping me make the hotel a home away from home during the transition. The front desk staff was great - especially Joel. The restaurant was also fantastic - great service from Yolonda and the food was amazing (not what you sometimes expect from a hotel restaurant). The rooms were nice with great views of the pool and courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a balcony facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Good morning Steve! I am very glad to read about your stay. Nothing makes us happier than a satisfied guest. We hope we can continue providing you this service sometime in the future. Please dont be a stranger and come by sooner than another six year hiatus. Especially since we will be rennovating, and will much to show you.

Thank you very much for your review!

Best

Joel
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

This was originally a large 3 story highway motel, that has been renovated several times & is now a Holiday Inn. If you are using points, or need a place for 1 night going to/from The Keys, or need to be near U of Miami, then it's not a bad choice. It was clean & serviceable & the front desk staff was helpful, courteous & friendly. If you know what to expect you won't be disappointed. About a 10 minute drive to downtown Coral Gables, & it sits right on top of Highway 1 & the metro-rail line. The lobby/bar/restaurant area is actually very inviting to sit for a drink, & the pool area is nicely landscaped & tended to. An older property that seems to be receiving good care.

Room Tip: Get an "interior room facing" the courtyard. Will be much more quiet, & away from Hwy...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HICoralGablesTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. Over the next few months we will be renovating our hotel to better serve you in the future. Please I invite you to comeback so you can appreciate the updated features to our lovely property.

Been to Holiday Inn Coral Gables - University? Share your experiences!