“one problem” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Cocoa Beach
Cincinnati, Ohio
“one problem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here Sunday Sept. 30 to Wed Oct. 3 . We knew the Inn was an older one which was ok. The room was clean , enjoyed the pool area as our door opened up right near the pool / pond but had privacy because of the trees , plantings. The staff were very friendly , short walk or drive to the beach " this is great for taking a walk in the morning or evenings" as we had a full moon to enjoy. Enjoyed the pool area , Shuffle Board . The one problem we had was the smell / musty and we did try and air it out and we did think it was all right. Yet later on that night the musty smell came back , I even felt sick about 4 as the smell bothered me " told the desk clerk " , and my husband mentioned that he felt the same , know not knowing I had the symptoms too.. 2 1/2 hours we were gone so they could fix the room and when we came back they had just cleaned the air conditioner coils and sprayed ? so we had to wait outside even longer before we could use the room.. That was really inconvient to sit and wait another couple of hours again. We enjoyed an Italian resturant just a couple of streets away , Star Bucks next door , Yogert IceCream nearby , even a surf shop to visit , drug store across the road , shopping area nearby.. Very convient location.. I am from a Beach area so I know rooms can get musty , they need to check the rooms better before someone does stay there like we did for 3 nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Mabank, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had originally booked a one night stay at a different Chain, but since we needed 2 nights, we changed to the Comfort Inn & Suites. The rates were much less than the Original Chain we had booked. Check-in was quick and we got the requested Ground Floor. From the Picture it was not distinguishable that this Property did not have inside Corridors, if I had known that we would not have stayed there. When we entered our room it was clean, but smelled very stale, so the first thing we did was to go to a Store and get some Febreeze, which made it tolerable.
We were given a choice of a 9:30 AM or 10 AM Shuttle and opted for the 10 AM. Parking was in Lot E which is not all too far away from the property. The Shuttle arrived promptly and we were on our way to the port without any problems. On the way back we were picked up promptly, however the Bus we were riding in developed problems and we had to switch busses. The Driver dropped us off at our Car, which we appreciated.

Room Tip: There is one Building with more than one Floor and it has inside Corridors. If we had to stay here a...
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is fairly dated, but our room was nice. It more than met my expectations of a comfort inn. The location is excellent, I could see the ocean from my balcony and very short walk to beach. The front desk both day and night shifts were very helpful and friendly. My cudos go to brendan who checked us in. He was very friendly and welcoming. If I had one negative it would be that the iron is attached to the ironing board, made it very difficult to iron

• Stayed September 2012
Gillette, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is definitely not a top-of-the-line hotel, but it was a great place to spend a few nights before and after our vacation. We booked two rooms in mid-September and used the "Park, Shuttle, and Cruise" program to get us back and forth from our cruise ship. It is located right on Cocoa Beach, which is nice if you want to catch some rays and take in the ocean view. Plus, the shuttle service was EXCELLENT - it was quick, pleasant, and on time. The staff at the Comfort Inn was amazing. They were more than accomodating when we asked for information about local attractions, and they went out of their way to make sure we had a pleasant stay. The breakfast buffet was probably the best I've seen for a middle-of-the-road hotel. The place was clean, quiet, comfortable, and well-maintained. We especially enjoyed the pool and hot tub, and we took advantage of the free drink coupons at the on-site bar, where my husband sang Karaoke with some of the locals. Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are poolside, but ask for a free upgrade to a suite, if available.
Clearfield, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We (myself, wife and 2 girls) stayed here in early may to visit some family and take a day for ourself at the beach. The Staff was great, very polite and always someone asking how our stay was going. All the on property amenities were very clean and seemed well taken care of (good to see that kind of pride taken in this day and age) The morning breakfast was delicious and made my girls think that we were at a fancy resturant, guess we dont get out enough. The only down side was the room we stayed in was ground level, so not so much of a great view and I actually could hear some outside conversations which were not for kids ears, but I'm not here to censor anyones speech and I'm sure I've probably been on the opposite side of this statement. Thinking about staying again in NOV for our anniversay just wish we could afford to stay in the tower suites that have the great view. All in all a great experience and a great place to stay, definetly would recommend staying to anyone.

