“Biltmore Could be Great - Just Not There Yet.” 3 of 5 stars

Florida Resident Offer
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersGold level
connecticut
“Biltmore Could be Great - Just Not There Yet.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Wanted to stay at Biltmore for years but something always came up. Finally, I booked the Jr. Suite (room 711) and stayed 1 night. The hotel is a beautiful hotel but in our room - the sink hot water faucet leaked; the tub was de-laminating ie pealing, room had a somewhat musty smell and the position of the AC vent kept 1/2 of the room cool, the other half not so much. Also bugs in the bathroom. A full ice bucket in the room was a nice touch. Then the actual service - when checking in, pulled up to the front & had to run out and move the car while checking in -- where was the bellman? Then, never asked for a choice of paper? And when the paper delivered at 5:30AM, had to listen to the 20 "thumps" on the carpet as it was thrown down along the hallway. The noise loud enough to wake both my husband and I. Pool is beautiful, Grounds are beautiful. But when I asked at the fitness center, where to change for the pool - she told me to "go change in the restroom by the pool". It was only after I questioned her more that she told me I could change in the fitness center and use the locker rooms -- by the way the fitness center is RIGHT off the pool. Why didn't she suggest this first? In the morning several guests wandering around looking for coffee -- for a hotel of this caliper, you shouldn't have to fight for a morning cup of coffee. Like I said, Hotel could be great - but the level of service and attention to detail just is not there. For example, I'm in a jr. suite, with a king bed, 2 people -- but only one set of slippers left by the bed. And then the survey was emailed where I filled in these comments as I would have preferred to not post this on trip advisor -- but the survey won't accept my comments unless I answer the other 20+ questions! So, now I am posting these comments on trip advisor. Again, hotel with beautiful grounds and pool -- but service and attention to detail is just not there. Could be great but ....

Room Tip: Not room 711 - great view but faucet leaks, tub de-laminating and bugs in the bathroom.

853 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Biltmore Hotel is the centerpiece of timeless Coral Gables. The rest of metro Miami changes at warp speed yet Coral Gables remains a beautiful city set in a lush subtropical landscape. Having grown up in the area, I had never set foot in the Biltmore until this summer, when we stayed for three nights in a lovely room looking north over the Gables. Historic photographs line the halls illustrating the Biltmore's 85 years. Friendly service was excellent and the restaurants and pool are highlights of our visit. Prices are quite moderate in the summer, when Miami heat and humidity are high. Beware the $20 per night "resort fee" added to the regular rate. But one look at the pool (the world's largest heated pool, according to someone I talked to) surrounded by glorious Spanish architecture, classic sculptures, and tropical vegetation, and you think that it is worth it. Do yourself a favor, stay at the Biltmore, an historic resort that is unlike any other.

Room Tip: Free self-parking is close by and tips are included in the resort fee.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We closely monitor the quality of our services and product to assure they are consistent with a world-class luxury resort. This positive feedback is most appreciated! Regarding the resort fee, please know that it is for the convenience of our guests, and includes charges for special services not included in room rate, such as: in-room high speed internet, maid service gratuities, daily admission to the Biltmore Fitness Center, guest's choice of daily newspaper, unlimited local calls, long distance access on credit card and outbound collect calls, bellman gratuities for arrivals and departures, town car service throughout Coral Gables and automobile self-parking. Resort fees are standard charges at all hotels throughout South Florida.
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I spent one night in May at the Biltmore, as I did a few times since 1990, before I flew back to Europe after spending great holidays in Florida. The rooms are very nice and the hotel in short distance to the aiport and it has a large pool where you can relax.
The surprise came when I checked my credit card balance.
Even though I paid my breakfast in cash when checking out, as I had a prepaid voucher for the room, they charged my credit card with 100.62 USD. I tried to call there accounting department a few times to find out why my credit card was charged and I left messages on there phone answering machine to call me back but nobody called me back. Afterwards I tried to cancel the payment by the credit card company. Now Ms Graulich sent a "facked" Minibar bill listenig a number of drinks to the credi!t card provider. In reality we did not use the Minibar as we arrived quite late and went afterwards for dinner to a very nice Restaurant at Miracle Mile, which was recomended by their concierge two years ago, and had breakfast in the next morning before leaving.
I have to say that I am very disappointed by this behaviour after speding quite some nights in the Biltmore and recomending it to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We welcome constructive feedback from all of our guests as an integral part of monitoring services and performance throughout the resort. It’s our desire to ensure every guest experience is both exceptional and memorable. We would like to apologize for the miscommunication and for the untimely follow-up with you. We would also like to assure you that we would not issue any type of false invoice for any charges, mini-bar or otherwise. As a courtesy, we will review the mini-bar charge and take corrective action where necessary. We appreciate the time you took to share these concerns with us.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Historic hotel with an incredible pool and grounds. If you come you can not miss the Sunday Brunch which is one of the best in Miami. The wine bar has a very large selection and is extremely relaxing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
The Biltmore is a designated National Historic Landmark property known for its rustic Mediterranean charm, which is usually warmly embraced by our guests. Our Sunday Champagne Brunch has been rate #1 in Miami for several years running. We’re delighted your stay with us was enjoyable.
Sanford, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I tried to find one bad thing to say about the property but I just can't. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The service from the staff is impeccable. I usually can find at least some minor quibble with a hotel, but not with this one. Stay here. You'll love it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for this feedback. Our staff and management at The Biltmore always appreciate hearing from our guests. We’re delighted you and your family enjoyed the hospitality.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel and the property are absolutely gorgeous! I booked this based on my friend's recommendation, the hotel is huge and when you arrive the staff is very friendly and helpful, they offer you drinks when waiting on line to check in, the front desk offered us a complimentary upgrade from a standard room to a one bedroom suite which was amazingly beautiful and super clean. The pool is the largest I have ever seen, it looks like a lake, the only thing is that there is no heater for the pool as it is too large so I found the pool to be a bit cold. This is a very classy, upscale hotel with great customer service, the area of Coral Gables is very nice but a little out of the way to drive to anything, it wasn't near anything at all so any type of sightseeing was about a 20 min drive.

Room Tip: See if you can book it thru AAA travel, I got a ridiculously cheap rate of $203 per night including...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, The Biltmore staff continuously strives to exceed our guests’ needs and expectations. Please know that we are in the process of reassessing our pool heating needs, and anticipate having a new system within the next few months. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Sunrise, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Well, if you have to dream big, this would be the place to be.....there is so much wonderful history surrounding this hotel that it is an absolute must to take the guided tour (the Judge was awesome) provided by the hotel on Sunday afternoons. We were lucky enough to get to see Al Capone's suite and hear the tale's that went along with being in a room that had hidden doors and stairwells.
I made the reservation a week before we planned to go for a one night stay. It is only 35 mins from Ft. Lauderdale. Pavel was wonderful in providing the information about our room and more history on the hotel. The 19th Hole was a great place for late afternoon lunch; went to the Biltmore Bar before the play and had a cucumber martini..........very yummy. After the play, dinner at Fontana's......in a secluded corner with personal service, outrageous wine and food well, fit for a King and Queen. One last stop at the bar for a Cognac night cap.
The visit was short and sweet......looking forward to our next trip to this beautiful castle getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor with a fabulous golf course view. I even was a spectator of a beautiful...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s always a pleasure to hear from guests who have such a special connection with the Biltmore, as all of us here do. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us.

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!