“Another Great Stay ...” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Manhattan, New York
“Another Great Stay ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I returned to the Biltmore Hotel two weeks ago, for a long weekend stay. I've written a prior review that generally lauds this resort hotel (probably can be found by clicking on my profile link). For now, a couple of additional comments:

- Fontana restaurant in the hotel's courtyard has an excellent breakfast buffet.

- on the main street of Coral Gables (about 2 miles away), we found Seasons 52 very good for one lunch; also, a short day/evening trip to the Florida Key "Islamorada" brought us to a another great restaurant - Marker 88 - that, if in that vicinity or up for the hour drive, has great food, music and exceptional sunset views - highly recommended!

- One major problem - this time at the hotel, there was a university graduation, and the poolside lounge chairs were mostly "reserved" by hotel guests, who first thing in the morning would place items on the lounge chairs so that they can lie on them later in the day. There were just not enough chairs AND the hotel policy is not to offer a chair that appears to be "reserved."

As a way around the problem, some guests simply decided to lie down in any unoccupied chair. Also – if asked – while not offering a reserved chair, the hotel would move an unoccupied chair to another location so that a guest can then lie down on it. Bottomline - the poolside staff tried to accommodate, though as you can see from several other reviews, they were not perfectly successful.

While I do not believe the situation is endemic or unique to Biltmore Hotel - the hotel has a huge pool and otherwise lots of lounge chairs – I think the hotel may want to consider its options – I'm guessing the hotel does not want to say no to a guest and does not want to involve itself in a dispute over lounge chairs (especially if it places "restrictions" on their use) At the end of the day, the problem is that when the hotel is fully booked, it may wind up with a lack of space to lay poolside. Perhaps, one idea is for the hotel to make sure that when it is fully booked that it provides complimentary entertainment, cocktails or food in other locations of the hotel to reduce the number of people seeking to lounge poolside during busy periods. My guest and I managed to find spots each day to lay poolside - however, I can understand how frustrating a stay it could have been had we not.

All in all, another great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at The Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for again posting your positive comments about your stay at The Biltmore, as well as your suggestions for our pool deck seating situation. As mentioned in previous posting responses, we have pool lounge chairs on order that will provide additional seating, and we will be addressing our pool access policy. We look forward to welcoming you on your future return visits to The Biltmore.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at Biltmore for one night only as I was waiting for a house rental that was not available for that night.

Cons:
- the hotel rooms are really outdated and require renovation
- pricey for the quality offered
- extremely thick towels, almost a few centimeters of thickness, it may be a pro for British tourists, though...

Pros:
- pool
- quite neighborhood
- nice, historic building

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We are very appreciative of this feedback and regret that the property failed to completely meet your expectations. The property is presently addressing a handful of lower category rooms that are scheduled for enhancement in the upcoming weeks.
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

wonderful building , excellent location ; front desk, concierge and other administrative staff however need to improve; restaurant palme d'or is certainly not worth the price both in terms of service and food. Waiters at breakfast deserve praise.

Room Tip: I prefer city view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at The Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We appreciate the positive comments that you made about the property, and at the same time, we made Front Office management aware of your comments on the front office staff, so that appropriate measures could be taken to resolve the issues there. We were surprised to see the comments regarding cuisine quality in the Palme d'Or, as the restaurant has received top Zagat ratings in South Florida for six years running.
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

After staying at The Phoenician the previous weekend, we were excited to see what all the hype was about the Biltmore seeing they are comparable resorts. The Biltmore is obviously gliding along on its historic laurels.

Check -in: After waiting in a line 10 deep (front desk had 2 people), we checked in at 12 noon not expecting to receive a room since check in is 3pm and alas didn't receive one. Okay no problem. Off to the pool (see next paragraph). Went back after 3pm and waited in another line -- this time 15 deep (yes, I counted). Front desk had 1 person working. Ummm, what??? 25 minutes to get a key -- no kidding. FYI, Phoenician had 5 people working the desk during busy hours.

Pool: Yes, pool is huge. Lounging area is small and has inadequate number of chairs, although many more could be accommodated. Hey Biltmore, take a lesson from The Phoenician and have extra loungers/chairs stacked in out of the way areas and pull out as needed. Also, enforce a 1 or 2 hour rule for idle loungers. We sat next to one gentleman who was reserving 7 loungers of which 5 remained unused for the entire 4 hours we were at the pool. The Phoenician discreetly deters this behavior by taking whatever detritus you have saving your chairs after a couple of hours unused and stacks it near where you sitting, thus freeing up loungers for other guests. This system always leaves loungers available, even for those greedy entitled few. I witnessed firsthand the Biltmore's "run on chairs" beginning at 7:30am from our pool view room. By 8:30am ALL loungers are spoken for -- seriously ALL. The pool is well staffed and will offer to put a towel down on the concrete for your "comfort". So if sitting on a towel on concrete while sipping your $17 Pina Colada appeals to you, then the Biltmore is for you.