Room Tip: If you can afford it stay in the suites, for the best view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
davespain, Owner at Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanside Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you Andrew. I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed Cocoa Beach and your stay with us. When you decide to come back check with us to see if we are running any specials. At certain times we have great rates on the ocean view suites in the tower. See you then.
Southern Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We arrived at Comfort Inn on Sept 8th, 2012 before our cruise and used their "Park, Shuttle and Cruise" program. We have stayed here 2-3 times before and have sent at least a dozen more people down to stay here. We have never had any issues, even when our party of 12 had all stayed and did the shuttle to the port a couple of years ago. This visit was a bit disappointing because we arrived in Cocoa Beach about 3:30pm, knowing check in was not until 4:00pm we thought we would go ahead and at least park there and take the short walk to the beach, Ron Jon's, etc. We went into the desk and there were a few people in line already checking in. When Brenden; (I believe was his name) at the desk got to us he told us the early shuttles to the Port were already full. REALLY?! Already?! Check in's shouldn't even had started yet. I had already been warned by the cruise message boards not to get onto a shuttle after 12:00 because the lines at the port would be CRAZY. Anyhow, he said he would get us on the 11:30 shuttle so I thought we would be ok. My husband and I were given immediate access to the room so we dropped off our luggage and went to McDonald's, which is right across the street, then headed to the beach. This hotel is in a pretty good location, everything is within walking distance.... CVS, Walgreen's, Fast Food restaurants, IHOP, and the beach is down the road but not too hard to get to.
After we got wore out we went back to the hotel and checked out of room a bit more. It is an older hotel but the room was clean, smelled fresh and had everything we needed. Our room had a microwave, dishes, toaster, small refrig, etc. Most of the hotel staff we encountered were friendly. The hotel has a lot of things to do like the pool, shuffle board, etc. We were just there to rest up before our 7 night cruise so we didn't do much.
The next morning about 8:00am we went to the breakfast in the lobby that is included. The food was great as always, though the lady working was not very personable she did a pretty good job of keeping food stocked and keeping the area clean. Her polo shirt she was wearing was soaking wet on the front so she must of been working hard. This hotel has the "do it yourself" waffle machines, eggs, sausage, cereal, fruits, milk, juice, coffee, etc. A pretty good breakfast and the room they serve breakfast in is huge so getting a table was not a problem as it is in some hotels.
Then, the problems begin.... we started talking to a table beside us who said they had heard this hotel had issues in getting everyone to the Port on time, I said that we had stayed there before and had several friends/family that we have sent down here and no one ever had that problem that I was aware of. I told them, not to worry, the ship wouldn't leave without us and they said they too had wanted to get to the port, sooner rather than later, just in case of any problems because they had a child in their party that they were bringing on their cruise that had a different last name than the parents and they were afraid checking into the cruise would cause them some delays. They said they asked the girl working the desk at the hotel for an earlier shuttle and she changed their time for them. I thought, maybe we should try and do that as well, since the young man the night before told us they were already booked maybe something changed. We went and asked and they said they had room for us on a 11:00 shuttle so that was a little better. (or so we thought) What we found out was that for some reason the shuttle missed a couple of it's morning runs and was running behind. There were lots of people standing outside still waiting to get to the Port. We were told that this hotel subcontracts the shuttle out so it's out of their hands. While we were waiting for over an hour; many taxi's came around as were willing to take us on to the port with an additional cost. When the shuttle finally came; of course not everyone would fit on it so several people, even after paying for the Park, Shuttle, Cruise package went on and paid a taxi to get to the Port. Those on the shuttle were cramped in and some had to stand up but we got there. I don't know if eventually the shuttle went back to pick up more Comfort Inn guests or not but I knew the shuttle wasn't just for this hotel. The driver was stressed and handled things the best he could I guess but there were not very many happy Comfort Inn guests waiting outside of the hotel and many did not tip the driver who worked really hard getting everyone's luggage in the back carrier and maybe the delays were not even his fault. We tipped him well because he really was trying to do the best he could.

