“Pleasant Stay & Do Recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersGold level
Benton, Arkansas
“Pleasant Stay & Do Recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011 via mobile

My family & I stayed there a couple of days in Spring 2010 after staying a few days in South Beach. We found the staff to be friendly & responsive and the room was clean.
The room was small but adequate for the 4 of us and the bathroom was very nice & had been updated. A flat screen TV would have been nice but as is usually the case for us we don't watch that much TV on vacation. The elevators were functional and okay and there are going to be limitations regarding some of these conveniences as you would expect in a historic hotel.

I enjoyed seeing the many photos in the common areas of times past and reading about the hotel's rich history. The architecture, grounds, and pool were stunning and this historic landmark is a must see whether you stay as a guest or not. It is in a very nice area of Coral Gables residences and it nicely completed our stay in the Miami area. Overall a positive experience and we do recommend.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Thanks to a fantastic corporate rate, I stayed here on business. Overall, I enjoyed my stay -- the hotel has a fascinating history, and its been restored with that history in mind. If you like that kind of hotel, you'll like the Biltmore.

Service during the stay was excellent. The valet was welcoming. Questions were answered by all staff happily. As a colleague and I searched for a place to dine, a restaurant server in a bar gladly allowed us to use the menu from the casual bar in an otherwise-unoccupied outdoor space and, to his credit, didn't leave us to languish outside -- he was very attentive. Service at breakfast was speedy and friendly. The only service glitch was at check-in, where the staff member seemed to be in training and thus very unsure of herself and the hotel's policies -- she was, though, very nice and did see to it that my questions were answered even as she had to double-check a couple of the answers. I accidentally left a laptop charger at the hotel, and when I returned later in the day to retrieve it, everyone was very helpful (and it was found). So, overall, the service was impressive!

I get the sense that the rooms are variable in size, etc., as they often are at historic properties like these. I have no complaints about my room, however -- it was very large, with a small sitting area and a larger bedroom. The bathroom was elegant with very nice products. The bed was soft with nice linens. A couple of the room elements were rough-around-the-edges -- peeling paint on the window, broken handles on the window, a torn window shade -- but everything was clean. The desk area was a bit awkward, and there were not many plugs, but that's not unexpected in an historic property. The hotel was VERY quiet.

The hotel's grounds are very nice. The pool is very large, although it wasn't quite as elegant as I anticipated it might be based on the descriptions. The fitness center is large, although it closes in the evening (I prefer 24-hour fitness centers). It is also an athletic club used by members of the community, so it's busy with clients, trainers, etc.

The only part of the hotel I didn't love were the dining options. There were multiple restaurants, but my colleagues and I did not want a fancy, expensive dinner. We were referred to the golf course's restaurant by a few staff members, but found it depressing -- complete lack of atmosphere. We finally settled on a bar that had a lighter menu and, thanks to the above-mentioned staff member, were able to sit outside instead of the bar itself (thankfully, as its decor was that of an olde-world smoking lounge). The food was pretty average. The hotel redeemed itself with breakfast, however -- the buffet had fantastic options and was displayed beautifully.

Overall, this was a very nice stay. I think the thing Miami visitors should keep in mind is that this hotel doesn't offer what many might expect to the be the "typical" Miami experience -- while lovely, the hotel does not have the full-of-life, multicultural, beach-focused vibe that many other hotels in Miami (especially those along South Beach) cultivate. Its vibe (and neighborhood, and clientele) are much more the country-club set. That was fine for a quick business trip, but if I were going for the quintessential Miami weekend, I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011 via mobile

I made Mothers Day reservations in Jan 2011. I called the day prior to Mothers Day and they claimed there were no RSVPs. The restaurant assistant manager was rude and inconsiderate. He showed no interest in helping. Poor customer service!

• Stayed May 2011
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
At Biltmore, we continuously strive to meet our guests' needs and expectations; therefore all feedback is very important to us and we are very appreciative when experiences such as these are brought to our attention. The Biltmore Sunday Champagne Brunch is recognized as one of the best in the country, known for the food quality, its presentation and stellar level of service.
Restaurant Management has been made aware of these concerns and the appropriate measures taken to avoid such occurrences in the future.
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this great hotel for 5 days. We Loved the hotel. It is quiet, comfortable, and felt like home. The pool is magnificent, the health club is fantastic. The bed was soft and really comfortable. The best was the service, from the cleaning staff to the front desk, they all were very gracious and accomodating. The food was great. There is a free limo service to downtown Coral Gables. The cab ride to the airport was only $20. Our grandchildren loved the pool. The physical plant itself (except for the grounds) is falling apart and I really hope that the owners UPGRADE the place before it deteriorates further. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: deluxe queen was fine
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

This is a resort hotel that is a destination until itself. It is not immediately adjacent to miami attractions, so the resort itself is the draw. Here are the main points I can make based upon my five night stay there - by the way, this is not my first time there. I was there at least once prior, and I will likely be back...

(a) The hotel is NOT immediately adjacent to any attractions, including the beach, etc. - it requires a significant but not burdensome drive to such attractions, like South Beach;

(b) The hotel is its own attraction - has a lot of character and style, beautiful pool area, great restaurants, tennis courts (next to the hotel - and half a mile away, at Salvadore Park where there are clay courts), golf; and a large, good, gym that is modern and well-used.

