“Hidden Gem in the Gables” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Place St. Michel to your Saves list
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
Nashville, Tennessee
“Hidden Gem in the Gables”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

OK, let me first say that I travel for business almost every week and use Hilton or Hyatt as my preferred properties. When I was helping to plan my brother's 50th Birthday celebration in SE Florida, Coral Gables made sense for a place to ground ourselves. I found this hotel and fell in love with the website and the hotel's historic charm.

If you are coming here expecting room service, dream beds, feather pillows or other "needy traveler" items, you should know this is not what makes the hotel charming. It is beautifully decorated and takes you back in time to a place where people weren't spoiled and privileged; simply grateful for a clean, delightful place to lay their head.

You cannot beat the location and there are FANTASTIC restaurants within easy walking distance. Bottom line, great price, great location and delightful hotel staff! Have some patience and slow it down!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I’d like to start my review by stating that I prefer old/historic properties, especially those that are not run by a major corporate chain, over new cookie cutter style establishments. This European boutique hotel fit the bill perfectly! We found our room to be quite large, clean and in good repair. I love the antique furnishings that were blended with modern conveniences (flat screen tv, newer bathroom fixtures).

The hotel seems to be maintained quite well. We found our room to be clean and quiet and the staff to be friendly and helpful. I am quite puzzled by some other reviews that referred to the property as run down. In fact, for this style of hotel, I found it to be in better condition than most. The only thing that was really noticeable was that the awnings outside are damaged and/or missing – they may be in the process of replacing them.

I’d like to add one other nice touch – each late afternoon/early evening, a housekeeping attendant came by our room and refilled our ice bucket. The little things like that are what lead me to properties like this.

Parking is on-street (meters) or in a garage across the street. The rate was $14/night with unlimited in/out service – a bonus for a downtown area, which I often find to be more expensive without in/out service. We stayed Thursday-Sunday and were not charged for parking on Saturday and Sunday.

There is a restaurant on the first floor, however at this time, it is closed. Renovations were being done and it appears that it will open again soon. Coffee, juice and pastry are provided each morning – a French bakery, Einstein bagels and Starbucks are all within walking distance.

The location is terrific – we were able to walk to restaurants for breakfast/dinner, there were several banks in the area (in case you needed to visit an ATM machine) and the Miracle Mile shopping district is just a few blocks away. The hotel is a short drive to the University of Miami campus, Marlins Park, Little Habana, Miami International Airport and downtown attractions like Key Biscayne, American Airlines Arena, Bayfront Marketplace, the Port of Miami…It is easily accessible from US-1, I-95 and FL-836.

Room Tip: We faced the street (Alcazar) and it was not too noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I didn't like the Hotel Place St. Michel at all. In fact, the only reason I am not completely panning it is because the service was friendly and courteous. That said, everything about the hotel was run down. The walls, floors, carpets, bathroom fixtures all had mystery stains. Everything creaked and was generally dingy. The hallways felt like something out of a ghost story. Everything needed a good washing and dusting. This is not my kind of place.

Also as others have mentioned, the hotel's first floor windows are currently boarded up and there is no restaurant on premises. I actually walked by the hotel because there was no sign for it and the building looked deserted. My room also didn't have a mini-frig, water, coffee maker or wifi -- all inconvenient since there was no water or coffee to be had anywhere on premises.

I spent 1 night here and 1 night at the nearby Hyatt for about the same price ($180 inc tax) and the Hyatt is infinitely better. I would never stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We had intended to stay four nights but left after the first. We arrived late after a long trip with a small child, to discover the restaurant (and entire ground floor area) was closed. The incredibly unfriendly man at the front desk told us the restaurant and bar had been sold off a few months ago. This makes the hotel experience unpleasant, the windows on the ground floor are boarded up, and it looks like a construction site. The corridors and rooms are beautifully decorated with period pieces, but not well kept, there were stains in the rugs and the sofa was dusty. We requested a crib for our baby (and called before arrival to confirm) but it took two hours after our arrival for the staff to finally find one, and dump it on the floor for us to set up. There was no sheet and the sides of the crib had stays (they looked like cigarette burns!). Since there was no restaurant we had to go out late at night in a storm to find some food, the take-out suggestions by the hotel staff turned out not to do delivery. A housekeeper turned up to carry our luggage but couldn't lift the suitcases, I could go on... Very disappointing. We didn't want it to ruin our holiday so left for the Biltmore (excellent choice, only 20 dollars more a night).

• Stayed July 2012
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Had some family members visitng from Spain stay here, they loved it. The rooms were really clean and neatly decorated. The service was great and the staff was friendly. It was nice and quiet specially at night which was great for rest, best location in the heart of coral gables just 4 blocks away from miracle mile. Great place for the family and will defenitely recommend it to anyone visiting on business or vacation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The hotel and room are decorated with beautiful antiques. It is conveniently located in the heart of Coral Gables, FL . The night manager and staff were very helpful and assisted us with parking and information about restaurants in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We loved this hotel! Each room is individually decorated with beautiful antiques. It is conveniently located in the heart of Coral Gables, FL and just minutes from the airport. We only stayed for one night, as we were flying through, but do plan to return in an extended vacation and explore the beautiful area in the near future.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have a pool or a fitness center, as we only stayed one night, which is the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Place St. Michel? Share your experiences!