“Charming Opulence” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Stuart, Florida
“Charming Opulence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Had a 1 night stay as a surprise getaway for a friend's 50th birthday. The hotel is fabulous! Junior Suite has more room than you could imagine-2 queen beds extremely comnfortable. We were entertained with "Burn Notice" being filmed on location-and although they took lots of room-we never felt put out by it. Had the pleasure of some spa services at the luxurious spa in the hotel-worth the trip. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Basque Country
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed there for one night in June. The hotel is an icon in Coral Gables and arriving there one can easily see why: the building is imposing and stunning both inside and outside, as if I'm not mistaken it was conceived and designed by the same architects that developed the Sherry Netherland, the Waldorf and the Pierre in NYC.

The swimming pool, as you might expect, is an attraction itself and it has a Scott Fitzgerald kind of charm to it, you can imagine yourself sipping the odd cocktail during the pre-Depression years. Again, stunning.

However, the features described above can almost lead you to forget what the building is, i.e. a hotel. And I'm afraid it has to score lower in that department: staff is very nice, but the whole registration process was a bit confusing. And then the rooms, while adequate, definitely need a renovation: old TV, worn-out bathroom with dirty shower curtain and head shower that's nearly falling apart, noisy air-con device, etc. The hotel definitely needs some revamping if it doesn't want to become a living ghost and a tribute to the good old days.

A decent stay overall, but not worthy of unconditional praise.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

While the Hotel has some beautiful features, It is somewhat outdated. The rooms are small and very "80's". Definitely time to renovate.

Breakfast in the garden was nice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for a family wedding that took place off the premises. We have 2 children under the age of 4 so I was a bit nervous how we would be received. When I made my reservation in November, the woman I spoke to was rude. The hotel charges the guests $35/night for a rollaway bed even though some of the websites differ with their information. When I called back to speak to another person, they apologized for their rude colleague and waived my bed fee. The staff was friendly, helpful and gracious throughout the hotel. We needed an early check in but the hotel was booked. They took my phone number and called us as soon as our room became available. Since it is not the most child friendly hotel there weren't any pool toys readily available. The pool staff made the effort and located a pool noodle for my boys so they could swim. As with any resort, the food/drinks are expensive...Bellini $17 and a PB&J sandwich is $9. If you stay at a Biltmore, I would think that you would expect that (not my "frugal" father, mind you). Anyway, it was a great place to stay and I would stay there again...maybe without my kids! :o)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at The Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Biltmore Management is very appreciative of our guests' feedback. In regards to the comment about the need to offer children friendly activities, the Biltmore already has extensive golf, tennis and culinary programs in place aimed exclusively for children. We currently are reviewing options for appropriate poolside children amenities that may be available for our guests.
Hartland, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised by The Biltmore. In an area where everything is new, glitzy, hectic -- the Biltmore is burnished, refined, and calm.

Our "junior" suite on the 3rd floor was the size of a suite at most other hotels, complete with a walk-out balcony with a great view of the pool. (The balcony hadn't been cleaned in some time -- cigarette butts, etc, -- but the maid got-the-message when we left the door open, and the next day it was swept clean.) The room was very comfortable.

We were able to rent a poolside cabana for a day -- a bargain at just over $100. Our own little garden and little porch, with access to room service. I found the so-called "butler" service in the cabana a bit pushy (she walked right in front of me when I was taking a picture, and came breezing in at times that suited her), but the food was delicious and it was great to walk down our private garden path and be right at the edge of the large pool.

One night we got to the restaurant at the golf course when it had just closed. No problem: they happily stayed on to cook us two delicious mahimahi burgers. How many hotels or restaurants would do that?

We found the breakfast in the Fountain Court disappointing. It's a lovely setting -- except for huge air conditioning fans in the corners -- but the service is awful. We received water from dirty pitchers (cloudy and with filaments floating in the water), had a dirty coffee cup another morning when we sat down, and had to ask so many times for a cereal spoon that I ate my breakfast with a small tea spoon. We mentioned this to the Fountain manager (who had an upside-down name tag) but he seemed to either not really understand or care -- or both.

