“Classic” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
jersey city nj
“Classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Biltmore recently. This is a really interesting historic hotel and for the most part has held up well. But it is showing aging issues. If it wasn't a Leading Hotel of the World I would forgive the minor issues--
The Staff --really wonderful staff. Everyone we encountered were helpful and accomodating. Loved hearing a real voice for my wakeup call and not a computer.
The food- for the most part very very good. Fontana was solid the times we ate there..they were able to make their bolognese with a gluten free pasta which was really nice (although unfortunately undercooked but still delicious!). The food by the pool..not what I expected. Good but not great. Not worth the price tag. Eggs Benedict with truffle hollandaise at the Fontana tho...Just what I expected. I hope I didn't embarrass myself by licking the plate....
The room--very comfortable. Bed perfect. Shower good pressure but shower head and controls need to be upgraded. Asked for foam pillows and got them--however the sheer curtain in room had what looked like a huge chunk of peanut butter on it. Told concierge when I checked in..he said he'd have housekeeping change it the next day. They never did. I had a small balcony off my room. I went out for fresh air and noticed so many of the tiles missing and paint chipping. No flowers...kind of just old. Loved the turndown service.
The resort--I can't speak of the pool--it looked lovely but the water was VERY cold. The gym was well equipped but i opted for a walk which they had directions for at the club--great way to see the neighborhood. Which is stunning!
Overall--wouldn't be upset if I stayed there again--clean, great service, good food and a great history. Rumor has it there are ghosts...I guess they liked their stay there too!

Room Tip: I stayed in a room high up facing front of hotel. Doves and birds have nested above on roof. I use...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
As one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to exceed the needs and expectations of our guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate the time you took to comment in detail about your stay with us, and regret that your experience did not completely meet your expectations with regards to the housekeeping issues. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address this issue to prevent any future occurrences. Regarding your comments about the balcony, we are in the process of updating all the balconies, and we can assure you that you will see a big difference in our appearance upon your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love this hotel and it's a great change of pace from the craziness of downtown or South Beach.
This is a historical property and it's fun to just walk around and explore the hotel. Walk over to the ballrooms as well because they are beautiful. The lobby is gorgeous with the painted ceiling and the live birds in cages. Early in the morning and late at night you can see them curled up in their nests.

Sitting in the bar around the pool is a great treat and they make a fabulous mojito. Don't miss it.

The rooms are a bit small but very charming.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, Managing Director at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
The Biltmore is a designated National Historic Landmark property known for its rustic Mediterranean charm, which is usually warmly embraced by our guests. We’re delighted your stay with us was enjoyable.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were there for a 2-day conference and had a very pleasant stay. We found helpful service with a smile, very good restaurants and food was great, well appointed fitness center with steam/sauna rooms, excellent golf, pool and conveniently located in charming Coral Gables which is just minutes from Miami International airport. Room was somewhat small but clean and reasonably updated with sitting area, two TVs and fast wireless internet connection. Great view of the golf course. Things went smooth. Had no problems that needed resolution. Have nothing to rant about. It is an upscale property so 4-stars are deserved.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We are very appreciative of your comments and look forward to welcoming you on your future return visits to the Biltmore.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Unfortunately our stay at the Biltmore in Coral Gables was very disappointing. While there were various little things that went wrong the biggest drawback was how we felt 'nickled and dimed'. At the price of these rooms they should be providing more than a pretty bed -- none of the little things that go with a luxury hotel were there. Simple example: there are no coffee makers in the room and free coffee was only available until 7am (not to mention at 7:05 everything is put away as if it never happened). It was our son's birthday and not one effort was made to recognize it; but, if you listen to the hotel's on-hold recording 'they love kids'. Well, we did not receive one kid accommodation and the hotel boasts of fresh-baked cookies at night, kids robes, etc. And the icing on the cake was that we did not know until our last day that there was a kids menu for breakfast and all the while they were charging us for adult breakfasts. We were looking for a luxurious family stay and unfortunately this was not it.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room above the banquet room. During our stay there was a wedding that kept us up a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Biltmore. As one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to exceed your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We regret that your experience did not completely meet your expectations. Regarding the children's amenities, please rest assured that we are investigating this issue internally in order to take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Really a very friendly environment in a historic hotel. Very good to consider if you want a hotel with golf away from the beaches. Good food in nice venues one thing I would point out: many historic hotels in the South have recently upgraded their guest rooms. The Biltmore has not kept pace on this issue. The night views from the upper floors of the nearby towns are very nice . The facility is most convenient to the Miami airport

Room Tip: The suites on the top level are quite roomy but the furnishings need some new fabric. Also no tub in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Here at the Biltmore, we welcome constructive feedback from all of our guests as an integral part of monitoring services and product throughout the resort. It’s our desire to ensure every guest experience is both exceptional and memorable. Regarding your comment about upgrading our rooms, please know that we are constantly reviewing our room product with regards to furniture and amenities. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us.
MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Given that this hotel seems to be run as efficiently as a Soviet organization, it is amusing that it is on a street named for a Romanov.

