I returned to the Biltmore Hotel two weeks ago, for a long weekend stay. I've written a prior review that generally lauds this resort hotel (probably can be found by clicking on my profile link). For now, a couple of additional comments:
- Fontana restaurant in the hotel's courtyard has an excellent breakfast buffet.
- on the main street of Coral Gables (about 2 miles away), we found Seasons 52 very good for one lunch; also, a short day/evening trip to the Florida Key "Islamorada" brought us to a another great restaurant - Marker 88 - that, if in that vicinity or up for the hour drive, has great food, music and exceptional sunset views - highly recommended!
- One major problem - this time at the hotel, there was a university graduation, and the poolside lounge chairs were mostly "reserved" by hotel guests, who first thing in the morning would place items on the lounge chairs so that they can lie on them later in the day. There were just not enough chairs AND the hotel policy is not to offer a chair that appears to be "reserved."
As a way around the problem, some guests simply decided to lie down in any unoccupied chair. Also – if asked – while not offering a reserved chair, the hotel would move an unoccupied chair to another location so that a guest can then lie down on it. Bottomline - the poolside staff tried to accommodate, though as you can see from several other reviews, they were not perfectly successful.
While I do not believe the situation is endemic or unique to Biltmore Hotel - the hotel has a huge pool and otherwise lots of lounge chairs – I think the hotel may want to consider its options – I'm guessing the hotel does not want to say no to a guest and does not want to involve itself in a dispute over lounge chairs (especially if it places "restrictions" on their use) At the end of the day, the problem is that when the hotel is fully booked, it may wind up with a lack of space to lay poolside. Perhaps, one idea is for the hotel to make sure that when it is fully booked that it provides complimentary entertainment, cocktails or food in other locations of the hotel to reduce the number of people seeking to lounge poolside during busy periods. My guest and I managed to find spots each day to lay poolside - however, I can understand how frustrating a stay it could have been had we not.
All in all, another great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Graced with effortless beauty and sophistication, The Biltmore Hotel is a national historic landmark located in the exclusive Coral Gables area with close proximity to Miami Beach and downtown Miami. The 273-room resort resembles classic Italian, Moorish, and Spanish architectural influences spread over 150-acres of tropical landscape. A favorite of world leaders and celebrities since its opening in 1926, the hotel offers a restored Donald Ross 18-hole, 71 par championship golf course, tennis courts, the largest hotel pool on the East Coast of the United States with private cabanas, a European spa, and an award-winning fitness center. The hotel's dining destinations include the award winning Palme d'Or, recognized by Zagat as one of the best restaurants in the country; Fontana, a traditional Italian restaurant surrounding The Biltmore courtyard and fountain; the poolside Cascade and the 19th Hole Golf restaurant. The hotel also recently unveiled its culinary academy offering an array of hands-on cooking classes for adults and children. The Biltmore is one of South Florida's preferred sites for leisure and business travel, high-level corporate briefings, public policy conferences, and an extraordinary wedding destination. The Biltmore is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LHW, Booking.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your The Biltmore Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Biltmore Hotel Coral Gables
- Biltmore Coral Gables