Bell service: Or lack of? Waited hours for one bag to show up at our room. Even though we had a claim check they couldn't "find it" for hours. Upon check-out we called down and asked for our bags to be brought down. The answer was "right away". Waited for 30 minutes for the no-show bellman. Decided to schlep our bags ourselves. As we stepped out of the elevators into the hotel lobby with bags in tow, we were swarmed by 3 bellmen offering to help us with our bags. Um...hello? What have they been doing for the last half hour?

Saving Grace: The one saving grace in our stay was room service. We ordered a late night dessert and it was delivered as promised, elegantly presented, and the best Creme Brulee we have ever tasted. For this reason only I give the Biltmore the third star.

Hard to come to Miami and NOT stay at The BIltmore at least once, but do yourself a favor and book one night there and the rest of your stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Biltmore. We regret that the experience did not completely meet your expectations. With regards to the comments you expressed about the pool seating, please know that we have additional pool lounge chairs on order that will provide additional seating, and that we will be addressing our pool access policy. We would like to encourage you to stay with us again the next time you are in Miami, and allow us the opportunity to demonstrate our true colors.
Nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I arrived in Miami this morning from New York thrilled to be out of the rainy, cold weather. After leaving on a seven o'clock flight, all I could think about was taking a nap next to the beautiful Biltmore pool that I had read about in numerous magazines. Imagine my dismay when I walked outside to find that ever single chair, lounge, inch of space around the pool was occupied. I spent three hours on a towel on the concrete in a tiny space between the bathroom and kitchen in a desperate attempt to get a little sun while waiting for the hotel to finish cleaning my room. The other patrons of the hotel were furious-I heard at least three people call concierge to complain about the lack of seating, lack of service, lack of anything remotely pleasant about the famous pool experience. Towels were left on chairs, food was left to sit in the sun and the pool was packed with drunk patrons. When I called to ask if my room was ready at 3pm as instructed, I was put on hold for 26 minutes. Every time I have tried to call concierge/front desk/housekeeping, I have been put on hold for at least five minutes. When they finally answer they are usually curt and unhelpful. The room is nice but you can hear every door in the hall opening and closing loudly. I travel roughly every other week for my job and spend a large part of my life in hotels and this place is TERRIBLE. I just got back to my room after a loong work event and just tried to call room service. phone rang for five minutes with no answer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Please accept our sincere apologies for the less than favorable experience you had during your recent stay with us. I assure you that this matter is of grave concern, as we take great pride in our commitment to guest satisfaction. We did experience unusual activity during the time you were here, which negatively impacted the environment. The pool area in particular was over populated which resulted in a less than desired setting. We have additional pool lounge chairs on order that will soon provide the pool area with additional seating, and we’ll have strict control of the pool access as well.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Long before South Beach was saved from the wrecking ball and went from cheap to chic, the Biltmore was and still is a genteel, calm respite away from the heavily trafficked streets of Miami Beach. The Biltmore is not on the beach, and that's part of its old world charm. Set on beautiful grounds in Coral Gables, the resort is a combination of old world lux hotel and country club. The lobby revisits an era that could easily be the setting for a Fitzgerald or Hemingway novel. The grounds are beautiful and the pool is legendary. There's tennis and golf, and the fitness center is the best I've ever seen in a hotel. The rooms are ok, nothing spectacular, but we didn't stay in a suite which may be nicer; however, the whole experience of the Biltmore makes up for any shortcomings of a standard room because the experience is anything but standard.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the golf course - better view - and try to upgrade to a better room that the s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at The Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
The Biltmore is a designated National Historic Landmark property known for its rustic Mediterranean charm, which is usually warmly embraced by our guests. We’re delighted your stay with us was enjoyable.
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I got a conference held at this resort, so I stayed here for two nights. Service level is excellent, pool is gorgeous, and buildings are historical and well maintained. I enjoyed the town car service provided by the resort, so I got a chance to visit Village of Merrick Park (high end shopping plaza). The town car service is complimentary and within downtown range. I also enjoyed the morning jog around the area.

Room Tip: My room is facing downtown area, it's very beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, The Biltmore staff continuously strives to exceed our guests’ needs and expectations. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to The Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!