“Great resort” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, Ohio, Usa
“Great resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great experience overall. Beautiful pool and grounds but very expensive food and drink. Very clean rooms with comfy beds. Spacious room. When requesting a mini fridge it was brought to my room within 15 minutes. Staff is polite overall except for some of the poolside waiters. Highly recommend for a weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Request a pool view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
We are very appreciative of this feedback and regret that our poolside service failed to meet your expectations. The Biltmore prides itself on an outstanding service culture worthy of its luxury status. We have dealt with the particular personnel involved and are confident that the issues have been effectively resolved. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

857 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Martinsburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our 2nd hotel stay at the Biltmore. We are a married couple (40s and 50s in age) and live about 45 minutes from Coral Gables. I booked the reservation (for two nights) about two months in advance and used a promotion on their website (book one night, receive 2nd night ½ off). Considering we were staying over the 4th of July, this was a great deal for us.

We checked in Wed 7/3 and entered the facility on the lower level pool side and made our way to the lobby for check-in. We arrived at 3:15 and there was no check-in line (yeah). The 1st thing the lady asked us was if we were given bell boy tickets downstairs for our luggage ( I guess she knew we came from the elevators since she didn’t see us enter via the front lobby). We answered no and she proceeded with our check-in. Considering the hotel now charges you $20 a day for maid/bell boy trips, wifi and town car service, I would have thought she would have given us tickets or grabbed a bell boy to take our luggage to the room for us. I was disappointed that they are now charging us for that service/tips and get they don’t make sure that you receive it. That is my 1st area for improvement.

On my online reservation, I had asked for the highest room possible. We were given the 10th floor which WAS the highest for the room type that I had booked. We were given an ‘end’ room and I can tell you it had one of the best views. Our bedroom had two large windows (one overlooking the front, one overlooking the golf course). The bathroom had a third large window overlooking the golf course/pool area. The room and all of the various amenities were spot on. The room was perfect. The pillows are too large/long for my liking but after the 1st night, I found standard size pillows in the closest and rest better the 2nd night.

We stayed on 7/3 with checkout on 7/5. Relaxing by the pool and watching the fireworks (from the pool lounger) was our priority during this trip. We had already read TA reviews about the lack of loungers and the craziness in the pool area so on the 4th of July; I was up and at the pool by 7:15am to get two of them for us. I didn’t do as most folks do and leave a book or bag on the lounger and then go back to get more sleep or breakfast. I was literally in the loungers or in the pool in front of the loungers from 7:15am to 9:30pm. I can tell you that I observed many unhappy people who did not get a lounger for the day because they got to the pool around 8:30-9:00 am and honestly, I didn’t feel sorry for them. In my opinion, they should have been up as early as me if they wanted a seat for the day (considering its a holiday in the middle of the summer and folks are naturally going to be at/near the pool at day). The pool staff did bring out more loungers but that she made the walk ways next to impossible to pass through because they had too many loungers in such a small space. The 2nd area of improvement I can offer is for the laundry staff to be more prepared on what is typically a very busy holiday. What I mean by that is we were at the pool on Wed 7/3 until around 7:30 and saw the pool staff wheel bins and bins of pool towels and lounger covers into the building. Considering I was poolside at 7:15am the next morning, you’d think I would have had my chair dressed. I was given a towel and told that the chase covers weren’t ready yet. I asked every hour for the next 5 hours for a lounger cover and kept being told that they were very busy and behind and had none clean. When I walked around the pool between 10-2 pm, about 10% of the chairs had lounger covers. I have no idea what happened Wednesday evening with the laundry services.

We ordered two drinks pool side between Thur & Fri and they were $18 each (with tax & tip). Way too high for me. I was glad I brought my own and just kept sending hubby back to the room for ice and alcohol. Considering they had a ‘fixed poolside menu’ on the 4th of July, which was very high in price and didn’t suite our food tastes, I used DeliveryWOW (online website) to order both lunch and dinner for us. They delivered to the lobby of the hotel and I got a ton of food for a lower cost that the hotel could provide AND I didn’t have to drive in all that 4th of July ciaos to get us some food. We brought the bags poolside and ate our delivered food. I do have to commend the way the hotel did not let non Biltmore guests into the pool area. They had someone patrolling the entrance all day. WAY TO GO.

