“European Charm!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Coral Gables
Florida
“European Charm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

My husband and I recently spent a night at the tiny, charming Hotel Place St. Michel located on a quiet corner near Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, Florida. Our room was attractive with classic furnishings, a delciously comfortable bed with lots of pillows, a flat screen TV, and free WiFi access. The bathroom was huge and beauifully appointed with lots of windows, generous granite counters and a modern shower/tub. The building is old (the elevator is still manually operated) but well maintianed. The staff was very helpful. Continental breakfast was included but was brought to the room rather than served in the hotel's dining room. This was the only negative to the stay. The breakfast was fine (coffee, juice and nice croissants), but it should have come on a cart that was left in the room to be used as a table. There was no place to comfortably put the breakfast dishes except on your lap or the dresser.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Caribbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I have traveled a bit yet FL has been one left out on my travels until recently. I was in SoBe a few weeks before and then I was here at Coral Gables. I was very happy and pleased with the Hotel St. Michel. Upon checking in I was given an actual key (been a while for that one!) and was escorted to my room in a vintage elevator. My room was tiny, but since it was just me - I didn't care! The bed was comfortable and clean. The antique furniture was also exquisite (I had a sewing machine table for my flat screen tv), a vanity as a general-use table and a sweet closet. The bathroom was sizeable but not too large. You will have to request an iron and ironing board however. There was Wi-fi throughout the hotel.The halls were darkly carpeted and filled with more antique furniture and floral arrangements. This hotel was more than adequate for my needs. The restaurant is Italian (people kept telling me French for some unknown reason) and though I ate there one night, I could not have a full meal because of health concerns. The staff were quite attentive and my salad was tart and delicious. And Coral Gables is GORGEOUS. I felt safe in the area and on mornings would walk a few blocks to taxis and breakfast (I'm picky with food so I go exploring...). The Miracle Mile was not far. All I am happy for is a bookstore and there was a Barnes and Noble. There are MANY wedding dress shops, and many places to eat. In all, I was happy, well fed, well shopped-out and I enjoyed my class (the reason I went in the first place!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This hotel does not feel like an American hotel, though it has the usual AC, private bath and King bed. Maybe it is the old elevator, that doesn't look as though you could operate it yourself; maybe the wooden casement windows, or the armoire that really holds your clothes. The rooms aren't big, so you aren't in Vegas, and they have dark wood furniture in the rooms and hallways from another century. You could be in Cuba, maybe, or Spain, or Italy, but hardly the US! And it works! No glitz, no South Beach deco or Biltmore style, but if you like Miami because it is filled with people from around the world, and being near Little Havana, you will probably like St. Michel.
Great restaurants within the block, including a recently opened Italian restaurant in the hotel which we did not have time to take in on this trip. Two blocks away, a cigar store, with locally made products from former Cubanos and men talking and playing dominoes. Coral Gables, close to the wonderful Fairchild Gardens, is great walking country. A few blocks and you are in old Miami, with bougainvillea-smothered stucco, the Venetian Pool, and strangler figs towering over the roads.
If Miami Beach is too much of a muchness for more than two days, you should probably stay in Coral Gables. And if the big hotels here are a little too "anywhere" or out of your budget, you should definitely visit Hotel Place St. Michel.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Twin Cities, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I went to Miami for a Friday night gallery crawl (we were staying in Naples) and we fortunately found this great hotel on the internet. Turns out, all the locals recommend it too, as we later learned, and for good reason. The place is charming: like a European mid-range boutique hotel, with each room a different size, and decorated with Spanish-style antiques. The food was absolutely excellent. The service was earnest, although a bit slow at times. I love the Coral Gables area; it's so convenient for going anyplace in Miami, but has its own urban sophistication (great stores and shopping). We look forward to our next visit to Place St. Michael.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

What a great hotel!! Found it online and took a chance and found it to be excellent! Coral gables is a beautiful area; quiet but with plenty of restaurants and shopping within walking distance nearby. Room was clean with nice antique style furniture. Staff was friendly and helpful; king bed was soooo comfortable. So much nicer than a "chain" hotel; this one has character! Were there for Sony Ericsson tennis tournament; will definitely go back again next year. Would highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

you know, I normally think Tripadvisor is BIBLE, but on this one it was a little off.
This is a lovely hotel. The Staff were sooo nice. The room was gorgeous. The location was right beside the miracle mile and I went to the designer-y Mall nearby- which they recommneded. Its a European style hotel in Miami, we were going on a cruise, so very nice and this was a great hotel to stay in before we cruised.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I won a 'mystery auction' for a 4-night stay at the St. Michel at a deep bargain. I was rather nervous after reading some of the reviews here, though. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by this little boutique hotel. It's ideally located within walking distance of all the interesting venues in Coral Gables. Upon arrival and check-in I was escorted up the antique elevator to a spacious 3rd floor suite (rm 310) that had a large sitting area and nice-sized bathroom. The room was decorated with various Spanish-style antiques and had a super-comfortable King bed. I didn't mind having to walk the stairs during my stay even though the staff would have been happy to take me up and down the elevator. I didn't get a chance to dine in the restaurant and I'm not partial to continental breakfasts, so I can't speak to the quality of either at this hotel. However, I had a very pleasant stay here overall. Be advised, however, that while Coral Gables has excellent restaurants, shopping and nightlife, it is not a beach destination. If you're looking for the sun and sand experience right outside your hotel, best check out the plenitude of great hotels/resorts in Miami Beach.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Place St. Michel? Share your experiences!