“Excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nice
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel doesn't look better then average, but it is. The room was large, very clen and the beds were the best I've been sleeping in for ages!
Service was good (checkin in less than a minute, checkout same!). Breakfast was average (so called "continental") and the swinning pool is outside, even if it has a sort of a roof, it's in the open and it was really cold that night, so unsuable.

Room Tip: I'd favour the room looking at the Ocean (although, there is no real ocean view). The ones in th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was amazed at how nice this hotel was. The check in staff was very kind and friendly. The rooms were spacious and comfy. The hallways of this hotel smell wonderful...I'm certain I've never said that about any hotel before! The pool was really great - shaded with "frescos" on the covered wall and outdoor ceiling. Surprisingly nice for a Holiday Inn...we enjoyed having breakfast by the pool. We stayed before our cruise and appreciated being able to walk to the very nice Publix next door to stock up before our cruise. Great stay and super convenient to the cruise terminal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We left a Holiday Inn in St. Augustine but forgot to empty our dressers completely. After arriving in Cocoa Beach we went to the Holiday Inn on Atlantic AVE. There we met David who tried to contact unsuccessfully on the Internet so he insisted that we use his personal phone to call back.We eventually located the right Holiday Inn and were able to secure our clothes , cruise tickets etc.. David would not accept money for the long distance calls but stated that since.we are priority members at the Holiday Inns we are FAMILY and thus we will be treated like his family and he would do anything to help us . We are very grateful to David for his wonderful help.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntingdon, Cambs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The room is well equipped with good beds, TV’s, fridge, microwave, desk and a small but usable lounge doubling as a second bedroom. It was clean enough but not perfect. Breakfast is a self-service buffet of pre-prepared items and is surprisingly good. The pool is outdoor but sheltered by being under part of the hotel and is functional rather than special.

The staff are friendly and efficient and the reception area is well laid out to fit in a waiting area, breakfast area and reception surrounding an impressive fountain without looking overly cramped.

The location is midway between Cocoa Beach to the east (very near the disappointing Cocoa Beach Pier) and the splendid Intracoastal Waterway to the west, both being within easy walking distance. An excellent Publix is virtually next door. There is a laundry, gym, vending machines for sodas, snacks and ice and wifi is free although it failed during our stay.

Only two gripes. Noise from the lift, air conditioning and fridge effected sleep. And check in is a little like hiring a car where you have to initial five different items and then sign. I guess there are still some people who smoke in non-smoking rooms or cause damage etc and its reasonable they are expected to bear responsibility but do initials against each item really make any difference to redress? Other chains seem to cope without this imposition and it merely suggests to me that they do suffer problems with unruly people and have an overzealous legal department.

As a relatively low cost alternative, this hotel does all the basics well and adds some nice touches (bottle of water on arrival, plastic cutlery provided, good collection of bathroom items). Whilst it’s not a spectacular hotel, it was a good choice.

Room Tip: High but away from the lifts
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very bad experience. I attempted to check in at 1:45pm with my 3 year old son after driving 800 miles. I gave my name and politely asked and hoped that our room would be ready. The response was a snarl, and I was told rooms are not available until 3pm, no matter who you are. Numerous other guests hanging out in the parking lot while waiting for their rooms had the same experience with this clerk that I did.

I would have cancelled the reservation, but other family members were staying across the street and relatives lived in a condo 2 block away. I returned at 2:57pm to inquire about the status of our room, the agent did not acknowledge me until exactly 3pm. Her response was "I was just getting ready to call you, we have your room ready early!"

Room 402 was filthy. The bathroom and tub area smelled of mold so badly it was unusable. Water had clearly been leaking into the walls behind the shower panels, because the walls were weak and could be pushed in with minimal force. The area was filled with bright pink mold. There are ceiling vent fans in the closet area that run 24/7. The intakes at that fan and the one in the bathroom were clogged with dust.

I thought it would be best to run the AC unit at full cold and it would ventilate and dry the room out. This was a mistake, as every time the unit started, it spewed mold and mildew smell all over the bed area. My son and I both developed breathing problems the second day of our stay that lasted for 5 days. The hotel was supposedly "sold out" and there were no rooms to move to.

The carpets in the room and hallways are dated, stained, and filthy.

Parking is terrible. If you arrive after 6pm, you have the spots near shady and dimly streets. The lot was full and had no place to park one night.

The bedroom door was broken and could not be latched shut. The microwave had a mismatched glass tray which tipped and spilled the milk I was warming for my son.

Renovations done to the rooms were done cheaply and with low skill labor. They look like crap. Like Grandma said...you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop.

Holiday Inn needs to find an open parcel and build a new hotel in this area. The cruise ship terminal and Port Canaveral are just starting to get huge.

This place is not up to IHG standards and should not have the franchise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aliso Viejo, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel is located a very quick walk from the beach, pier, and is near shopping and restaurants. I parked my car at check in and didnt need it until check out the next day because everything I needed was within walking distance.

At check in the staff was super nice and made me feel like an old friend returning for a visit even though I have never been there before. The rooms were clean and fresh with good WIFI speed. I chose this hotel because of its location as it related to my business trip and I could'nt have made a better choice.

Good Job HI Express!

Room Tip: I had a room that faced the back of the hotel. I would think that a front facing room would have a p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise. I loved that this hotel was located next to a Publix grocery store. We were able to purchase some last minute items for our cruise such as soda, snacks ect. Also loved that we were within walking distance to the beach. We would have loved to have enjoyed the beach but it was raining, windy and cold. For supper we walked to Beef O Brady's which is right next to Publix. Very good food, lots to choose from! In the morning we walked to Dunkin Donuts but some of our group did enjoy the hotel's continental breakfast. Our hotel room was at the end of the hallway and was very quiet! The bed was super comfy and I loved the bedding. The rooms were all a nice size and had nice amenities. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained. I would definitely return to this hotel if we were in the area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cocoa Beach? Share your experiences!