“Dated and Tired Looking, Not Well Maintained” 2 of 5 stars
Review of International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach

Save Saved
You added International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach to your Saves list
International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1300 N Atlantic Ave, Cocoa Beach, FL 32931   |
Ranked #22 of 33 hotels in Cocoa Beach
Pennsylvania
“Dated and Tired Looking, Not Well Maintained”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Wow, has this place gone down hill since my last stay here about 2 years ago! I arrived here just before Midnight late Saturday night, got checked in right away and the woman at the front desk was very nice. My room was in one of the buildings near the rear of the property on the second floor (no elevators are available, luckily I packed light for this trip). Upon entering the room, I was pretty flabbergasted. Have you ever entered a hotel room and said "My God, this is one of those places that's bound to be infested with bugs!", just because of the sketchy appearance of the place?

I turned on the lights to have a look around and saw lots of dark scuff marks on nearly every wall in the room, huge rust marks on the wall next to the door where lots of rust had blown off the door hinges over the years and stuck to the wall, an empty holder for an iron and ironing board, with no iron or board in sight, a bath tub with paint marks in some places, paint missing in others and an odd ooze of what looked like rust running down the inside of the bath tub. The beds and furniture were in relatively good condition, but the bed sheets and bed skirts looked like crumpled crepe paper because they had so many wrinkles in them!

I then went out to check on the hot tub situation, as I was hoping for a nice soak after my 4 hour drive from Miami. All the way out to the pool area, I was struck at how filthy and tired everything looked. Sidewalks had lots of old water stains, large areas of missing paint and black scuff marks on them. Covers on the A/C units for the rooms were bent and missing chips of paint in some places, etc. I found that the pool and hot tubs shut down at 11 p.m. However, it appears the security screen around the door locks of the pool area and hot tubs had been broken into by past guests, so I put on my swim suit, ran back out to the hot tub, slipped my hand through the area where the metal grate had been snapped open by a past guest and went in and had a nice soak.

In all, this hotel gets 1 star. Not because it's an older and somewhat dated hotel; I knew that going in and I've stayed in other hotels from this same era with no problem. However, those other properties were at least well maintained. Since I stayed at this property last time, this place has been allowed to become run down and deteriorate. Seriously, how much would it cost to grab a few high school kids looking for work during their breaks and give them a few gallons of paint to touch up the rooms and the walls and sidewalks around this place? Or how about a few shots with a pressure washer every once in a while?

The only highlight of this trip was the friendliness I experienced from the guests and the staff. Nearly every guest I passed spoke to me, which is something I'm not used to but found refreshing. Also, on my first night here I was thirsty and wanted a bottle of water at about 12:45 a.m. and the only bills I had were $20, too large for the Coke machines. I went to the front desk to get change and found the front desk attendant and a maintenance staff sitting out in front of the lobby smoking. As I approached, she asked what I needed. When I explained, she told me they had no change and I thought she said she had no access to cash after 11p.m. The maintenance guy opened his wallet and explained that he didn't have change for a $20, but that a guest offered him a $2 tip earlier that night, and he gave me his tip money. I was blown away to be honest, I took his name (Chris) and promised to leave something for him at the front desk the next day, which I did. Obviously I gave him some extra because his gesture was so kind and more than most would have offered to do! Housekeeping staff the next morning was also very friendly.

Incidentally, regardless of my first impression I never saw any bugs or insects of any kind while here. That being said, this stay at this property was my last.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend staying here unless they put some serious time into cleaning and upgrading...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Jim M, Director of Sales at International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Sir: very sorry...glad the staff recovered well for you; glad you encountered happy guests, which should mean than many were satisfied with their overall stay as well....NOW for us to get to the massive job of getting to property upgrades, which is alot more than just a few high school kids, but rest assured, we are mindful and are working on it TODAY>

1,566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Casselberry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I just wanted to comment on the hotel after reading other reviews. The reviews were helpful. I went in thinking that this hotel would be a mistake. We got to the hotel for check-in. One of the 2 rooms were ready. So we checked into the family suite. The room was clean, not air conditioner or refrigerator issues. The kid area was a bit small but my 2 eight year olds were happy with the sleep arrangements.
You could hear both TVs but because of the reviews we brought a device that lets the kids listen to the TV with headphones. You will likely not view TV much, there are many things to do. The kids had the kiddie pool, the large heated pool, and the volleyball and basketball court. The grounds were well maintained. The staff were all friendly and courteous. The restaurants were all reasonably priced and the food was good. It was a great trip. I would visit this hotel again. Please look for discounted rates. We booked 2 rooms. One though booking.com (Confirmed a room at 130.00). We book the other though easyclicktravel (Great rate of 55.00). Some rooms are newly renovated, the family suite was not. Still a good value at 130 and a great deal at 55.

Room Tip: Ask for newly renovated rooms. If you want to minimize noise, ask for room opposite pool area. Take...
Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We booked this RESORT using a well known site in which you have the option of booking a "4 star" in a certain area but you just don't know what it is until it is confirmed. We thought, why not if it is a "4 star". BAD IDEA!

We arrived late and to be honest we were a bit skeptical when we first saw the lobby. We went to our room and was absolutely horrified! While on the way to our room we noticed that it was more of a motel style than a hotel. The breezeways or open halls going to the stairs had garbage in them and there was some leakage from somewhere. We even noted that one room had a mattress leaning up against one of the walls in one of the rooms. We arrived to our room to find no towels, no full bedding (ie. no bed spread that they so proudly depict in their photos); we checked the bed because we had viewed a review of a woman showing her bed here which had crawling bed bugs . Again, we were horrified to find the mattress was an old blue one - so old looking that the stitching was stained yellow in places! It was the kind you often find tossed in dumpsters in shady alleys!

