“Charming, old world hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Place St. Michel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   162 Alcazar Ave., Coral Gables, FL 33134   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Miami Beach, Florida
“Charming, old world hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Charming 1928 hotel with old world charm, spacious and inviting. Service was excellent. Decor could have been more lively. Bar was noisy with blasting music until 11:30 p.m. Conveniently located. Comfortable bed and attractive bathroom with "gold" faucets.

Stayed October 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This small, friendly and quaint boutique hotel in the middle of Coral Gables is a real find. The service is personal, décor brings you back to the 1920's.Very tastefully remodeled to make you feel at home. It's old fashioned elevator is manually operated by friendly staff. The best part is that t is located within walking distance of the Miracle mile and great eateries.

• Stayed September 2015, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2015

I was very pleased with the stay. Quiet great location and also good food downstairs. Ayna from the reception was very kind to explain the story behind the hotel and everything is unique and authentic.
Worth a visit.
I like places like this.
Thank you guys for keeping it so romantic.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled on business
New Port Richey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2015

The St Michel is an old hotel that has been tastefully remodeled to reflect it's history. The hotel is clean with lots of wood and antiques in the hallways. I love the old elevator with the accordian cage door and hand-operated up/down handle. The room and bathroom are modernized with a large queen bed, travertine tub and sink, and flat screen tv. Room furnishings are antiques and without refrigerator, microwave or coffee maker. The staff, two alternating desk managers, was friendly and helpful. The hotel is only a couple blocks away from some great restaurants and bars. Rooms were $97 with cancellations available a day ahead. My only negative comments about the stay are minor; a lumpy bed with valleys and a long wait for hot water to arrive. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled solo
Lutz, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2015

I've stayed at Hotel St. Michel twice. I simply love this place. It is within walking distance of great restaurants and shops which make Coral Gables so special. Hotel St. Michel is quite a small hotel, with only 28 guest rooms. It is very quiet. What I like the most is the decoration. How not to fall in love with the antique sewing machine table which serves as a TV stand? Instead of a closet, each room has a chifforobe. I gave it a four instead of five stars because there weren't any breakfast ( it was offered on my first stay a few years ago). Nevertheless, there is a Starbucks and Einstein Bagels shops two blocks away from the hotel ( a good walk won't be a bad idea after having a bagel and latte for breakfast)!

Stayed June 2015
1 Thank WEdmee
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2015 via mobile

This hotel is well located, on the corner of the Main Street in Coral Gables, close to Miracle Mile. There is parking in a reasonably secure car park across the road for a small surcharge. The entrance to the hotel is a bit strange in that you almost have to go into the peruvian restaurant connected to the hotel first. The room was a bit dated but beds were comfy. Would have liked to see a safe in-room and better curtains though (there was basically no point in having them). Also, the breakfast was terrible - a few stale looking pastries and not much else in a random room next to reception - don't bother!

Overall a convenient stopover hotel but I wouldn't stay for more than one night.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends
1 Thank LNeedham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2015

My husband and I were fascinated by the decor as it seemed time stood still since the 1940's and we loved it. Staff was wonderful until the morning. We left at 5:30 a.m. because I was being admitted to a nearby hospital for surgery. My husband returned to the hotel and stopped in lobby for a cup of coffee. He was actually YELLED at in a rude manner for stealing coffee that was only for hotel guests -- which we were. She didn't ask if he was a guest, just accused him. When she realized her mistake, there was NO apology. She proceeded to accuse him of smoking in the room and informing him we were being charged a $250.00 fine. WE NEVER SMOKED IN THE ROOM or anywhere in the Hotel! Another mistake with no apology. When we booked the hotel, I asked if there was a balcony or door to the outside because my husband was a smoker. Reservations offered us a smoking room and we accepted. Once we arrived, we were told there were no smoking rooms, which was fine with us, we are used to that. apparently they flagged us to have housekeeping report evidence of smoke. Instead of waiting until speaking with housekeeping, it was assumed we smoked in the room. Then she insisted my husband was not telling the truth when he told her reservations offered a smoking room and management should make them aware there are no such rooms. Apparently staff doesn't know when you go online, guests are given a toll free number - not the local Hotel. I have no idea why this person was so rude to us. Maybe we didn't look our best at 5:30 am but we were far from slovenly. I am sorry this happened because we will never return to this beautiful Classic old Gables Hotel that was located in in my childhood city. We found it very nostalgic and lovely. But refuse to be treated in such a rude manner. Very unprofessional. We checked out and went to a nearby Holiday Inn for the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
#6 of 11 in Coral Gables
4.0 of 5 stars 364 reviews
Coconut Grove
Hampton Inn Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Hotel Place St. Michel? Share your experiences!