“Very Dirty, Poor Service and Bad Food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Merritt Island, Florida
“Very Dirty, Poor Service and Bad Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The place is in need of upgrading. Great piece of real estate at the end of 520 - right on the beach. Shame they don't put some money into it. Can't believe that some of it actually passes codes. Service is not good at all.

Norcross, Georgia
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place could be a jewel but is very dated. We went twice in a week because my DH loved the place. The deck is great and we had a fantastic server on our first visit. Fresh caught Grouper. DH loved it. I had grilled shrimp that was tasty and plentiful. The meal is served with a loaf of warm dark rye that was very good but would be better with real butter, but only served with margarine.
We had the crab cakes for appetizers. Very nice and good sauce on the side.
Second visit: I had stuff shrimp with crab. It was pretty greasy and not too good. The shrimp wasn't as fresh as the first visit. DH had ribs and really enjoyed it. Fall off the bone, combination of sweet/smokey/spicy.
If the place was spruced up, this would be fantastic. The location is great, we were greated with enthusiasm, but seeing the place so empty, it sure made me wary at first. They are trying, but won't last much longer if the place isn't cleaned up with a fresh decor, clean bathrooms and a bit more flourish and consistency with the food prep.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frye Island, Maine
“Hard to believe its still exist”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We live in Florida and traveled to the area (Cocoa Beach) for a half day trip. My parents were looking for a spot to have a nice cool drink along with a good ocean view. Unfortunately we had lunch here several years ago and the experience wasn't good at all & it didn't change one bit!! They ordered a small appetizer and thought it was going to be good, but it was the exact opposite! Judging by our experience, it's a "once and done" restaurant! Have no idea why it's still in business never-mind serving food..

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Back from my yearly month in Cocoa Beach and I have been to Captain J's several time but never to eat, so will not comment on the food but I always go to the upperdeck in the afternoon for a few drinks and this year I will comment...

Sometimes the service is good and other times the waitress as better things to do like talking on her cellular instead of taking care of business and doing her job which is anoying, like she does not care, and I should not all, but some...

I am not saying it is a bad place and I will not go again because I will go and enjoy the upper deck because for a few drinks in the afternoon while enjoying the view it is very nice and like all the other bars and patio's in Cocoa Beach you will never know who you will meet, like me the guy from Gatineau, Quebec Canada, which I have been a part-time resident for 7 years now...

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cocoa Beach
“View awesome, food ok, service a bit too casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I live in Cocoa Beach and must say that the view from Capt J's upper deck is fabulous and the layout of the upper deck capitalizes on the view. I've only had the grilled shrimp, which was a bit salty. The salad and fries were much better. The staff were a bit casual w their guests, but probably a beach-thing. I had a very pleasant time and would patronize again w friends.

• Visited January 2013