We then went to the reception desk and spoke to an middle aged blonde woman who must have told me about a dozen times that if I wanted a refund then I'd have to go through the particular site we used to book the room. She did kindly offer to let us see another room that we were told was recently renovated. Security had to come with us of course. We were then met by a unhealthy looking female - we thought security(????). We then asked her if this place was safe and she replied that it was completely safe. This was followed by "I have worked her for two weeks!". On the way to the room we noticed some people loitering outside of their rooms who were unruly and well less desirable. We looked at the room and we were both surprised to see that IT was a renovated room! I always admit that we are perhaps a couple of snobs - in the sense that we expect a proper CLEAN ROOM that we would recommend to our friends! After again noticing no towels and walls that looked that they had not been painted we decided to go back to the reception area.

We declined the alleged upgrade and again I was met with being told to go through the site I used to reserve the room to expect any kind of refund. To be honest, I didn't care about a refund - we would rather be out of pocket then stay at this MOTEL (which used to be a Holiday Inn) .

In the time that we spent at the reception desk we saw a group of nice women who were in the same boat we were and were also horrified and didn't want to stay but had no choice for the night. We heard them tell the front desk people they needed towels. In fact, we witnessed at least 5 other people in a about a total of 30 minutes complain of no towels!

What we found strange was that at no time did the manager wish to even speak with us despite the staff member going back and forth between us and the manager. To us, a manager SHOULD want to address concerns. What was also funny was that the staff member we were dealing with didn't even want to defend the place and certainly didn't seem surprised that we were horrified with our room.

This is one of those places where it looks better in pictures and the name makes it sound better than it is! Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else - we did!

We wish that we had taken pictures of our "room" but sorry we didn't because we didn't want to drag our bags out of the car before checking the room out first (which is a first for us!). We got the pictures after the fact!

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here then ask to see the room FIRST then decide.
Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I just stayed here for 5 nights since our daughter's high school softball team had a tournament nearby. We prepaid since it was a large group, or I would have left the first night!! The rooms look old and the mattresses are worn out. We were in a "renovated section", but I'm really not sure I believe that! The maids made the beds daily, but were unable to leave towels since they didn't have any. Now come on, what hotel doesn't have enough towels for their guests! The kids didn't mind the place since it had a basketball court, volleyball court, big pool, and located right by the beach. If management cared about this hotel, they could overcome the physical limitations of the older rooms by having supplies and friendlier front desk personnel!! I will NOT stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2012
Jim M, Director of Sales at International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Sorry to hear of your disappointment - as we love hosting teams and were quite busy with alot of them this spring and already looking to an active Fall of tournaments; and, for anyone here for such an extended stay, we are very adept at responding and recovering IF we are made aware of any shortcomings.
Glad the kids did like all the amenities and the space and be FULLY ASSURED FOLKS - we do have plenty of towels...
in fact - a nother shipment just arrived yesterday.

The conflicting headling here about Management gives me some pause, as our Management team is very alert to our property, its pluses and its minuses - so rest assured readers - we are working daily to gain your trust, to respond and to ensure everyone has a memorable stay.
Morgantown, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Location was perfect, but that was it. We got there early and the room wasn't ready, they gave us a pool pass and said it would be about an hour. Four hours later they said my newly renovated room was ready. I got to my room and it was a dump; water stains on ceiling, tiolet didn't work, hair dryer didn't work, and the phone didn't work. I had to use my cell phone to call front desk, they said they would give me a new room. New room was also very dated, but everything worked. They were very under staffed, cleaning was hit and miss. I would never stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
WOW, sorry we dropped the ball here...
Early check ins are very hard to accommodate - will be honest with everyone here..with such a large property, to turn the rooms over and be ready for the 4pm checkin time IS the daily intent, so to help us all and spare any frustration on your part, please plan accordingly and /or call in advance and inquire about the status of the rooms and then plan accordingly.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had so much fun swimming in the heated olympic sized pool and the kids water park. The hot tub was exceptionally nice for me when I woke up before the kids. It litterally took me 2 minutes to get my feet in the sand on the beach from my hotel room and the dining was good too. All in all, the place needs updating, but it is a great place to stay and have sun and fun with the kids.

Room Tip: Next time we'll be staying in the updated Surf Side tower rooms over looking the beach. I heard...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for a positive and very accurate assessment of our property and of our attributes and of the areas that we are consistently working on to make upgraded improvements.
ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We did not enjoy our stay here at all. The food at the breakfast buffet was terrible. We decided to try their "beachfront restaurant" and it was even worse. We ordered 3 smoothies for our kids and 2 strawberry daqueries for me and my wife and received a bill for $70 dollars. We were horrified! The room in which we stayed should have been renovated 20 years ago. We asked to upgrade our room after our 1st sleepless night. We were told we could and we were quoted $140 for the upgraded room. After 2 nights in the upgraded room, I stopped at the front desk just to find out they were billing us $260 per night. The desk clerks were very rude to us and refused to reimburse us. What a miserable experience. We will never return, nor would we recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Jim M, Director of Sales at International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Rest assured, I am researching this one..as the breakfast buffet - which I eat at daily is quite extensive and very, very pleasing; we get rave reviews on our Mambos menus - our oceanfront restaurant from guests and locals....but I am going to look into the drink tab which does sound excessive and the interaction with our staff seems out of proportion as well - as they are all empowered to react and recover.
Sorry if in fact this was your experience - as our track record has been trending to be much more positive.

Been to International Palms Resort & Conference Center Cocoa Beach? Share your experiences!