“The real truth about Summer Bay in Kissimmee” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
NASHVILLE,TN
“The real truth about Summer Bay in Kissimmee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2004

We Recieved A Fantastic Deal From A Pop Up On The Internet From Celebration Vacation. We Up-Graded The Package 80.00 To Stay At Summer Bay Based On The Description Given By The Salesman. After Reading The Reviews, I Was Afraid I Had Made A Terrible Mistake. I Was Trying To Find Every Way Possible To Get My Money Back To No AVAIL.
I Am So Glad It Worked Out This Way. Where Did All These Neative VACATIONERS Come From? As My Teenagers Say "SUMMER BAY IS THE BOMB! We Were There A Week In June Of 04. They Are Still Asking If We Can Buy A Condo. ROOMS-IMMACULATE, FRONT DESK STAFF-WONDERFUL, AMENITIES-EXCELLENT. After 5 Days We Paid 28.00 In Taxes And The Couple Beside Me Paid 1,750.00 For The Exact Time. The Timeshare Tour Was A Bit Long But That Was Because There Is SOOO Much To See. Take The Tour At The Beginning Of Your Stay So You Will Know About Everything There Is To Do On The Property. The Water Park And Jet Skis Are Pricey But So Is Everything Else In FLORIDA. You Won't Have To Leave The Property If You Get A Schedule Of All The Daily Events. We Stayed In A Two Bedroom Condo That Had ULTIMATE PRIVACY. I Am Still Looking For A Way To Buy Because This Is The Only Place We Want To Stay In FLORIDA. The Couple That Paid 1,750 Spent More Than We Did On Our Entire Vacation Package Which Included Four Other Trips And One Is A Cruise. Thanks To CELEBRATION AND SUMMER BAY A Great Vacation For A Family Of 5 On A Limited Budget Is Possible. Don't Believe All The Negative Hype. You Will Have An Experience At SUMMER BAY That You Will Never Forget. HEAVEN ON EARTH!

• Stayed May 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Finnish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2004

I got the pop-up ad on the net saying I won a free all-paid vacation, and it had a DirectTV logo on it. I was already thinking about DirectTV anyway...so I called. They give you the whole tourist trap rap - but never mentioned that it did NOT include airfare. You have to sign up for a year of DirectTV to get the free vacation, and you have to give up your credit card number, your email address (I'm already getting the junk email) and home address for satellite installation, before they will give you THEIR information. No time to check them out - you lose the free vacation if you don't agree over the phone immediately. So I thought DirectTV is credible and wouldn't DARE try to scam people and lose their good reputation. So I fell for it... for a day. I started looking at the website they give you to enter my confirmation numbers. There was no address on the website for this hotel or promotion company. There was no "contact us" link, and the "About Us" link went nowhere. This made me nervous. I did happen to print the purchase letter (contract) off the website, for which you have to find the only one link that works, and the purchase letter doesn't have an address either. You cannot get the website address or access the contract or even see what the prize really is until after they have your credit card numbers. The purchase letter says you can cancel everything within 7 days, but nobody answers the phone or acknowledges your cancellation. When I finally talked to someone after holding 30 minutes, they said someone would call me back, and THEY didn't have an address, either!! THAT told me everything I needed to know! You can't put your cancellation in WRITING and send it to them because you have no address to mail it. I called DirectTV and they said they have absolutely NO affiliation with Summer Bay Resort. The promotion's DirectTV pkg. was $5 more per month MORE than what I can get from DirectTV myself. So I wrote a nasty email to the resort using their "reservations" email on their site, and I sent my written notice of cancellation, and cc'd BBB. Surprisingly I got a call back the next day....after I saw these terrible reviews, to top it all off. The man from the Resort that called me was:

M. "Eddie" Avegno, Marketing Quality Assurance
Summer Bay Resorts
Office - 1.888.742.1100 Ext:7919
Fax - 352.242.2669

He tried to accuse me of slander, and then tried very hard to convince me that the resort was credible, and that he was responsible for making customers happy. I could tell he was very frustrated. He explained that his DirectTV partner, "Direct Activation" couldn't handle the swarm of installation appointments from the pop-up promotion, and lost its license to sell DirectTV because they made installation appointments they couldn't honor. So he said he had to find another installation company. I wonder how long he knew this, cuz they still charged me for the $29.99 to ship me the sattelite equipment. I said - "They probably lost their license due to charging too much for the satellite packages! You cannot buy a franchise (like McDonald's) and charge whatever you want for the burgers!" Needless to say - my refund is taken care of (I told him I had already cancelled thru my credit card company) -- and he never mentioned slander again.
NEVER trust anyone that will not let you check them out first, even when you hear credible names like DirectTV and Disneyworld. And those other reviews that praise the resort - some of them had complete lists of activities using hotel-given titles and list all the wonderful tourist attractions in the state of Florida - sounds a little too professional, like it was written by someone in advertising. The purchase letter says you have to give up a few hours of your vacation to attend their sales seminar (every day you are there) so they can try to sell you time-share properties. If you don't attend, you lose the entire discount and the full price of everything will be charged against your credit card. I guess they figure if they got you once, they can get you again! Those perfect reviews for this resort are probably written by time-share owners that are desperate to get something back on their investment.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2004

