“Magnificent Tower Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Magnificent Tower Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Beautiful towered building with an incredible pool, amazing lobby (soaring vaulted painted ceiling), many nice restaurants, and grounds with attractive fountains, golf, tennis, and ample parking. The staff was universally friendly and will give you an orientation when you arrive. The hallways are decorated with large 1930s vintage photos of famous golfers and others during the Biltmore’s heyday. There is free wifi throughout the hotel, including the guest rooms. We enjoyed every meal at the hotel - from pool-side sandwiches to the breakfast buffet around the central fountain courtyard.

We had a junior suite - an excellent room that was clean, quiet, and attractively tiled throughout. Two big windows overlooked the golf course and Coral Gables. The bed was comfortable and had a painted headboard. In the room there was a couch, rug, coffee table, and a floor-to-ceiling dresser/desk/entertainment combo piece with a TV on each side (more on these below). The room had plenty of lamps with 3-way bulbs that were bright enough for reading on the highest setting. The room featured just about everything: 2 luggage racks, robes, slippers, extra pillows, real wooden hangers, iron & board, hairdryer, room safe, and settable thermostat. In addition to the painted headboard and tiling, room decorations were framed photos of fountains, and a large vintage map. The bathroom had plenty of towels and toiletries. The newspaper (Sunday Miami Herald, USA Today otherwise) was hung on the door daily. There was a turn-down service (with chocolates left of the pillow) in the afternoon.

The negatives were few: the two flat screen TVs (about 24” each) were the same model, and thus each remote interfered with the other (IR signals bounce around the room). The on/off signal is a toggle. I was watching a late football game on mute from the couch, and when I turned that TV off, the bed-facing TV turned on and started blaring - waking up my wife from a sound sleep. Not a good set-up. I figured out a work-around which was to find the manual on/off switch (hidden at the lower right side) and use that instead of the remote. On the topic of electrical stuff: there was only one outlet (by the desk) where one could plug in a charger/laptop/etc. Otherwise, you have to use the bathroom sink outlet, or start moving furniture and unplugging lamps, etc. Another somewhat negative was that the shower water pressure was just ok. The hotel is in a well established, pretty, residential neighborhood, but you'll need to drive to get anywhere for shops and restaurants (except for those part of the hotel itself).

One weird note: There was the usual over-priced in-room candy and snack tray prominently displayed at eye-level by the bedroom TV. The whole thing was an easily movable leather tray. We didn’t want to have that stuff staring at us the whole time, so we called and ask that it be removed, but we were told that they would charge us for doing that. Bizarre! So I just covered it with a towel. Problem solved, but not in-keeping with the rest of our experience.

Overall a great hotel that we would visit again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback about your stay. I am pleased to read that we met your expectations at so many levels and apologize for the inconvenience the dual TV system and the water pressure have caused you. Both issues have been reviewed by our facilities team and been corrected. We will also work with our room service staff to ensure we handle special requests with more customer orientation. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Matthias Kammerer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

During a recent stay for a Healthcare conference, I had probably the worst hotel experience in my 20+ years of business travel. While checking in, the beauty of the lobby was the best highlight of this trip. The employee that checked us in was "In Training" and the manager left her alone to check us in. We were not informed of the 100.00 per day incidicental fee that would be charged as a hold to our cards. Also, my co-worker's reservation was lost, even though we had the confirmation number. She was only allowed to stay one night and the conference rate was not honored. Room Service was the highlight of our stay. The prices were comparable and the food quality was above average. However, that's where the positive experiences end. No WIFI in the conference rooms. No cell reception in the lower conference rooms. Staff was not helpful. There was on place to purchase coffee. No access to coffee makers, vending machines, and microwaves. Bugs in rooms. And one morning, the power went out in my room due to operating a hair dryer and television at the same time.... I have requested a receipt for my stay four times and am still pending for reimbursement. Overall, a very poor experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, my sincere apologies on behalf of our entire staff. As a world-class luxury destination resort, The Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry – and your experience is certainly not consistent with our normal – or desired - standards.

Regarding your check-in experience, we have made some changes to our Front Desk management, and we’re sure that you will be able to see a difference upon your return; as it was unfortunate that you were left alone with a Trainee who did not explain the incidentals deposit to you.

With the Wi-Fi service, the installation of such in the meeting rooms is congruent with what is requested by the meeting planner. Cell phone signals proprietary to the provider, and can be stronger or weaker in different parts of the country. Having said that, however, we are currently working with all the carriers to boost their signals throughout the resort.

Coffee, pastries and fruit can be purchased from 7 AM onward in the Cellar Club Bar on the Lower Lobby Level – and you should have been directed there by one of our staff members. Regarding the bugs, the power complaint, and the situation with your colleague’s reservation, we have investigated the matter internally, and have taken measures to address the problems with the appropriate managers of the Engineering, Housekeeping and Reservations departments. We are confident that the issues have been effectively resolved and we will be using the information as part of our ongoing staff training, in order to prevent future occurrences.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

The beautiful Biltmore Pool is now heated (as of January 2014.) The hotel has complimentary water aerobics classes for all hotel guests. Best deal ever! Working out in paradise and then having a refreshing after workout drink at the pool side bar or in your very own cabana.