We took advantage of happy hour at the Biltmore Bar (between 5 & 7pm). Had two martinis for $25. They were $8 each, then $9 in tax/tip. Typically the martinis are $16 each. The female bar tender was awesome making a berry flavored one that was out of this world.

Checkout on Friday went smooth and we asked for an additional hour (since my husband had a conference call at noon) and they gave it to us so we checked out at 1pm and spent the rest of the afternoon poolside (we departed around 5pm).

Good 4th of July holiday, wonderful hotel with just a few suggestions in this review for improvement. It’s been 7 years since we stayed at the Biltmore. I’m sure we’ll stay again sometime in the distant future.

Room Tip: Room 1004 is on the end and is the highest floor (non tower). Our bedroom/bathroom had 3 large wind...
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Our staff and management at The Biltmore always appreciate hearing from our guests. The pool area over the July 4th holiday was somewhat overpopulated, which resulted in a less than desired setting. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address the towel situation to prevent any future occurrences. Also, regarding your comments on the resort fee: these are standard charges at all hotels throughout South Florida and have been for some years now. We appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed comment, and hope that we will see you again in the near future.
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I rarely give a hotel five stars. There always seems to be something that drags it down. In this case, however, I simply must give the highest possible rating. From check-in to check-out, everything was absolutely perfect.

My partner and I were at The Biltmore for a few days while attending a wedding event. We arrived very early, around 10:30 AM. I went to the front desk, asking if there was any possible way we could check in early (I realized that check in is technically at 3 PM but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask). The front desk agent, Katie, was very polite but informed us that the hotel had been "fully committed" overnight, and that no rooms were currently ready. She then offered to take my cell phone number and call me when a room was ready. I didn't expect much, but said "sure". Imagine my surprise when my phone rang at 12:15. It was the front desk informing me that the room was ready. Now THAT is service! We had reserved a "deluxe" room (room 312). It was lovely with a separate sitting area including a sofa, two-sided armoire, king sized bed, large bathroom and an outside balcony, facing the front of the hotel. I was pleased to be facing that way because the rooms around the pool and banquet areas can get very noisy with weddings and other events. Unfortunately there was a very noisy family directly across the hall., They had two rooms, 309 & 311, and left the door wide open in 309 all day long, shouting (mostly the adults, not the children!) in Spanish, and the door to 311 slamming constantly all day long. After hours of this I finally called the front desk. Apparently security went up there because the noise subsided shortly thereafter. Although the hotel is wonderful, I guess there are tacky people everywhere. If I had one complaint about the structure, it would be to install guest room doors that closed more quietly and slowly. The current doors have the ability to "slam", and they did slam quite a bit.

At 2 PM we went to the lobby for afternoon tea. This is a must! Reservations are recommended, and there are two seatings, 2 PM and 3:30 PM. It was a traditional English Tea, with many choices of teas and a huge 3-tiered platter of finger sandwiches, tea cakes and scones. We kind of wished there had been more "non-sweet" offerings, but otherwise it really was nice. There was a harpist playing classical music and a very sweet Hispanic lady was the waitress. We had to wait a long time for her to bring us our check when we were finished; that was the only problem.

The only real complaint would be the entrees at the wedding dinner. There was only one choice for the entire party: A chicken breast on mashed potatoes with a few asparagus spears. In principal, this sounds fine but apparently the chicken was plated far too early, or overcooked, because it was dry and rubbery. Salad was fine, service was polite and unobtrusive.

I hung out the room service "doorknob menu" last night with great trepidation. In other hotels, the doorknob option is hit or miss, with the food usually arriving far later than the time selected. I checked "between 7 and 7:30". To my delight, there was a knock on the door at 7:05. It was room service. The server, Kimberly R. was very polite and quiet. She noticed that someone was still asleep and spoke to me in a whisper. The continental breakfast was fine; nothing spectacular, but fine. Coffee, juice, 4 assorted pastries.

All in all, this is a great place if you want to splurge and relax. I would recommend spending a bit more and reserving one of the poolside cabanas. The pool gets very busy and the cabanas offer some privacy and shade. We did not go to the pool because of our other obligations but agreed that if we came back, we would definitely get a cabana. There were really a LOT of people out there, but surprisingly, not many were actually IN the huge pool.

Upon checkout, the doormen thanked us for visiting. We did not need a taxi or any help at all since we only had two small overnight bags. By the way, whenever I went to my car (in self parking) to get something, a doorman/valet attendant would always say, "welcome back". Very nice touch.

