“Spain in the middle of Miami” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 274 restaurants in Coral Gables
Cuisines: Spanish, Tapas
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Xixon is committed in providing our customers and visitors alike the best Spain has to offer in terms of its diverse regional cuisines including Tapas & Wines. 2013 And 2014 Certificates of Excellence Winner!
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
“Spain in the middle of Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great atmosphere, with great food and tapas. The best Croquetas in town. Excellent varieties of wine from Spain. You will the place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
XixonCafe, Owner at Xixon Spanish Restaurant, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi Jackie

Thanks for your great feedback, we are very glad you enjoyed the Croquetas! Come back soon.

86% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“Go for Happy Hour Drinks and Tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

XIXON is my all time #1favorite Spanish restaurant in Dade County.

Not only is it a beautiful place with different environments to choose from, the owner, Begonia, has taken great care over the years and two locations prior to this one, to develop a wonderful restaurant in Miami/Coral Gables area right on Coral Way, close to 22 Avenue, SW.

I was there yesterday with my son and a dear friend who is like family, and enjoyed one of the best Mojitos I've had, for half the price, during happy hour. The tapas are a bit expensive, but worth it and done right. Great taste and cooked with care and knowhow.

You need to know what you like and what to order. Champiñones al Jerez, croquetas de Cabrales or of Bacalao or Espinaca, are great. So is a simple lettuce and tomato salad, typical Spanish with Tuna and boiled egg. Their gazpacho which I have had before, as well as their sopa de ajo, are great. I love their pimientos de Padrón--hard to get in the US, but I think that the price needs to come down a little, and I wait to have them in Spain. Their hot chocolate and churros is the best in Miami and that is where we go on those few cold days when we yearn for the real Spanish hot chocolate. I wish they would add some Andalusian dishes to their menu, like espinacas con garbanzo and berenjena rebozada con miel. These are simple and make great tapas too.

What is also nice about XIXON is that there is always a friendly atmosphere, the waiters are always pleasant and remember you if you are a regular, the place is very pretty and clean spotless, and it is also great to be able to purchase goods at their deli. They always have freshly baked break that they bring from Spain, have turrones, almendras, beans, all kinds of great wines, a variety of great cheeses, etc. They are classy as is the owner, Begonia, who is always on top of things and making sure things run smoothly, going around greeting customers with a warm smile.

I would only recommend perhaps (as a suggestion) considering having a periodic guest musician/artist who could play Spanish guitar, perhaps in the outside area where a bar could be set up as well, or playing some contemporary nice (not noisy volume) Spanish flamenco or classical Spanish music from artists like Buika, Radio Tarifa, Camarón, Jose Merce, Tomatito, Paco de lucia, etc., rather than whatever is playing on the tv monitors. Maybe vary when to have the tv on and when to have music playing so that there is some variety and pleasant music in the background.

If you are in MIami and are looking for a Spanish restaurant, this must be your #1 place to go, for sure. Don't miss it.

• Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Not our lucky day...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went there for lunch today with 6 people. Very cool place. Sat at the table and probably had the worst service ever... The guy who was our waiter didn't acknowledge us until I had to make him aware we were there... I had to ask him 3-4 times to bring us water. He brings the water in a jarra and leaves it at the table for us to serve ourselves... We only had wine glasses at the table and had to use them for the water... Guy could care less... Also had to ask if we could have bread. It's almost like we were intruding... We ordered food with absolutely no assistance or patience from the waiter. The food was good. I am sure we would have ordered more if the waiter would have helped us out with the menu selections. He was rush rush like he had somewhere to go. We are Spanish and very fluent in the language so there was no language barrier. Just terrible service. Cool place. Great decor. The lady at the front door was great. I would love to go back and try it again. It was just not our lucky day... The tortilla was delicious and so were the mushrooms. The scallops were yummy and all in all the food was great. I will make sure we don't get the same waiter again.. He really killed our experience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
XixonCafe, Owner at Xixon Spanish Restaurant, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hi

We are really sorry about your recent lunch experience but April 24 was not a lucky day for the entire staff either, I will not go in detail right now but wanted to get back to you and invite your entire group back for lunch on us.

Eventhough there is really no excuses for the bad service but I will go in more detail later on in person.

I do hope you accept our invitation as we try our very best that every dining experience is as rewarding as posiible, food and service.

Please advise the hostess when you are planning to return so that I am there to greet you and your group.

Carlos Mattos
Miami, Florida
“Simply AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Service, ambience, and the white wine sangria is a must have.
The place was pack for lunch, which is always a great indicator.

Visited February 2013
Aventura, Florida
“Best tapas (and baguette) in Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This a great place in Miami for pintxos / tapas in Miami.
They started years ago at a very small store on Coral Way and now they have this beautiful restaurant and tapas bar on the same street. The ambience is great and food and wine excellent.
Service could improve, not friendly sometimes. On a recent night I was by myself and witnessed some waiters arguing, not very nice.

• Visited April 2013