I made a reservation on 12/6/12 in anticipation of attending a conference the weekend of 3/15/13. Deciding that attending the conference was impractical, I cancelled the reservation on 1/8/13. I recall requesting, but not receiving, an email confirmation of the cancellation.

On logging onto my computer at 6:30 a.m. EDT on 3/12/13, I found an email that was stamped 3/12/13 1:25 a.m. that was titled "We Look Forward to Your Arrival."

This email, which was sent in the middle of the night on 1/12/13, also stated that I would need to cancel by 1/11/13 if I wanted to avoid being charged for one night.

I immediately called the reservations line, which the Biltmore asserted was staffed 24/7, but no one answered. I then called the main number and Shirelle (?) told me that they send out those letters regardless of whether a reservation has been cancelled.

I also learned later that the overnight switchboard operator was the only one working reservations overnight. Apparently, they do not ever pick up calls regarding existing reservations during that period.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to send the letters if a reservation is cancelled; they also CLEARLY verify that the reservation is still active and that the hotel will bill for the first night DESPITE THE CANCELLATION.

The call got disconnected when I asked for the manager on duty. I finally got through to Victor, who I later learned was merely the security officer on duty and was not even a security manager.

Victor told me both that he could not access the reservations system and that no one was in the reservations office until 9:00 a.m. but that he would ensure that I was not charged for the room.

Victor also agreed to send me an email verifying our conversation. I called back on not receiving one and learned that he had left for the day.

Several subsequent efforts to reach a "real" manager failed.

It turned out that Victor's fellow security officer Albert was appointed manager of the day at 7:00 a.m. All that Albert could do was take a message for a manager who would arrive at an unspecified time and get back to me at some point.

Subsequent efforts to reach a manager failed. The front desk staff told me that the manager was not in (and did not seem to know when he was due.

I have worked, and stayed, at several comparable level hotels. (Even a Marriott handled a recent cancellation far better and got me a manager easily regarding an unrelated matter.) There is no excuse for this experience.

I hate to think about what it would have taken to get a minor matter resolved if I had stayed at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for contacting The Biltmore personally. We appreciated the opportunity to speak with you by phone to clarify that this was a simple miscommunication resulting from a computer glitch on our end, and that there was no charge to you in any way whatsover, as your reservation had been cancelled for over a month.
Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We checked in Friday the first of March and checked out on the following Monday. Had book a suite for the family and had in the booking expressed our needs for a quite room since our kids easily wake up and we would have had a long journey before getting to Coral Gables.
The good stuff:
- We met friendly and service minded staff everywhere (se notes on front desk below).
- We have very high demands on food and I think they delivered. Considering the price, not more than delivered but that's quite OK. Breakfast is nice, good pastries, alot of fresh fruit and berries and other high end details. Coffee and chocolate is not up to standard and the understanding of our comments/requests were none.
- Dinner in Fontana was friendly and quite nice. A few mistakes were made but still, would recommend it.
- Dinner in Palme d'Or was good. Service was excellent and the food was of a good French standard. Which is great for being in Florida and good for being in France.
- Tennis and golf was great!
- The hotel building fits the neighbourhood very nicely, classy and 'old world' as the americans call it.
The bad stuff:
- We got suite 115 and requested for a change at once since we realised that it was going to be too noisy with the parties going on nearby. Was told we couln't get one that day but likely for the following days. We couldn't sleep for more than a few hours between 2am and 4.30. The room is so loud, drunk guests at the party/parties were outside our windows until around 2am. People leaving the hotel with their suitecases wakes you up (115 should be avoided). There is a constant noise ín the room, you can hear it from the outside at ground level if you stand outside the room. At 4.30 some kind of loud noise from below the room starts, didn't find out what it was but let's describe it as a huge dish washer. That stopped 6.30 which was really nice but at that time our kids wouldn't go back to sleep.
- We moved up to 5th floor and it was much better, but the hotel has some problem with noise since the rooms aren't well sound isolated. And this comes from a writer you usually have to shout at in order to wake up. Heard another guest complain on the same topic when checking out.
- Had a family fun package and it wasn't delivered with high precision. Would never have complained about it if it wasn't for the major issues. Then you pay attention to the small ones... The kids should have received fruit punch. They didn't. Milk and cookies didn't show up one night. For the other night's they were delivered for one child, not two. No biggies but one expects more.
- Front desk is so easily flooded. One or two staff is in place and the lines easily get's long. Brook does a great job but they have some new staff there, sometimes on their own and the result follows. Our check out was so long and we had to pay attention to alot of detals on the bill that were supposed to have been included in our package.

I obviously talked to the manager on duty who got us the suite on the 5th floor (not an upgrade though) and removed 50% of the first night. I was too tired during that discussion, it still ment that I paid some 280$ for a terrible, terrible night sleep.

Room Tip: Suite 115 is way to noisy, most likely the rooms nearby as well. Do what you can to get a higher fl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review of your stay at The Biltmore. We appreciated the positive comments and are internally reviewing the situation regarding your room charge and the children's amenties, as these incidents are not reflective of the normal standards or service culture that our staff is trained to offer at the Biltmore. When we have more information, we will communicate directly with you, as we welcome the opportunity to personally address these issues with you.

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!