(c) There is a resort fee (I think $20/day) added to the cost of the stay. This is common practice in Miami. It is worth knowing that the hotel does not charge for parking, unlike many hotels that do - and there is ample space in the hotel's lot to park.

(d) There is no good food delivery to the hotel in the area at all, so if eating in, room service is the way to go. Eating out, close by in Coral Gables, there is Seasons 52 which is very good. There is also a Hillstone there as well.

Okay, nothing i'm about to say should stop you from going to the hotel, but I add them so that there are no surprises -

(i) the rooms are somewhat mixed. The standard rooms are not bad but not impressive. If you spend any significant time in the room, you may want a Suite. The Suites are large and have flat screen TVs.

(ii) The hotel does not seem to have HD televisions. My room had a flatscreen but that's not the same as HD. I saw two standard rooms that had the old, bulky TVs - small ones at that. If you like to watch movies in the room at night, you may really take notice...The hotel is apparently still in the process of transitioning to new TVs.

(iii) There is no business center at the hotel. Failing to have brought my laptop, I wanted to do some limited work on a computer, using a flash drive. There is a single available computer for guests within a corporate office of the hotel; and there are several computers for internet use (pre-pay) outside the lobby - none had any work space. Point is, bring your own computer...

(iv) The chairs at the pool area do not lay prefectly flat. A bit awkard to turn over because you cannot lay flat on your stomach because the chair back still angles up. Writing this now, it seems so trivial, but you'll notice when you're out by the pool catching sun....

All in all, a great hotel, had a great stay, great staff. The annoyances mentioned above are not enough to deter my very good opinion of the hotel. Instead, it leaves me only a bit perplexed why at such a great hotel, these basic seemingly remediable inconveniences exist at all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Uncasville, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

The pool staff was amazing as were the night maids.
By 5pm each day our room was not clean and we had to call for towels.
Guests fighting in hall late night and alarm sounded for 15 minutes and when management was called they did not respond quickly or explain alarm.
When I wrote a complaint nobody has responded which is poor customer service.
My prior stay was lovely not sure if management changed.
Was over charged on my bill and from desk seemed put out when I asked for it to be adjusted.
We are planning on being in area regularly for college visits and I am unsure if we will stay again after the lack of care and customer service when we did complain or ask a question. A resort like this should be all about service.
Did recommend to several friends in the past will probably not do so after receiving no response to complaint . A friend in the hotel business said we should have been comped the night that the alarm and guests were fighting.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Biltmore management welcomes constructive feedback from all of our guests as an integral part of monitoring the quality of our product and services. In regard to this commentary, the guest’s concerns were communicated to the General Manager’s office and addressed by all pertinent staff. As well, the guest was advised of our actions and received a formal response from the General Manager with resolution.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We just returned from our trip to The Biltmore, Coral Gables. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. All the staff that we encountered were helpful and friendly. I also think that it is nice that tips for bellmen, doormen etc are already included in your room fees. It's nice not to worry about having a wad of cash with you at all times.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and it was small. And I do mean itty-bitty small. You walk in the door and automatically take two steps up to get into the room. I'm sure this has something to do with the beautiful high ceilings in the downstairs lobby, but even the bellman tripped on the steps when he brought our luggage up.

The room itself was just large enough for the king size bed and a small nightstand on either side. There were two small chairs at the foot of the bed and an armoire at the other end of the room. In the armoire was the smallest television I have seen in years. It was an old television and was at the most, 20". We had planned to rent a movie that evening after dinner but decided not to after seeing the television. The screen was so small that you could barely see what was happening from the bed. The telephones are also old and could use updating.

The bathrooms were pretty, as they had been updated with new tile. However, the bathroom smelled very sour. It was clear that a new shower curtain liner had just been hung because you could still see the distinct wrinkles from it being folded in the package, but the smell was still there. Aggravating this smell, and possibly even the cause of it, was the fact that there was no ventilation in the bathroom. Not a single vent. And I assure you that in a room as small as this one, a bathroom vent is a necessity. Any odors that originate in the bathroom emanate the bedroom. My husband even went to a downstairs public restroom so as not to share his bathroom experience with me, as I was resting in the room. This is ridiculous.

We stayed on the front side of the hotel over the entrance. When we turned out our lights to go to sleep at 11pm, we realized that even though our (poorly fitting) room darkening shades were drawn, the room was as bright as the middle of a sunny day. There are spotlights on the front of the hotel that shone right in our windows. As a result, I only slept about 3 hours that night.

In summation, the hotel grounds are beautiful, as well as the pool. The service was wonderful and food was delicious. But the room was such a disappointment that we won't be staying at The Biltmore in Coral Gables again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the largest room possible!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Biltmore Management welcomes constructive and timely feedback from all our valued guests as a means of monitoring our level of services and product quality to assure they are consistent with a world-class luxury resort. In regards to this guest’s comment on the room size, the majority of our rooms are spacious and well appointed; although, as is commonly true in historically designated properties, there are a handful of rooms that are undersized. We are currently in process replacing all the televisions in the guests’ rooms, of which most rooms have been addressed, with remainder to be completed this year.

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!