“Go Hungry!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
“Go Hungry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

While visiting the casino we went to the deli for a quick bite. Or shall I say a BIG bite. The food was great and the portions are huge. think about sharing. The chicken soup is really really good and the matzo balls were light and delicious. We also had the potato pancakes, the brisket, the pastrami and the fries. All delicious. And of course, the pickles!!!!

Visited January 2014

Delray Beach, Florida
“1st Street Deli is okay with us...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

First of all, let me say that my husband and I have been coming to this deli since February 2012 and not only do they treat you like old friends, they serve quality food, with friendly, caring management.

We eat here multiple times throughout each month and the employees are always happy to see you. When you are a regular, people get to know you and what you like, they remember you and treat well out of mutual respect. My husband and I both know what it’s like on the service side of life and these people have to bust their butts to make a buck no matter what is going on in their lives or with their health, they are the front line for the business. They also have to deal with the general public which can be a real drag with the South Florida crowd. I couldn’t do it.

Now I won’t name favorites and we’ve had just about every server in the 1st Street Deli, they all are good. We seem to see Sara, David, Eileen, John and Bianca more due to the timing of our visits. All fantastic servers.

On a recent visit, I ran into the new beverage manager walking through the casino and pointed out that as a coffee drinker, I was happy that some changes had been made and they replaced the smaller coffee cups with larger ones and the coffee seemed “’better””. I told him that we just had a meal and you can tell someone in the kitchen was really on the ball. I order the turkey dinner which I have had many times and first of all it was out at lightning speed. It was also hot, the turkey was moist, dressing was perfect and the fresh broccoli was hot, even the mashed potatoes tasted better. My husband had a grilled sandwich and even he said it was better than ever.

I have only had one occasion to send back food and it was just for cold over cooked French fries so no big deal.

I don’t have any respect for people who do not take care of their servers, or are rude in any way to anyone. I also don’t like reading reviews from people who consistently write bad reviews for 80% of the establishments they go to. Some people will just cry hunger with two loaves of bread under each arm. If you have a problem you have it taken care of right then. If there is still a problem, maybe it’s not the restaurant?

The prices are reasonable and we usually don’t have a bill over $35 for both of us and that is with a very full stomach. Sandwiches are $9.95 and up. Salads start at $8.95. Everything is good, desserts are huge! Love the cheesecake. Try the Salmon dinner, always good.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The worst deli in existence”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is overpriced and the food is terrible. I would stay away. I can't understand how this place got any decent reviews unless it suddenly went downhill. My boyfriend and I went to the casino to gamble so we decided to go to the deli and get something quick. We ordered 2 cups of chili and it was not that great and certainly not worth $4 a cup. We noticed the sandwiches on the menu were all in the $14-15 price range and we decided to split a tuna salad panini. We got the sandwich and noticed it was gross, the tuna tasted very fishy and like it had gone bad. We asked our server to please take it away, we couldn't eat it, she was very unhappy about this request and had a seriously bad attitude, despite our being nice about it. We then tried a ham and cheese, should be a simple thing to make. This place uses cheap, gross ham, that looked like the cheap ham in the grocery store in the plastic package next to the bologna. It was gross too, and especially to be paying $14 for a sandwich, it better be good! We should have sent this back too instead of try to eat it and pay for it. How can you mess up chili and a ham and cheese? They can. In the three years my boyfriend and I have been dating, this is the worst meal we've ever had. Avoid this place at all costs! There is nothing positive I can say about this place.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Great Sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stopped into this deli style restaurant that was inside the casino after walking around and spending our money. We both ordered some New York style deli sandwiches and not only were they great eating, they were BIG!!! We could hardly finish the sandwiches but managed to get it all down. The waitress, Shaina, also gave us two giant pickles which I was told they make there. Very good pickles!!! Great casino restaurant along with great service.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Miss that NY deli food? Go here. Generous, delicious portions of NY deli type food. Service is great. Prices are reasonable, except new breakfast items are a bit over-priced.

Visited July 2013