Wow, has this place gone down hill since my last stay here about 2 years ago! I arrived here just before Midnight late Saturday night, got checked in right away and the woman at the front desk was very nice. My room was in one of the buildings near the rear of the property on the second floor (no elevators are available, luckily I packed light for this trip). Upon entering the room, I was pretty flabbergasted. Have you ever entered a hotel room and said "My God, this is one of those places that's bound to be infested with bugs!", just because of the sketchy appearance of the place?
I turned on the lights to have a look around and saw lots of dark scuff marks on nearly every wall in the room, huge rust marks on the wall next to the door where lots of rust had blown off the door hinges over the years and stuck to the wall, an empty holder for an iron and ironing board, with no iron or board in sight, a bath tub with paint marks in some places, paint missing in others and an odd ooze of what looked like rust running down the inside of the bath tub. The beds and furniture were in relatively good condition, but the bed sheets and bed skirts looked like crumpled crepe paper because they had so many wrinkles in them!
I then went out to check on the hot tub situation, as I was hoping for a nice soak after my 4 hour drive from Miami. All the way out to the pool area, I was struck at how filthy and tired everything looked. Sidewalks had lots of old water stains, large areas of missing paint and black scuff marks on them. Covers on the A/C units for the rooms were bent and missing chips of paint in some places, etc. I found that the pool and hot tubs shut down at 11 p.m. However, it appears the security screen around the door locks of the pool area and hot tubs had been broken into by past guests, so I put on my swim suit, ran back out to the hot tub, slipped my hand through the area where the metal grate had been snapped open by a past guest and went in and had a nice soak.
In all, this hotel gets 1 star. Not because it's an older and somewhat dated hotel; I knew that going in and I've stayed in other hotels from this same era with no problem. However, those other properties were at least well maintained. Since I stayed at this property last time, this place has been allowed to become run down and deteriorate. Seriously, how much would it cost to grab a few high school kids looking for work during their breaks and give them a few gallons of paint to touch up the rooms and the walls and sidewalks around this place? Or how about a few shots with a pressure washer every once in a while?
The only highlight of this trip was the friendliness I experienced from the guests and the staff. Nearly every guest I passed spoke to me, which is something I'm not used to but found refreshing. Also, on my first night here I was thirsty and wanted a bottle of water at about 12:45 a.m. and the only bills I had were $20, too large for the Coke machines. I went to the front desk to get change and found the front desk attendant and a maintenance staff sitting out in front of the lobby smoking. As I approached, she asked what I needed. When I explained, she told me they had no change and I thought she said she had no access to cash after 11p.m. The maintenance guy opened his wallet and explained that he didn't have change for a $20, but that a guest offered him a $2 tip earlier that night, and he gave me his tip money. I was blown away to be honest, I took his name (Chris) and promised to leave something for him at the front desk the next day, which I did. Obviously I gave him some extra because his gesture was so kind and more than most would have offered to do! Housekeeping staff the next morning was also very friendly.
Incidentally, regardless of my first impression I never saw any bugs or insects of any kind while here. That being said, this stay at this property was my last.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Listen to the soothing waves of the Atlantic Ocean & sink your toes into our white sand beach at the oceanfront Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach Florida Hotel, the finest in Cocoa Beach accommodations. Soak up the sun at our Cocoa Beach Florida resort as you relax beside the largest hotel pool in Cocoa Beach. Kids will have an adventure in our kid-friendly Pirate Ship themed pool. Oh, the choices to make, white sand and boogie boards or wacky water cannons! Adventure seekers will love the challenge of many onsite water sport activities including surfing lessons. The best of Cocoa Beach is just outside your Cocoa Beach, FL, hotel room or one of many spacious suites. Connection to the business world is never far with complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access. The only decision you will need to make is business suit or bathing suit . This spacious oceanfront hotel in Cocoa Beach Fl is located only 7 miles from Port Canaveral and 17 miles from Kennedy Space Center. While in town be sure to visit Ron Jon s Surf Shop, historic Cocoa Village, the Brevard Zoo or many of the Central Florida theme parks. All are a short drive away. Look no further for a hotel in Cocoa Beach, Florida. Paradise is a click away! The Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach Oceanfront Resort hotel is the best choice for your Cocoa Beach lodging.Florida resident discounts are available You must be 21 or older to check in! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TravelClick, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline, Otel and Venere so you can book your International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach Hotel Cocoa Beach
- International Palms Resort And Conference Center Cocoa Beach
- Cocoa Beach Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach Florida