Several people were talking and said that the whole shuttle issue really ruined their stay at Comfort Inn, they thought that the staff at the hotel could do a better job of getting a big enough shuttle or should have started taking people there themselves when the first shuttle started to run behind. There was a man and a woman that must of worked for the shuttle company at the hotel outside trying to get a handle on the situation but they ignored questions and were not at all helpful. There was no place for people to sit and wait and I think that would of been nice especially for the older people.
We got to the port about 12:25pm I believe and yes there was a long line but we were on board in the Windjammer eating a snack by 1:30 so it all worked out. We are Crown and Anchor members and had a priority line so that did make things run a bit quicker.
After the cruise was over the shuttle was right there and it was no problems at all. We were off the ship and onto the shuttle by 7:00am. We had the same driver as we did before and he was helpful and handled our luggage for us so therefore got a nice tip :)
Overall, A friend of mine asked if we would still recommend this hotel and I said I really did not know. I don't know how the other hotels in Cocoa Beach handle their Park, Shuttle, Cruise programs, but in other area's we have cruised out of the hotel shuttle's were always well ran and we never stressed about anything. At this Comfort Inn with overbooking of the shuttle problem and also the fact that you have to park your vehicle down the road in an empty lot without any type of security is somewhat scary. We have heard that some people has had issues when they have returned to their vehicle though we never have, I think we will stay someplace else next spring and see how a different hotel does things and hopefully this Comforf Inn will get their shuttle program running a bit better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
davespain, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanside Port Canaveral Area, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hi Lisa. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a thorough review
and deeply regret that on this day, you experienced less than perfect
service from our transportation provider. As you may or may not know, we
have a new cruise terminal - Cruise Terminal #6. It just opened and this
change unfortunately impacted the quality of service for all the
transportation providers in our community. While you didn't embark out of
Cruise Terminal #6, its opening impacted the service for those guests
embarking out of Terminal #10 and Cruise Terminal #5. From talking with
others, working out the logistics for its first days were a nightmare. It
appears with use and improvements, that our service providers and others are
working out the logistics and the quality of service. In fact, just last
week, the Canaveral Port Authority authorized the spending of funds for
adding drop-off lanes and other logistical projects to ensure an improved
service for our cruise guests.

Please know that we strive hard to ensure all guests have a great
experience, especially with our cruise guests. Our cruise guest check-in
procedure is to schedule their port transfer upon check-in on a first come &
first serve basis. Also our guest service agents have to take into account
the number of reservations given out for a certain pick-up time based upon
the shuttle size. So for those busy cruise days, some of our guests aren't
able to take the first shuttle time to their Cruise Terminal and are
scheduled for a later time. I'm glad to hear that you were able to board
quickly and have a great lunch on board.

Lisa, again, thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us.
Please know that your feedback is important, it allows us to continually
improve our Comfort Inn & Suites and our service. And thank you for staying
with us and hope to see you again soon.

Michelle Martindale, Director of Sales
SouthWest Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

For a long weekend, I basically went eeny, meenie, miny, mo with my computer mouse. I needed a room for 5. I selected this place without doing my usual research. Maybe I should do this more often because this place was pretty much what I needed for two adults and three kids. The hotel is not directly on the ocean, but is a very easy walk to it. Nice landscaping, pool, friendly staff and close to the dinosaur store, as well as walking distance to decent eateries. The only negative is the bar/lounge - very smokey and, sorry, pretty gross behind the bar area - the wood below the walk-in cooler is moldy looking and extremely unsightly. We had free drink coupons and gave them away. This was the only negative and it is surprising the management hasn't corrected this because it is out of character for the rest of the resort. Oh, one very nice positive; there is a decent breakfast included each morning.

Room Tip: Room 510 had a nice view of the ocean and a water view on the opposite side (as well as buildings, p...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Believe me I read this review this morning and have my staff addressing the issue you point out in the bar. It will be corrected before the day is out. Frankly, I don't know how this could have gone unnoticed on our part but you have my word it won't go unnoticed in the future. Thank you taking the time to bring this to my attention. I'm glad your stay was otherwise wonderful and we look forward to seeing you return soon.

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanside Port Canaveral Area? Share your experiences!