“][Relive Florida's Fabulous Era!” 5 of 5 stars

20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersGold level
Bucks County, PA
“][Relive Florida's Fabulous Era!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Five days / four nights in this Coral Gables Castle past like a dream! Rebuilt and renovated, The Biltmore evokes the era of Dusenburgs and Auburns in the drive, when now Audis, BMWs, Lexis and Caddys check in.

We had a suite, clean, comfortable, cool; accessed by stair only off the main lobby in the wing of the hotel. Regular rooms are located in the tower of the hotel. The motif is tile and plaster in earth tones in what we now think of as "florida style". The Biltmore Hotel and Country Club was built in 1925-26. Good taste remains good style.

There are bird cages in the lobby. Breakfast can be made in the outside fountain court. Gardens surround court yards, the pools, meeting rooms and other ground floor areas. Of course, where flora meets ground floors there are interesting fauna (animals) scampering about. This is Florida, you ninny's!

We had several excellent meals at the hotel, as well as dining off-site. Locals spoke of the popularity of Sunday Brunch, with lines outside the dinning room proving the endorsement. Check their website for events. We did not try their top restaurant, the Palm d'Or.

The Biltmore is located in Coral Gables, amid the Country Club for Golf, and a short drive from South Beach and Key Biscayne. If the beach is not your thing, and luxury, golf and spa are, the Biltmore is the place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for this positive feedback. Our staff and management at The Biltmore always appreciate hearing from our guests. We’re delighted you and your family enjoyed the hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We just spent four days at this beautiful resort. It was difficult to find and our GPS wasn't a help.
The hotel and grounds are lovely. I spent a lot of time taking hundreds of pictures and then lost my camera on the property, never to be found. So, I only have my memory to recall the beauty of the place. The food was delicious, at two lunches at the pool and at a cocktail party for our group that was meeting there. The L-shaped pool is huge, with a restaurant, lots of lounges, and Grecian statues. There is also an area with private cabanas. My recommendations, which I shared with one of the managers before leaving were 1. put a night light in the bathrooms, 2. put a board under the soft beds, which they did after having a miserable night's sleep on a bed that severely dipped in the middle, 3. fix the furnace, which came on and off with a loud bang in our room 710. They did try to fix it and it helped, but was still loud, and 4. Put coffee makers in the rooms or make it available somewhere else on the premises. It is not available before 7AM, at which time it may be purchased on the lower level. My husband had early meetings and no where to get coffee on a Saturday morning! When I shared my suggestions with the manager, he offered to take a percentage off my last night's room. I told him that that was not my reason for giving him my suggestions and refused the discount. I use trip advisor for all my travels and hope that travelers will share their complaints with those that can make positive adjustments.

Room Tip: At this time, I would avoid room 710 for its bed and loud furnace or fan, but nice view from high f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Biltmore. As one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to exceed the needs and expectations of our valued guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We regret that your experience did not completely meet your expectations, and rest assured that we hope to implement or improve upon several of your suggestions in the near future.
Tucson Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I truly appreciate the work it takes to keep a building of this age in good repair, and I love the attention to guests the staff showed from check-in to bell desk. Our room was comfortable and updated. We stayed at the hotel for conference and the meeting/ballrooms were in bad shape. Some of the draperies were full of tears as was the carpeting. The ballroom opened out to a garden area and during one of the meals the wait staff had left the doors open. I watched a mouse come in and out a few times, the last time it came in but didn't leave. I am admittedly a bit of a princess when it comes to sharing my space with rodents, so it did ruin the rest of my meal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Biltmore. As one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to exceed the needs and expectations of our guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We regret that your experience did not completely meet your expectations. We made Banquet Management aware of your comments on the banquet meal and appropriate measures were taken to avoid such occurrences in the future.
Jean Alspaugh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

What a lovely hotel! Renovated beautifully. Our room was clean and spacious. The staff, from the front desk, valet, waiters/waitresses, bartenders, to the bell desk... were all incredible. Not to mention the food! Would definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
As a world-class luxury destination resort, the Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding and it is undoubtedly beautiful. The grounds, the pool, the views are amazing. The bed and pillows were probably the most amazing. We had a great couple of nights sleep.