We used the private Zen Suite in the spa and Her Ladyship and I both had pedicures and manicures, for the heck of it. The Zen Suite was ideally suited, I think, for a four person "hen party." The spa personnel were excellent, and I'm very pleased with my shiny fingernails.

This is a gorgeous hotel, with (generally) excellent service and food. And a fantastic swimming pool in the middle of it all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at The Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Biltmore Management welcomes constructive and timely feedback from all our valued guests as a means of monitoring our level of services and product quality to assure they are consistent with a world-class luxury resort. Restaurant Management has been made aware of this guest’s comments on the breakfast service and appropriate measures taken to avoid such occurrences in the future.
Benton, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

My family & I stayed there a couple of days in Spring 2010 after staying a few days in South Beach. We found the staff to be friendly & responsive and the room was clean.
The room was small but adequate for the 4 of us and the bathroom was very nice & had been updated. A flat screen TV would have been nice but as is usually the case for us we don't watch that much TV on vacation. The elevators were functional and okay and there are going to be limitations regarding some of these conveniences as you would expect in a historic hotel.

I enjoyed seeing the many photos in the common areas of times past and reading about the hotel's rich history. The architecture, grounds, and pool were stunning and this historic landmark is a must see whether you stay as a guest or not. It is in a very nice area of Coral Gables residences and it nicely completed our stay in the Miami area. Overall a positive experience and we do recommend.

• Stayed June 2010
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Thanks to a fantastic corporate rate, I stayed here on business. Overall, I enjoyed my stay -- the hotel has a fascinating history, and its been restored with that history in mind. If you like that kind of hotel, you'll like the Biltmore.

Service during the stay was excellent. The valet was welcoming. Questions were answered by all staff happily. As a colleague and I searched for a place to dine, a restaurant server in a bar gladly allowed us to use the menu from the casual bar in an otherwise-unoccupied outdoor space and, to his credit, didn't leave us to languish outside -- he was very attentive. Service at breakfast was speedy and friendly. The only service glitch was at check-in, where the staff member seemed to be in training and thus very unsure of herself and the hotel's policies -- she was, though, very nice and did see to it that my questions were answered even as she had to double-check a couple of the answers. I accidentally left a laptop charger at the hotel, and when I returned later in the day to retrieve it, everyone was very helpful (and it was found). So, overall, the service was impressive!

I get the sense that the rooms are variable in size, etc., as they often are at historic properties like these. I have no complaints about my room, however -- it was very large, with a small sitting area and a larger bedroom. The bathroom was elegant with very nice products. The bed was soft with nice linens. A couple of the room elements were rough-around-the-edges -- peeling paint on the window, broken handles on the window, a torn window shade -- but everything was clean. The desk area was a bit awkward, and there were not many plugs, but that's not unexpected in an historic property. The hotel was VERY quiet.

The hotel's grounds are very nice. The pool is very large, although it wasn't quite as elegant as I anticipated it might be based on the descriptions. The fitness center is large, although it closes in the evening (I prefer 24-hour fitness centers). It is also an athletic club used by members of the community, so it's busy with clients, trainers, etc.

The only part of the hotel I didn't love were the dining options. There were multiple restaurants, but my colleagues and I did not want a fancy, expensive dinner. We were referred to the golf course's restaurant by a few staff members, but found it depressing -- complete lack of atmosphere. We finally settled on a bar that had a lighter menu and, thanks to the above-mentioned staff member, were able to sit outside instead of the bar itself (thankfully, as its decor was that of an olde-world smoking lounge). The food was pretty average. The hotel redeemed itself with breakfast, however -- the buffet had fantastic options and was displayed beautifully.

Overall, this was a very nice stay. I think the thing Miami visitors should keep in mind is that this hotel doesn't offer what many might expect to the be the "typical" Miami experience -- while lovely, the hotel does not have the full-of-life, multicultural, beach-focused vibe that many other hotels in Miami (especially those along South Beach) cultivate. Its vibe (and neighborhood, and clientele) are much more the country-club set. That was fine for a quick business trip, but if I were going for the quintessential Miami weekend, I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
#6 of 11 in Coral Gables
4.0 of 5 stars 355 reviews
Coconut Grove
Hampton Inn Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to The Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!