“Good, not great!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Nj
“Good, not great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Loved the lobby and old world charm of the place and overall, happy smiling people all over the hotel, so extra points for that. Here's what didn't work for me:

o I have meds that need a frozen pack to keep them at correct temp. With no freezer in room, I asked front desk if they could store it overnight. Sure they said, "that will be a storage cost of $30 each night"! I was actually in shock and after a bit of back and forth with a manager, they stored my meds for no cost, but come on guys, I've stayed at a Holiday Inn that would never have given me any lip about costs for this.

o The desk setup in the rooms is almost nonfunctional. Small pullout desk like you may have experienced when you were about 6 yrs of age, but not so much when you have real work to do.

o There was a rather funky smell in the room like you were in a basement...a REAL turnoff.

o We had a pullout bed for my son who was sleeping in the same room as us. Unfortunately, the AC is one of those that's either full on or full off and if we wanted to stay cool, it meant freezing him out because the AC ducts were blowing directly on him and no way to redirect the flow of air.

o We ate at the 19th hole overlooking the golf course and had one of the worst meals I've had in my life...fish tacos and salsa appetizer. The fish tacos actually bear ZERO resemblance to a fish taco...made in some sort of tasteless wrap and barely edible. We also order chips and salsa which set us back $8 and was quite literally a tablespoon of salsa, one tablespoon of guacamole and one of sour cream. Basically 8 chips of dipping or let's just say $1 per bite for salsa??!!

Don't get me wrong, with a few tweaks, I would have moved to 4 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
We welcome constructive feedback from all of our guests as an integral part of monitoring services and product throughout the resort. It’s our desire to ensure every guest experience is both exceptional and memorable. Rest assured that we have investigated the matter internally, and have taken measures to address the problems with the appropriate department managers. We are confident that the issues have been effectively resolved and we will be using the information as part of our ongoing staff training, in order to prevent future occurrences. We very much value your patronage and hope to have an opportunity to re-establish ourselves with you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very cool pool, rooms tastefully done. Very nice change from the glitz and glitter of the Miami Beach hotels. Loved learning the history of the place from the very nice staff. Spa was very nice. The Italian restaurant,food was excellent as was the service and ambience sitting outside was very nice as well . Pool service could have been better, but other than that we had a very nice stay.

Room Tip: High floor facing the pool/ golf course for a nicer view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share this positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again at The Biltmore soon.
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The old school for hospitality :biltmore, but with a young touch , not dusty, but very clear and fresh,poolrestaurant excellent lunch, cold drinks, nice waitress, the bed fall in and sleep! Cleanest bathrooms, linen
and carpet, there is a pricetag, but worth any penny, you really get what you pay for, thank you excellent!

Room Tip: A little higher and you have a nice view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Newton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding venue. The hotel was great. The pool is the largest of any in USA so it provided lots of spots to meet up with our friends. 19th Hole restaurant was our favorite for breakfast and lunch. Staff were so helpful imparting historical info... 13th floor, Al Capone, WWII hospital, etc. What fun. The grounds are lovely. My only complaint was humidity at this time of year! Being a Bostonian, it was a bit difficult to deal with. I have no complaints about the hotel, but wish it was closer to the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking golf course or one with balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
The Biltmore is a designated National Historic Landmark property known for its rustic Mediterranean charm, which is usually warmly embraced by our guests. We’re delighted your stay with us was enjoyable.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and two daughters have just returned from an absolutely delightful 5 night stay at the Biltmore. We are pretty fussy and have high standards. I also believe you get what you pay for up to a point, thereafter you pay for a name/brand.

In every respect the Biltmore ticks our boxes. The food is superb and beautifully presented. The rooms (we had two) are more than adequately sized, well decorated, clean and furnished in keeping with the property.

The pool is fabulous, 73 metres long (I think) and the water just at the right temperature. Cleaned daily and during the day by the attentive pool side staff. The sun loungers are of excellent quality, plenty of towels, umbrellas etc etc.

The golf course is well cared for and a pleasure to play, even though I left a couple of balls in the water protecting one of the greens!

The gym is very well appointed, the Spa superb (according to my wife), the harpist playing at high tea time a lovely touch.

The building itself is amazing, a real cross of architecture and such is the charm that you can feel equally at home wandering around in casual clothing as well as dressed to the nines.

As for the staff, well for us nothing was too much trouble for them. Courteous, polite, on hand, exactly what you would want without being fawned over.

I really could go on and on, I honestly could not fault the place or the people working there. I would go back there without a second thought, and certainly hope to next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, The Biltmore staff continuously strives to exceed our guests’ needs and expectations. We're delighted to know that we succeeded with you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

First the hotel is BEAUTIFUL.... the architecture, the details the decorating is just beautiful. Location is approx. 20 minutes from Miami airport and 15 minutes to a major mall and downtown Coral Gables area with lots of restaurants and shops. Miami is about 20- 30 minutes away

The double room we stayed in had a small balcony overlooking the fountain, gardens and golf course. Could not have asked for a nicer, more comfortable room. Firm, comfortable beds, nice quality sheets. Living room area with sofa and chair, separate work space perfect for laptop work and later on for serving drinks/ snacks. Nicely appointed bathroom with plush robes and top quality soaps, shampoos. Requested no feather/ down and had no problems.

Everyone in the hotel was super friendly, eager to help. Pool was wonderful- big, not crowded and tons of chairs. Food and drinks around pool were good, not outrageously priced. Spa is decadent- indulged in a 70 minute massage and was very happy. ($99 summer special price- would not go if I had to pay full $220 price) The room price is reasonable-- especially compared to Miami-- but the mini fridge is pricey. Bring your own snacks & beverages. Liked that tax and tips were included in prices

This was a business trip for husband and a mini vacation for me....Will definitely return

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
As a world-class luxury destination resort, The Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and could avail yourself of the Miami Spa Month special pricing in the Spa!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My first impression was that I felt a little out of place driving up to the property.

There were 2 1950s era Rolls Royces on the road, one I front, one in back. Plus there were people in the hotel lobby all in formal attire... And me in a T-shirt and shorts. It was little like stepping into a Humphrey Bogart movie fully expecting to see him hanging out at the bar.

Once things got settled I found the staff was extremely courteous. These people make the Biltmore. At no time after I arrived did I feel as if they were not old friends of mine that I just haven't seen in a long time.

My room was clean and it didn't have an old smell to it that some hotels tend to have. It was a overlooking the front of the hotel and in the distance I could see downtown. My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to see the entire property, but I definitely will return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, The Biltmore staff continuously strives to exceed our guests’ needs and expectations. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!