Given the opportunity and the reason, I would come back to The Biltmore in a heartbeat. Service truly DOES make the difference, and they nailed it this time. Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the building. They tend to be much quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. In the future, please do not hesitate to contact the Front Desk straight away if you are being disturbed by other guests. We like for our guests to feel as if The Biltmore were “a bit of Paradise away from the hustle and bustle of busy Miami” - and, therefore, a place of tranquility and comfort. We look forward to seeing you at The Biltmore again soon.
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Deserving its excellent reputation, the Biltmore in Coral Gables will transport you to an era of fine elegance, exquisite appointments and fine dining- lost, or inaccessible to most. I can't praise the hotel and its attendant staff enough.

The hotel is a jewel. The Spa exquisite, the pool spectacular and spotless, the poolside cabanas quaint, private and comfortable-worth it, very nice gym, and the grounds well kept! The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. The bathrooms were a bit tight, but manageable.

We got a great Expedia 50% discount for the second night. They have this special going.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for this feedback. Our staff and management at The Biltmore always appreciate hearing from our guests. We’re delighted you and your family enjoyed the hospitality.
Durango CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Myself and 3 of my New Yorker, 30 something girlfirends just left our weekend at the incredibly waspy Biltmore.

Upon arrival it has an elegance that cannot be denied. You can imagine the parties that were held there in it's hay-day. The interior decor is an odd combination of stately and shabby chic- but I would not complain about that - it general it is old world and lovely.

The problem is that there is ZERO hospitality. When paying "Biltmore" rates and looking for a "Biltmore" experience you shouldn't have to constantly seek out service. Nothing was easy at the Biltmore. To elaborate:
*We were never greeted by the pool or asked if we needed anything.
*When I finally approached a server to get us a drink - he said can you wait here? Instead of offering to bring them to us!!
*After an after noon swim we were shrugged at and told there were NO CLEAN towels. Sorry- (there were hundreds of filthy used towels scattering the grounds.
*WE WERE HUNG UP ON> 2X by room service while trying to make a simple coffee order.
*We left COVERED in mosquito bites. Covered. It is really unacceptable that they do not maintain this.
*We let a manager know of our struggles ... he bought us a round of drinks and the situation was never addressed again.

I am happy to indulge and spend a little extra to treat myself and I frankly often do ... In the immortal words of Pretty Woman, "Big Mistake, Huge."

I would never go here again nor recommend a friend or bride. Best luck catching up with the times Biltmore - you can't rely on your old world glamor forever.

(Walter, Fernando, and the man who made us our Cuban Coffee were lovely - they should be trainers.)

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suite is for families ... maybe the whole hotel is.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very impressive and classic hotel, with an outstanding architecture, and a very clean ambient. In fact, i never stayed here but, every time i come to Miami, i go there sunday morning to eat the worlds better brunch, which is a genuine food party and banquet, with all kinds of breads, fruits, red fruits, eggs and omelettes, and sea food, oysters, pastas, meet, pastry, cheese and everything else you can imagine, paired with magnifficent champagne. It is open to the public and you can make your visit even better if you stay forspending the whole day and include a visit to the most extraordinary and large and beautiful pool that i ever seen. I believe its the largest pool in the world. Besides, it is located close to golf and tennis courts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
The Biltmore Sunday Champagne Brunch is recognized as one of the best in the country, having received numerous reviews and accolades from both patrons and the industry for its quality, price value, presentation, service and unique setting. We closely monitor the quality of our services and product at the Sunday Brunch to assure they are consistent with a world-class luxury resort. This positive feedback is most appreciated.
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I love this hotel!!! When you walk in the door everyone treats you like royalty. The rooms are clean, and the beds are extremely comfortable. The maid came to our door around 5:00 pm, to check to see if we needed anything, we didn't, but she left us with some delicious chocolate.The food at the restaurants is 1st class, and there is an area where you can get a cup of coffee, muffin, or fruit in the morning, or a cocktail in the evening. You have full use of their gym, fitness classes, and their beautiful pool. Although I didn't take advantage of it this time, they have a wonderful spa there as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Our entire Biltmore team appreciates these kind words. It's always a pleasure to hear from our repeat guests. We look forward to your return and to delighting you again!

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!