“I think I'm in France.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Ramsey, New Jersey
“I think I'm in France.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

My wife and I has previously always spent a night or two in South Beach before driving on our annual trip to Key West. Last May we decided to try Coral Gables and we are SO happy we picked Hotel St. Michel. Once we stepped inside everything reminded us of Europe, France in particular. The hotel staff were very friendly, the room was immaculate and comfortable. If we come back to Coral Gables we would absolutely pick Place St. Michel again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I have often stayed at the Hyatt Coral Gables and the Westin Hotel Coral Gables, but now I prefer the Hotel St. Michel. I paid $119 (Florida rate) on a last minute booking because the other hotels were sold out (even at rates of $299 plus tax). Hotel is old world (built 1926), and still has charm. The TV is not large and fancy, the bathrooms are not updated, there are no fancy toiletries, no gym, no room service, no pool, etc. You want all that, then you need to go elsewhere.

The location is superb for Coral Gables. The parking is across the street in a garage for only $9/night. Breakfast served in your room at a time you request includes coffee, orange juice and croissant or muffin. The hotel is very, very quiet. Restaurant on first floor appeared to serve hearty food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

The Hotle St Michel is a lovely European Style boutique right in the heart of beautiful Coral Gables. Had a 9 night stay here (12-20 Nov 2010) with my girlfriend and St Michel offered us an ideal location for everything we wanted to see and do in the Miami area. The Hotel has an old style charm about it, check-in area is basic but adequate and the old style elevator has to be manually operated by a member of staff. Our room, 316, was a good size, clean and comfortable. On a few nights I could hear noise from accross the street but that could have been down to jet lag and body clock issues as the week wore on I wasn't wakened by any noise. Bathroom and shower were spacious enough for our needs. Hotel is in a great location within Coral Gables for shopping/dining and if you wish to travel into Miami then using the trolley to Douglas Rd Metro Station and getting the train to Government Centre is easy and only takes 25mins. We didn't have a car but I believe the Hotel uses a parking facility accross the street which costs $9 per 24hrs. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful towards us and offered excellent information regarding the local area. We didn't eat in the restraunt or have breakfast as our booking was room-rate only. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and Al's Coffee Shop in the Atlantic Bank building accross the street is an excellent option for breakfast. Overall Hotel St. Michel was a great experience for us - great value in a tremendous location and we will be staying here again the next time we return to South Florida.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

By far the most delightful hotel in the greater Miami area, comparable only to a European equivalent.
The staff cannot do enough to make your stay comfortable including running after us for a block to return a forgotten satchel. Yes, the room are on the small side, although a couple are quite large, but they are so charming that it doesn’t matter. They certainly have everything one needs from WiFi to TV to an excellent AC and excellent windows that keep away any semblance of noise. Besides, the Coral Gables location cannot be better—you can actually walk to some of the best restaurants in Miami. We have found our new hotel for our trips to Miami.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with our young family for one night on a whistle stop tour of Florida. We picked the hotel on the reviews here on trip advisor and also by looking at the hotels own web site. The hotel has splendid 'unique' style and charm and as far as that goes the hotel is great. However the service was rather poor and the staff a tad frosty (very abrupt at breakfast) and the continental breakfast was also very basic (tea or coffee served in a polystyrene cup, orange juice and one pastry) and so all in all we felt not great value for the $157.00 we paid (inc tax) for one night.
Parking was okay in a garage right opposite the hotel but was $9 a night extra.

I would recommend this hotel if you want something different from the usual dull USA chain hotel, but if you want a great breakfast and service with a smile then look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

My husband and I recently spent a night at the tiny, charming Hotel Place St. Michel located on a quiet corner near Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, Florida. Our room was attractive with classic furnishings, a delciously comfortable bed with lots of pillows, a flat screen TV, and free WiFi access. The bathroom was huge and beauifully appointed with lots of windows, generous granite counters and a modern shower/tub. The building is old (the elevator is still manually operated) but well maintianed. The staff was very helpful. Continental breakfast was included but was brought to the room rather than served in the hotel's dining room. This was the only negative to the stay. The breakfast was fine (coffee, juice and nice croissants), but it should have come on a cart that was left in the room to be used as a table. There was no place to comfortably put the breakfast dishes except on your lap or the dresser.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Caribbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I have traveled a bit yet FL has been one left out on my travels until recently. I was in SoBe a few weeks before and then I was here at Coral Gables. I was very happy and pleased with the Hotel St. Michel. Upon checking in I was given an actual key (been a while for that one!) and was escorted to my room in a vintage elevator. My room was tiny, but since it was just me - I didn't care! The bed was comfortable and clean. The antique furniture was also exquisite (I had a sewing machine table for my flat screen tv), a vanity as a general-use table and a sweet closet. The bathroom was sizeable but not too large. You will have to request an iron and ironing board however. There was Wi-fi throughout the hotel.The halls were darkly carpeted and filled with more antique furniture and floral arrangements. This hotel was more than adequate for my needs. The restaurant is Italian (people kept telling me French for some unknown reason) and though I ate there one night, I could not have a full meal because of health concerns. The staff were quite attentive and my salad was tart and delicious. And Coral Gables is GORGEOUS. I felt safe in the area and on mornings would walk a few blocks to taxis and breakfast (I'm picky with food so I go exploring...). The Miracle Mile was not far. All I am happy for is a bookstore and there was a Barnes and Noble. There are MANY wedding dress shops, and many places to eat. In all, I was happy, well fed, well shopped-out and I enjoyed my class (the reason I went in the first place!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Place St. Michel? Share your experiences!