“Price-Gouging at Every Opportunity” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester, MN
“Price-Gouging at Every Opportunity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

First, I'll start with the positive. The Biltmore is a 5-star hotel for the beauty & history of it's building, pool, and grounds. The rooms are spacious, comfortable & quiet.

Now, the negative. The location in Coral Gables is very residential and isolated from any shopping/touring by foot. The closest shopping opportunity is Miracle Mile (about 2 mi. away) which has some nice restaurants and one nice bookstore, but no other shopping, even a drugstore, unless you are in the market for a wedding dress. If you are, you've hit the jackpot. Because of this isolation, the hotel overcharges at every turn. Bottle of sunscreen? $38. Appetizer of 3 shrimp by the pool? $18. There is no coffee in the room, so you have to purchase it as well. It would be easier to pay these costs if the food was worth it, but it's VERY standard fare and the service with it is not friendly nor prompt. The bathrooms also offer a standard shower/tub--ours drained slowly and the toilet needed 2 jiggles every time. The hotel room also has 2 TVs back-to-back, one facing the sitting area, one facing the bed. It is a nice idea in theory, but both TVs respond when you use the remote, so there's a lot of running back and forth to only have 1 TV on at a time.
The hotel really needs to improve its customer service and re-evaluate its pricing.

Room Tip: View of pool
Green Features: I did not notice any environmentally-friendly practices
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
waterford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

This is my third time staying at the hotel and that in itself should give you my view on the hotel.

In summary, I would highly recommend the hotel, whether for business or pleasure. The ambiance is very nice, pool area and cabanas great, food very nice, great service from all staff members, lovely grounds to walk, good wifi, Sunday buffet is amazing and I could go on. I would pick the Biltmore and Coral Gables every time ....

On my second stay I had a slight issue with a parcel that was delivered to my room. I made contact with the GM who resolved the issue and made me feel very good about the situation. This to me was so important. It is great when a hotel is exceeding your expectations, but the real sign of a great hotel is when there is a blip and the management come in strong and go beyond the line of duty. I left the hotel even more impressed than the previous occasions I stayed there.

Overall - excellent

Valley Stream, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we spent 4 days there from 3/15-3/19/15. We had a junior suite which we highly recommend which had a view of the pool and the golf course. we generally stay in 4-5 star hotels. This was equal to any hotel we have stayed in and better than most. the service staff was 5 star, nicest group of people we have evr had in a hotel from manager, to front desk, bell man, car jockeys, concierge, etc. The facility is beautiful, restaurants were for the most part excellent, golf course is terrific and pool area is outstanding

Room Tip: see above look at pool and golf course
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Northport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was our fifth stay at the Biltmore, and it was just as fantastic as the first time!! The staff are extremely professional and make it a point to remember our names. They welcome us back each time time and make us feel like we have come home. The staff could not be any more accommodating. the waiters and waitresses at breakfast are outstanding. The pool staff go above and beyond! This property is truly spectacular!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My first visit to the Biltmore Coral Gables -- 0h my goodness there was a lot of people when I arrived on a Sunday. It wasn’t until after I checked-in I realized this was a membership based property so every space is shared with both traveling visitors and the local residence. And staying during a peak time like March and through Easter can be ultimately busy. This is not a terrible thing, but is good to know if are expecting to have a place a bit more exclusive and less active.

Ideally located within an easy 20 minute drive from the airport inside a lovely community of Coral Gables is this historic landmark where movies were filmed, and dignitaries and celebrities have stayed. And after one of the bellman was generous enough to give us an unexpected personal tour of the historic 13th floor Everglades Suite I learned of some interesting notorious characters have roamed these halls as well.

My Jr. Suite was spacious, airy and filled with great natural lighting from the large windows that gave way to an awesome view of the golf course. I loved the extra tall ceilings and the hotel’s version of creature comforts, meaning I was not to hung-up on not having a built-in media charging station or a contemporary designed bathroom. I recognized what it is for what it is (registered historic has its limitations). If you know what
I mean you’ll understand and may like this place too!

It was fun getting to know the drivers when I used the hotel’s town car service. I found it very convenient, taking me anywhere within a 2 mile radius from the hotel. Even though it was first come first served with a waiting time of up to 10 minutes I felt the value of the trade-off was well worth it. I really can’t say enough about the great location! As a result of my stay – the Biltmore is a landmark and I left pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Jr. Suite rooms are better to start with. Upgrade to the golf suite - it's worth the extra.
Green Features: It doesn't actually follow its own policy -- towels are replaced daily.
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

From the minute you walk in until the minute you walk out...i felt special.
With my husband in hand and my bikini we walked around in aw of the architectual surrounding. The Pool was Huge!! the service was excellent and the staff was there to make everyone love their stay. I was luck to stay for 2 nights ...wish it was longer but i had to work on that Monday... I soaked up the experience like no other.
I decided to go to the salon to get pampered..why not right..Loved it and i fell asleep...but i guess its normal.
We rented a cabana...it was private , clean and chic..very Miami very chic and service was top. the Pool was never ending and you could tell that every corner was taken care of.
If i have to say something....maybe the rooms need a little upgrade...just a little facelift. but the bathrooms were great and clean...to me cleanliness is the most important and it was clean.
The price is what you would expect..but the quality is there..and you have to pay for quality here.. it is what it is!! This is Coral Gables..High Class Coral Gables !!

Too bad i don't play golf...or else i would of been in heaven....but my husband and i were happy to kick up our feet at the pool are the whole time....we loved it!!!

Will be booking soon!!!

Room Tip: ask for balcony
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

While this is an historic and beautiful property, no one cares about you. Three issues appeared during our stay and no one cared. While they use the luxury language such as beautiful, lovely, wonderful, my pleasure, our pleasure, terrific and so forth, no one really cares. I suspect this is because they really have no competition. They are located in an extremely wealthy neighborhood not near the beach. So, therefore, the guests may be there for business conferences or golf. If they had to compete with the beach, they would never make it. Issue #1 we had no toilet. The toilet simply would not flush. We reported this at 7pm before heading to dinner. After we returned at 10pm the issue was not addressed. We then called the front desk and, it took two additional calls and it was over one hour before the engineer showed up. He declared that the issue was resolved, however, overnight and the next morning the same exact thing happened. We ended up going 10 floors down to the lobby overnight and the next morning to use the bathroom. We called the next morning and after two engineers interrupted our morning sleep at 6:30am because we had no toilet, it was determined that it had to be replaced. At no time was a room-move offered. We literally were in the room unable to shower etc,, while they replaced our toilet. At no time was a room-moved offered. I went down to speak with the Manager on duty and got the assistant. She was lovely in her language and offered us a bottle of wine for not having a bathroom all night and all day. My wife was so insulted that she literally took the tray, ice bucket and wine back to the desk. We felt that we should have been offered at least a comp for the one night. Nothing else was offered and no apology. Other issues included quite simply that I requested extra pillows and while they brought them, they took them away every night at turn down. Strange. And then we had the message light flashing on our phone and when we tried to retrieve it , the system asked for a password. We attempted this several times and the front desk insisted that there was no password required. Strange. Worst Hotel in the World in the one of the most beautiful places in the world!!!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Been to The Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!