“poor management” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Uncasville, Connecticut
“poor management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

The pool staff was amazing as were the night maids.
By 5pm each day our room was not clean and we had to call for towels.
Guests fighting in hall late night and alarm sounded for 15 minutes and when management was called they did not respond quickly or explain alarm.
When I wrote a complaint nobody has responded which is poor customer service.
My prior stay was lovely not sure if management changed.
Was over charged on my bill and from desk seemed put out when I asked for it to be adjusted.
We are planning on being in area regularly for college visits and I am unsure if we will stay again after the lack of care and customer service when we did complain or ask a question. A resort like this should be all about service.
Did recommend to several friends in the past will probably not do so after receiving no response to complaint . A friend in the hotel business said we should have been comped the night that the alarm and guests were fighting.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Biltmore management welcomes constructive feedback from all of our guests as an integral part of monitoring the quality of our product and services. In regard to this commentary, the guest’s concerns were communicated to the General Manager’s office and addressed by all pertinent staff. As well, the guest was advised of our actions and received a formal response from the General Manager with resolution.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We just returned from our trip to The Biltmore, Coral Gables. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. All the staff that we encountered were helpful and friendly. I also think that it is nice that tips for bellmen, doormen etc are already included in your room fees. It's nice not to worry about having a wad of cash with you at all times.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and it was small. And I do mean itty-bitty small. You walk in the door and automatically take two steps up to get into the room. I'm sure this has something to do with the beautiful high ceilings in the downstairs lobby, but even the bellman tripped on the steps when he brought our luggage up.

The room itself was just large enough for the king size bed and a small nightstand on either side. There were two small chairs at the foot of the bed and an armoire at the other end of the room. In the armoire was the smallest television I have seen in years. It was an old television and was at the most, 20". We had planned to rent a movie that evening after dinner but decided not to after seeing the television. The screen was so small that you could barely see what was happening from the bed. The telephones are also old and could use updating.

The bathrooms were pretty, as they had been updated with new tile. However, the bathroom smelled very sour. It was clear that a new shower curtain liner had just been hung because you could still see the distinct wrinkles from it being folded in the package, but the smell was still there. Aggravating this smell, and possibly even the cause of it, was the fact that there was no ventilation in the bathroom. Not a single vent. And I assure you that in a room as small as this one, a bathroom vent is a necessity. Any odors that originate in the bathroom emanate the bedroom. My husband even went to a downstairs public restroom so as not to share his bathroom experience with me, as I was resting in the room. This is ridiculous.

We stayed on the front side of the hotel over the entrance. When we turned out our lights to go to sleep at 11pm, we realized that even though our (poorly fitting) room darkening shades were drawn, the room was as bright as the middle of a sunny day. There are spotlights on the front of the hotel that shone right in our windows. As a result, I only slept about 3 hours that night.

In summation, the hotel grounds are beautiful, as well as the pool. The service was wonderful and food was delicious. But the room was such a disappointment that we won't be staying at The Biltmore in Coral Gables again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the largest room possible!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Biltmore Management welcomes constructive and timely feedback from all our valued guests as a means of monitoring our level of services and product quality to assure they are consistent with a world-class luxury resort. In regards to this guest’s comment on the room size, the majority of our rooms are spacious and well appointed; although, as is commonly true in historically designated properties, there are a handful of rooms that are undersized. We are currently in process replacing all the televisions in the guests’ rooms, of which most rooms have been addressed, with remainder to be completed this year.
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

The Biltmore is a big, historic, elegant and architecturally interesting hotel set among beautiful grounds with an immaculate golf course. There are many unique rooms, nooks and crannies to explore, courtyards aplenty, and a big pool fringed with palms and statues.

We've been to the Sunday brunch a number of times, most recently two years ago when we spent the winter in Miami. It was very good then, but it is even better this time.

Even though we were a little late (traffic congestion caused by the Sony Ericsson tennis final), we were immediately seated at our reserved table with white linen, real napkins, champagne flutes and silver utensils (which was not given away to other patrons) by the big fountain, surrounded by palms in the courtyard. It feels a bit like being in a movie, in a different time and place, although with little of the elegance of another era (I know, I know, those times of dressing up are gone, I shall not belabour this point as in some of my other reviews).

