“Perfect wedding place - Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Florida Resident Offer
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersGold level
Marie49125
“Perfect wedding place - Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

My husband and 5 month old baby had our religious wedding at the Biltmore on february 22 and had some family and friends staying there for a couple of nights. We spent the night of the wedding in one of the "honey moon suites" which was complimentary.

We knew this hotel before we chose it for our wedding, we had spent some time at the pool and had the brunch many times, but never actually stayed at the place before.

My parents had a lovely bedroom overlooking the pool, it was a "junior suite" (a bit misleading because the room are small) which had was separated in two area : living room and bedroom. Bathroom was georgeous. The entire room was with nice tiles all over.

Our honey mooner suite was bigger and very well appointed with such a beautiful terrace ! Walk in closet, large living room and gorgeous bathroom as well.

Facing the Golf course you have way much more sun so it can became very very hot, but you most likely gonna get a little balcony which is nice, facing the pool you have a nice sun but for what I have seen no balcony.

We have nothing bad to say about the rooms as they were spectacular and clean. I guess people who were disapointed either had a room in the non renovated part of the hotel or they had no clue that such an historic building will not be built with standard of nowadays (i.e : bedroom that looks like a 1 bedroom, but with no style !) Anyway I am from Europe, so I knew. Spa is great :-)

Cons:
-Valet parking (but you do have the option to self park)
-Check your bills for "complimentary" (because we had "complimentary breakfast" written on the bill, but ended up having it back on the end of the bill items list)
-If you have your wedding there (does not matter which room, they are all beautiful; we were in the CC Ballroom) just know that Bruce the guy who is running the "Biltmore by design" is a joke of no help (you can email me for details of the story); only Vanessa V from the catering department and her staff did a great job of organizing and helping. Our wedding was a success mainly because of her.

Overall, nice staff, beautiful hotel, well maintained ground, largest pool in the area !
More expensive than other hotel but worth it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

873 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

Probably the Finest looking hotel in Miami/Coral Gables.

Service is spot on, Pool is huge with plenty of beds, restaurants serve great food. Rooms are big with great views no matter what side of the hotel you are on. The Hotel has class there's no doubt about that, try breakfast in the garden it's special.

Didnt play golf but did go out to the everglades and it's well worth the visit, ask concierge for car hire, it takes about an hour to get there.

The Biltmore is in a very nice neighbourhood the house nr by are some of the nicest in Miami, the trees that line the streets are all well manicured as are the lawns.

All in all I would go back.......see what your missing

• Liked — The views and the pool area, along with the breakfast area in the garden
  • Disliked — checking out, I didnt want to leave
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

My partner and I booked a late getaway and weren't disappointed.

The room was fabulous - a great view, the bed was very luxurious and the bathroom was nicely themed, (I've added some pictures but I'm not great at taking them so doesn't do it justice really!). There was a turndown service every evening and they even filled the ice bucket for us when they reaslied we used it on the first night.

The pool was huge! You wouldn't even notice if it was busy. There's enough room for everyone. There were even towels placed on our loungers for when we got out.

The staff were very helpful and always polite. The free parking was a bonus in Miami!

The hotel is a piece of history and certainly gave you a sense of exactly what kind of people had been through the doors over the many years.

Although out of the way of the usual hustle and bustle of the city, (which is exactly what we wanted!), this was a great base for our holiday and our first trip to Miami. The letter thanking us for our stay when we got home, I thought, was a really lovely touch.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone, (unless of course you like being in the middle of the noisy city). I'd say it's great for couples and familys alike.

I'm just sorry it's taken me so long to write this review, but when I saw what rubbish other people were writing I thought it was time to say something!

Thank you to all at the Biltmore who made our stay very memorable. We certainly hope to return one day!!

• Liked — It was clean, we had a luxurious room, the large pool, free parking and freindly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

The Biltmore is a gorgeous hotel with a beautiful swmming pool and grounds. However, the niceties of my experience ended there. MY room smelled of terrible mold. When I called to report it, the lady seemed to know excatly what I was talking about, describing in detail what I could smell which tells me they've had this problem before. Even after spraying the room, the smell was very unhealthy and they switched me to another room which was smelled of mold but was more tolerable. They had to crank the window open to help air the room to make it bearable. The hotel management offered nothing for the inconvenienco - no fruit plate, wine, etc. The rooms are big but outdated. TV set is not flat panel and the reception is poor for some channels. Toiletries are nice and the bed was comfortable. Free wifi in the room but you have to pay if you don't have your laptop (does that make sense??). Small expensive coffee shop with no place to sit and enjoy the coffee. Had dinner at the Fontana restaurant twice but the food was disappointing. The second time I was there the sea bass fillet was uncooked which I had to send back - unforgiven for this type of hotel!
In summary, you will spend a lot of money and not get half of it back! There are better hotels in the area.

ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2009
South Florida’s warm, sub-tropical climate is considered the primary attraction for many of the area’s visitors. As typical in lush sub-tropical regions, South Florida is subject periodically to high humid conditions to which some visitors are more sensitive than others. Biltmore management has been able to address these concerns as they relate to the property in a timely and effective manner. The Biltmore welcomes all feedback from our guests so as to ensure the quality of our product and services
washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

We booked through LHW and was upgraded to a suite from junior suite.