Room Tip: room 607 beautiful view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share this positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again at The Biltmore soon.
St. Moritz, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Of course, not everything is as it should be. Ýou have to remember that the hotel is not modern - but no modern hotel has this charme. The lady at the concierge desk is extraordinary helpful and polite! I never before met such a good concierge.
The normal restaurant could be a better, it´s maitre d` seems to be upper class.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
As a world-class luxury destination resort, The Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your kind words about our Concierge staff.
Riyadh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was a family trip to Miami. What a great disappointment with this hotel. Perhaps we had high expectations by some of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. But unfortunately, the negative reviews were quite accurate on Tripadvisor. This is beautiful hotel, great facilities, but the people managing the property think that we should be "honored" to be guests of the hotel. I have never had such a terrible service in a supposedly 4 star hotel. We were a family of 5, three of them children. We booked two rooms, and asked the possibility of connecting, or at least, nearby rooms when we were checking in. We were given two rooms in different floors... because they were "sold out" that night. Very bad attitude when communicating this, by the way. We were told that it was our fault because we did not notify them in advance. Arriving at midnight after a long flight, and this "welcoming" reception at the front desk... Second, both of our rooms had great views: the hotel dumpster area.
There was very poor instruction from the front desk personnel about the amenities of the hotel, besides the supposedly "largest hotel pool" in the US. The pool was certainly large, but I doubt it is the largest in the US! I have stayed in many, many hotels in and out of the US with similar sized or even larger pools... Another big disappointment was with the Sunday brunch. We were having breakfast at the restaurant every day, but on Sunday they seem to have a brunch and they close the regular entrance of the restaurant. Of course, no signs explaining why the restaurant entrance was closed... We had to research where the entrance of the brunch was, and once we found it, there were some folks at the reception desk who did not even care to look at us and ask if we needed any help. After we stayed a few seconds there (again, no signs or any indication of the "process" to enter the dining area) we decided to go ahead and enter to see if we could find anyone to assign a table for us. It was interesting because we felt like the "invisible people": waiters passed us and no one greeted us or offered us assistance. Then I assumed the system was to take any available table and wait for service, and we did... only to be reprimanded by the brunch "manager" telling us that we needed to wait to be seated at the reception outside. We decided to go back outside, and the same two folks who ignored us initially at the reception, kept ignoring us by greeting other "guests" (perhaps their family members???) who were arriving AFTER us. Really it was very embarrassing situation, and we have never received this kind of treatment in any hotel in the world, even the bad ones... We decided to leave the place and eat somewhere else. But that did not end the story... Once we get to our car, which was self-parked at the hotel lot (I forgot to mention that we avoided the valet parking, since it took almost 20 minutes to get our car back the first day... for the modest sum of 25 USD), we found a note on our windshield saying that we were parked in a "restricted zone", and the management apologized for not having signs indicating so, but they were working on that... (?). In other words, we parked in the wrong place, but they admitted that it was their fault because there were no signs showing that (!). I wonder how long does it take to put a sign in that parking spot... Obviously more than 4 days, since we checked every day and never saw any signs!
I must admit that the people at the concierge and the doorman were a bit different, they seem to be nicer. Overall, it was a night and day service when we left and arrived to the Langham Place Hotel in New York, our third stop in our holiday vacation. What a difference! That was a real hotel with outstanding service (that review will come next). The Biltmore, sadly, is asking for a new owner who could take care of it properly, could train the personnel with professional peopleand preserve the name of this traditional facility of Coral Gables.

Dear Guest,

I am extremely surprised and disappointed by the experiences you had during your recent stay with us. We are proud of the high quality offerings and service we provide our guests on a consistent basis and take any feedback to the contrary very serious. We have reviewed your observations with our senior leadership team for action and consideration.

Orangeburg, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed in a small suite during December graduation for a Univ of Miami relative. What a beautiful hotel. Very elegant. Our "wing" only had a few rooms on the side of the hotel. It was soooo not your typical hotel stay. Out bathroom actually had 2 sinks which worked out great. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My stay was for December 20-25. Upon check in they attempted to give me a room that wasn't the one I reserved. At first I was told it was the same room but I pulled out my reservation to show it wasn't (a Terrace Suite versus Golf Suite). The manager Brooke then admitted that my room wasn't available because someone was allowed to extend their stay in my reserved and confirmed room. What was insulting was the attempt to deceive me into taking the wrong room assuming I wouldn't have the proof I had a different room. They were apparently planning on charging me the same rate for a smaller room and then to add insult to injury Brooke offered to reduce the price of a $500 room by $20 as if that was the issue. In most hotels you would get a larger better room at the same price and this was an attempt to give me a smaller room at the same price. I planned this trip for months with my family and picked a specific type of room. As an aside, I asked if the replacement room was near the wedding that was going on at the big building just back and West of the hotel. Brooke said it wasn't and when I got to the room it was right over all the noise the first night and every night thereafter that the Biltmore has weddings. I also had to go back to the front desk to get my original confirmation of my resrevation because Brooke had kept it in an apparent attempt to hide the evidence that I had been ripped off and my vacation spoiled. By the way, the closet in this Terrace Suite hadn't been cleaned in months because when I put some clothes on the shelf in the closet it was covered in dust. This is a beautiful property that needs professional management from a real hotel chain that knows about service (Four Seasons, etc.) I now know why this hotel has been in and out of bankruptcy or financial trouble for decades...they can't match the superb location with the service to get people to come back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent arrival experience with us. We regret this unacceptable performance and have recently made some leadership changes in order to ensure that we provide high quality guest experience throughout the entire hotel. With regards to bankruptcy or financial troubles, you must have us confused with another, similarly named property.

Matthias Kammerer

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!