The Sunday brunch that day lasted until 4 pm (although advertised as from 10 - 2), and we took our time to savour the atmosphere and the food. The service by Mario, our waiter, and others was exemplary, with unlimited champagne and mimosa constantly offered, and dishes whisked away expediently. There were nine to ten sumptious food stations set up along the corridors surrounding the big courtyard, and a special dessert room where treats were whipped up by a chef. There was nothing missing among the food stations - we concentrated on the seafood: stone crab claws, big shrimps, oysters, smoked salmon, caviar....then worked on the sushi, meats, salads...needless to say, there is no room to try everything. The food and drink were all excellent.

Afterwards, we strolled and explored, and sat at the outdoor patio of the golf club to watch Djokovic win the tiebreaker against Nadal on a huge outdoor TV. A server came out, and upon learning that we just had brunch and will not be ordering, brought us ice water on her own accord.

It was a fantastic day, worth the $75 tab each. There was free parking as always!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

We went to Miami with our kids for the kid portion of the SOBE Food and Wine festival. The SOBE hotels were either all booked or too expensive so we opted for the Biltmore, which had great reviews. We got the govt employee discount rate, which was nice. Our stay was nice, though clearly not a "kid" hotel in that there were not many families around, but we knew that. We enjoyed the breakfast in the courtyard and the pool is beautiful. The restaurant by the pool is overpriced but did have the BEST creme brulee I've ever had ! (And I'm a foodie!)

The problem came when we got home and got our credit card bill and figured out that we were charged an extra night because they had us checking out a DAY AFTER we actually left. Mind you, when we checked out and got our bill, everything was correct. Thankfully we saved the bill. We called the hotel and they referred us to whomever handles billing.

The person who my husband talked to in the billing department, was EXTREMELY rude, and couldn't verify in her system the day we had actually checked out. Come on. She basically must have thought we were lying or something. Why would we waste our time haggling if we weren't in the right? She refused to acknowledge there even might have been a mistake, and didn't refund us until my husband sent her a pdf copy of our checkout bill. And then without an apology. I could have sent our airline tickets too proving we left the day we said- it almost came to that.

I would think a place like the Biltmore would treat it's guests better, in all their departments. It left a sour taste and while I would have said I would stay there again, now I won't.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Very nice hotel though slightly showing its age, but a lot of charm. Nice and very large pool but cool in March. Rooms (junior suites) are OK but again could use some refreshning though the bed was very comfortable.

La Fontana restaurant (outdoor patio) was exceptional with attentive and knowlegeable staff, fantastic "made on premise" pastas and other delicacies. While I shun hotel food, I had 2 dinners and a lunch and enjoyed them all immensily. Too bad the wines are outrageously priced - a $12 retail bottle will put you back $40, with 18% gratuity over $50. Maybe that's why the bars were all deserted at nigth - $14 a glass of wine? Cheaper to take a short cab ride to d/t coral gables if there are several of you.

Poolside fool was equally surprisingly good!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We were delightfully surprised by this elegant hotel - from the stunning lobby to the romantic internal courtyard to the fabulous pool - we loved everything about this property.

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This architecturally significant, iconic hotel has a fab breakfast buffet, and superb exercise classes, as well as many really lovely employees. Sadly the first two I met, at the front desk were so bad that I had to promptly re-locate to another hotel. That is, once in my unpleasant room, after waiting the full three hours necessitated by my early arrival before 3:00. I arrived exhausted and was traveling for a rest; had to re-plan the rest of my trip, and without the help of the internet. The first front desk person was the most appalling hotel employee I have ever encountered in decades of travel. A night manager was lovely and unhappy at that treatment; sent wine and fruit - I don't drink!, but really helped the next day when I left something in the safe. However, the stress of re-booking an entire trip, on a holiday weekend (Presidents) ! A formal, stuffy updated, old-fashioned place full of business people, but with many beauties.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
ManagerCoralGables, General Manager at Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
As a world-class luxury destination resort, the Biltmore enjoys a stellar reputation for professionalism, services and quality of product within the industry. We extend every effort possible to resolve guests' issues related to their hotel experience. In regards to this commentary, the guest's perception of service is contrary to the courtesies extended by our Front Office Management, which included check-in prior to the standard time, a complimentary upgrade, welcome amenity and late check-out.

Been to Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!