However, for a hotel of this prestige, we were disappointed, especially at their check in. We called to get early check in and they said they couldn't guarantee it but they would make a note in our account. We got there two hours before check in, and they didn't have a room. However, the person who checked in a minute after us, got his room right away. His room was the same as the one we had reserved, and we know this because he was also with the wedding party. Regardless, at 3pm, the time of check in, we still didn't have a room and were told they didn't know when they would have one. This is absolutely unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber. At 3.30, I was told they still didn't have a room for us, so I started to make a scene. Would you know that seconds later, a room was magically available? We have stayed at a lot of hotels with much less prestige that have treated us a lot better. We got no upgrade or anything on the house for our frustration. Again from the biltmore we certainly expected more and most likely wont be back.

• Stayed March 2013
Here at the Biltmore, we welcome constructive feedback from all of our guests as an integral part of monitoring services and product throughout the resort. It’s our desire to ensure every guest experience is both exceptional and memorable. To that end, we encourage you to contact the Managing Director’s office directly, so we may address this issue thoroughly with you.
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Biltmore for a three days. It is one of the most breathtaking hotels I've ever seen. The staff was really amazing- they were always happy to help and went above and beyond. The room was immaculate and I've never stayed in a hotel with so many towels!! The housekeeping staff really paid attention to detail. There is also a complimentary car that will take you around the area and pick you up, which was great! The food is a bit overpriced, but that is our only negative comment. We will be saving our pennies so we can visit again. Great experince!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this feedback. Our staff and management at Biltmore always appreciate hearing from our guests. We’re delighted you and your family enjoyed the hospitality.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for a 3 day/4night conference and pleasure trip. The hotel is a 1926 landmark with stunning grounds and well-appointed rooms, but we found the service lacking for a property of this caliber. Our room was a junior suite with a nice seating area, small balcony and well appointed bathroom with all the extras. However, the mini bar was extremely expensive, charging $8 for a bottle of water, which did not include “tax and gratuities”! Most luxury hotels I have frequented would have included two bottles of water as a courtesy, moreover, the hotel charges a $20 per day resort fee, which includes services such as a daily newspaper and gratuities! Charging an additional gratuity for the mini bar is just piling on in my opinion, not to mention the ridiculously high prices to begin with. Needless to say, we did not use anything from the mini bar (which is something I’ll come to later).

Having two drinks at the poolside bar was a treat until I got the bill for $16 per drink plus and automatic 18% service charge, AND another $9.18 added as “misc. tip.” When I questioned about the misc. tip the bartender said the computer added it automatically, but he did promptly remove it!

We ate at the hotel’s Italian restaurant, Fontana. The ambiance was excellent, sitting outside in the hotel courtyard area; however, my meal was extremely salty and overcooked and the service was very slow. I had to send it back and it was removed from the bill. Two other parties sitting near us also sent back one of their entrees and complained about the service. On the other hand, we did use the hotel’s spa services, which were one of the best I have experienced.
Some other issues included housekeeping not cleaning the room the first day (I had to call to have that done), and when we checked out their computer system was down and they had to send me the invoice via email, which included, to my dismay, a $28.43 mini bar charge! I contacted the hotel and explained to them that I did not use anything from the mini bar. They did remove it from my credit card charge.

Overall, it was a disappointing experience, as my expectations were much higher.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are very appreciative of this feedback and regret that our service failed to meet your expectations in a variety of ways. The Biltmore prides itself on an outstanding service culture worthy of its luxury status. We have dealt with the particular personnel involved and are confident that the issues have been effectively resolved. While we cannot discern your identity solely by your email name, we would welcome an opportunity to address this situation with you directly.

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!