“Great hotel - restaurant awful” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Place St. Michel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   162 Alcazar Ave., Coral Gables, FL 33134   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Green County, WI
“Great hotel - restaurant awful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very unique and classy property. Old-fashioned charm and actual room keys rather than passkey cards. Interesting antiques in the rooms and hallways. Elevator operator runs the elevator. Food from restaurant was the worst (Vivaldino's) - absolutely most disgusting "key lime pie" ever. Not sure how it ended up so gritty with such a mush of "crust". Entree not as ordered. Skip this and find a good place to eat on nearby Miracle Mile - plenty with outdoor/sidewalk cafe seating.

Room Tip: Nice to be on 3rd floor - can open the windows. There is street noise, however.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Parking is across Alcazar street. You pay the hotel $14 for a one day pass or you can park on the street which is free at night (10pm-8am I think). There are two temp spots in front of the hotel. The concierge is slightly hidden, in front and then to the left. Concierge was very nice checking in and out. From there they can operate the elevator for you or you can take the stairs to your room. Hotel has an older feel to it but it's nice looking. Biggest complaint was the small to moderate amount of noise. Voices easily came through my door from guests walking past. A small vibration could be heard through the walls for a little bit. I could hear when certain other prople used the water. And that was all at night. The phone rang once and then stopped in the early morning. An accidental wakeup call to the wrong room.
Also, the light was a little too strong coming through the window but not too bad.
Some good places to eat in walking distance. About twenty minutes from the airport.
A computer available for use and optional wifi fir purchase. I would probably stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am getting married in January 2013, and was looking for a hotel close to the church to stay at the night before the wedding. I e-mailed with Evelyn (hotel manager) several times prior to deciding to stop by the hotel to take a look first hand. According to many reviewers, the restaurant on the first floor was being remodeled, windows were boarded up, and I didn't want to take the chance to have this happen during my stay, as I want some nice photos of me at the hotel.

I stopped by the hotel a couple weeks ago now, and I am pleased to say that the restaurants are now open. Yes, two - there is a Peruvian fine dining restaurant on the left side (as you enter the hotel), and a more casual dining restaurant on the right side. I approached the front desk and was greeted by Evelyn herself; she was very kind, and offered to show us multiple rooms with no obligation. I love the hotel. I came across St. Michel as I looked for a small hotel, with European style, and a nice staircase I could be photographed in. I took my fiance and my sister with me.. and they both mentioned a particular "smell" if you will throughout the hotel. My sister could not describe it; my fiance described it as "antique". I agree I smelled it, but it did not bother me; to me, It actually adds to the antique feel of the place.

I wanted to reserve the room that has the only balcony in the hotel, as I wanted to be photographed on it, but it is a small, king size room. I ended up booking the Double Junior Suite on the third floor.. and it is beautiful. It has a type of decor that really appeals to me.. and it seems as all the rooms face the street, which I like. Evelyn did tell me that if on the morning of my wedding, the room with the balcony is vacant, she will allow me to go in to photograph on it =)

The elevator is, as many reviewers have stated, an original, and is only operated by hotel staff.

As far as parking goes, there is metered street parking, or a garage parking right across the street, that costs $15 for the day.. or $5 after 7 pm. On the weekends, Saturday and Sunday, however, the garage is open but not managed.. so parking is free. =)

Overall the hotel looked clean, the service was friendly, and the restaurants, which are not managed by the hotel, look good. The hotel is on a quiet street, but within walking distance of multiple shops on Ponce de Leon street.. and close to residential Coral Gables.. and many beautiful spots for pictures.

I can't wait to stay here in January.. and if need be, I will update with a new review.

Room Tip: If distance and time permit, politely ask Evelyn (hotel manager) if you may see a room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

St Michel is a unique touch of Old Miami in the heart of Coral Gables. Each room is different in size, shape and design, but all of them are decorated with old and quaint furnishings and decor. Despite its retro character the St Michel has been well maintained and is clean and inviting. The service is efficient. The staff were extremely attentive. The location is excellent. I would enjoy staying there again and although it's not elegant, I would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
St. John
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This quiet well maintained small Hotel a few miles from the Miami airport in Coral Gables could not be better. It is laid back with excellent rooms, a friendly staff, and an overall great European small hotel feel. If you like a quality small hotel that is non pretentious this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2012
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a great hotel....well located and very charming in all respects, and it used to have a great restaurant and bar...used to! The hotel has shut down the restaurant and bar and is carrying is renovating from the early hours of the day. The lack of facilities was not pre-advised and, if known, would have direct us to another hotel. In the partially full hotel, we were given a room immediately over the work in progress....the noise and vibration drove us out of the room earlier than intended.
This was, and will be again, a great hotel but, please, call before booking to determine the progress and, if you decide to stay whilst the work in is progress, ask for an upper floor!

Room Tip: Upper floors during the renovation
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

OK, let me first say that I travel for business almost every week and use Hilton or Hyatt as my preferred properties. When I was helping to plan my brother's 50th Birthday celebration in SE Florida, Coral Gables made sense for a place to ground ourselves. I found this hotel and fell in love with the website and the hotel's historic charm.

If you are coming here expecting room service, dream beds, feather pillows or other "needy traveler" items, you should know this is not what makes the hotel charming. It is beautifully decorated and takes you back in time to a place where people weren't spoiled and privileged; simply grateful for a clean, delightful place to lay their head.

You cannot beat the location and there are FANTASTIC restaurants within easy walking distance. Bottom line, great price, great location and delightful hotel staff! Have some patience and slow it down!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Place St. Michel? Share your experiences!