Suite: good
The suite was on high floor, very spacious and the view was great. The bed was very comfortable, but the bathroom was not as updated as other 5 star hotels, i.e. no jacuzzi bath tub, just regular tub with shower (not separate) and 1 sink.

Resort: great
I really liked the old historic feel of the building. Although the elevator was a bit scary, (felt unsafe) the lobby and the pool were very beautiful. The tennis court, golf course were nice.

Service: poor
I have to agree with some other reviews on this. The service was not good. There were only 1 pair of slippers/cup in the suite for the reservation for two, and they also denied our complimentary breakfast. It was included in our rate, but LHW had to call the Biltmore to resolve this. Biltmore later apologized for their mistake. The pool service was also slow and rather random.

Food: poor
I can only comment on their breakfast, but I have to agree with other reviews on this as well... The breakfast was not good, not tasty. It was not that there were problems, but was not up to the 5 star resort standard at all in our opinion.

All in all, we were satisfied with our stay because of the upgrade to the spacious suite from the junior suite. However, I would strongly hope that they can improve on their service and the food. It is really, too bad because they already have a great facility, and I would love to come back if they take their problems seriously.

• Liked — facility (except the elevator....)
  • Disliked — mistake with reservation, poor breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2008
Biltmore Management welcomes constructive feedback from all our valued guests as an integral part of monitoring the quality of our services and product to assure they are consistent with a world-class luxury resort. Our staff is trained to respond to guests’ concerns in a timely and positive manner and resolve issues with the utmost of professionalism.
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

The Biltmore is a majestic property that truly inspires the senses. For its age we were pleased to see how well maintained it was. We had dinner at Palme D'or, went to the bar and ate breakfast so we got a feel for the place. Sadly, many things are askew.

The Bad:
1. The valet howled at us as we stopped off the main entrance. He was some distance away and at 3pm no other people were there to receive us so I merely parked out of the way and proceeded inside. The valet shouted to wait, arrived panting and gasping, demanded my keys and rudely threatened to impose the valet fee of $25 if we did move the car in 10 minutes. That is an absurd way to receive guests.
2. The Bar - The bartender would rather make calls and chat with his cohorts in the back room. His lack of attention detracts from a truly great hotel bar that looks as a bar should. We struggled to get drinks and of course he added a 18% gratuity that was entirely unearned.
3. Palme D'or - We advised them we are having drinks but they only gave us 10 minutes to take our table. The place was 20% full. Why be difficult?? The food was average and not worth its Zagat rating. The "special" white truffles from Alba were flavorless and not worth the surcharge. Service was sluggish but the staff were polite.
4. Breakfast Buffet- The buffet is uninspired and small. My omelet was overcooked, the pastries were stale and dull, the bread dry and the service very slow. The omelet chef delayed my order to serve someone in line after me. Oh well, I do not speak Spanish and should know my place.
5. Nickel and Dime Policies - Adding an 18% tip to everything is absurd.The staff feel entitled and thus do not offer consistent service. They also have a $20 resort fee for internet service, local calls, self parking, and bellman services. The informational guide says this fee covers the bellman's tips but they stand around expecting money anyways.
6. The turndown service maid simply chucked a bucket of ice on our things on the desk knocking over my change and vitamins leaving a mess. Thoughtless!
7. The Front Desk - Check in took forever. The clerk must have been new. When her colleague came to help he suggest they upgraded us to a junior suite. I BOOKED a junior suite. The breakfast credit of $40 falls about $16 short on the buffet when you add taxes and service fees. That is wrongheaded.
8. "A junior suite" - is a regular 350 sq foot hotel room with a small sofa. The name is misleading. Though the room was nice.

The Good
1. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the view from our room on the 5th floor was very good.
2. The grounds are a delight.
3. Location is close to many Coral Gables and Miami attractions.

I travel 200+ nights a year and must say the Biltmore is not a 5 star hotel. The lazy attitude towards service, bland food offerings, and wrongheaded policies deter from the guest experience. For the price you will be better served at the Four Seasons Miami. For a lesser price the Hyatt Coral Gables or the Westin in Coral Gables are fair choices.

• Liked — The Grounds
  • Disliked — The misguided policies and service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We had one night at the Biltmore during our fly drive holiday. It is very opulent and grand as you drive to it, but our initial greeting was disappointing. There are no clear signs as you approach, so naturally we drove to the front area where there are staff waiting.

As we stopped the car, they open your doors for you, very nice we thought, then, realising that we didn't have valet parking, we are herded back in and told something in a very strong Spanish accent that we couldn't understand, but just made out the words 'turn left'.

Rather bewildered, we drove out and turned left and saw signs for the golf course, so went and parked in there. Turns out this is the correct car park anyway, but the signage is very misleading.

We really liked the authentic appearance of the hotel both inside and out, and felt like we were entering a luxury hotel, particularly as we waited in the lobby to be served. Incidentally, two desk staff were serving one family and kept us waiting five minutes while they did so, which was a bit poor.

the room was lovely, with a view of the pool and grounds. The bed was very comfortable and everything was extremely clean, so I cannot fault this at all.

We had some coffee by the pool later and a stroll around the grounds, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

A good stay, and I didn't feel that I got ripped off, but customer service could really do with an overhaul.

• Liked — The luxury feel
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!