My husband and I never had a honeymoon, so he thougth he would surprise me with one. One day a marketing salesperson called and he purchased a trip. The trip was for 5/days and 4 nights in Kissimmee/Orlando and 3/days and 2 nights in Cocoa Beach. The original price started really highlike around $500, but my husband being who he is, finally talked her down to $99. That's $99 for the entire trip! I thought wow, this is cool that we will be staying on the property (Summer Bay). Well when we got there of course we couldn't stay at Summer Bay but instead they put us up in another hotel several miles away. The hotel wasn't that bad. We did however receive a $50 certificate to Red Lobster and 2 Universal Studios Park tickets after we completed the timeshare presentation. Any sales pitch for timeshares will be high pressure, no if's, and's or but's about it. We finally finished the presentation after 3 1/2 hours. We were going to go to the parks but it rained there the whole time. So we found someone who would buy the park tickets for $100 at a McDonald's near a Sleep Inn. We found a new hustle. We must have gone on at least 4 or 5 differnt timeshare tours while we were there and made $100 each time selling the tickets. Like I said, it rained the whole time we were there and what else are you going to do. When it was time to go to Cocoa Beach, boy were we disappointed. Not only was the staff/management at the Best Western (where you will stay) rude but the property was poor. We were supposed to have 5 star accommodations instead we were put in the motel part. They say that because they are owned by the same company and the towers are 5 star so the motel part takes on that rating too. I thought BS. It was sub-standard accommodations at best. I was very disappointed. The only good thing was that the timeshare tour in Cocoa Beach wasn't nearly as high pressure as the one in Kissimmee. We were offered 2 free dinners at a nice restaurant with no limit. So of course we ordered prime rib and lobster. The marketing company did follow through on some of their promises, but the accommodations is where they make the switches. My suggestion is when they call you keep them on the phone as long as you can and try to talk them down on the price. My husband was on the phone so long that the tape ran out. This was in August 2001 so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

Hagerstown, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

We just returned from a 1 week stay at Summerbay. Our 1-bedroom condo was fully furnished and was clean and well-kept. Our unit included a washer/dryer, so exchanging towels was not necessary. The bathroom had a jacuzzi style tub.
The staff was incredible. Everyone was so polite and helpful. Being without a rental car was also no problem. The resort provides a free shuttle bus that will take you to the grocery store and Denny's. Both are actually within walking distance, but it helped to have a ride when shopping for a full weeks' worth of groceries! There is also a free Disney Shuttle that will take you to the major Disney parks. For a nominal fee ($10) a shuttle will take you to SeaWorld or for $13 to Universal. This is round-trip fare.
Since we did not have a vehicle and wanted to do some souveniour shopping (without paying an arm and a leg at the Disney parks), we simply took the free resort shuttle to the Publix grocery store. From there, you can ride the Lynx bus (55 West) for $1.25. It took us down the touristy section of Hwy 192. There were numerous restaurants and bargain stores selling the same Orlando/Disney souveniours for a fraction of the cost!
The property itself has numerous pools, a tiki bar with live entertainment and a lake. The grounds were very well kept.
Upon checking in, you will be approached by the timeshare sales reps offering your family a free breakfast or lunch and discounted Disney tickets. After firmly refusing, I did receive a telephone call to my unit the following day telling me the offer was still good. I refused again and was not bothered again for the rest of the week.
Our family had a fantastic time at Summer Bay. My 13 year old son enjoyed the Teen Nite Pool Party and the various activities at the recreation room.
Beware of the onsite convenience store, however. Their prices are outrageous! $4 for a can of soup! The Publix grocery store is the best way to stock up for your needs.
I realize there are several negative reviews posted on this site. However, my family truly enjoyed our stay at Summer Bay and would go again.

Louisville Ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

First of all I have read several reviews and anytime you buy your vacation thru a timeshare sales please read the fine print. Several different companies handle these things, not the resort. We paid to stay at the resort. I made sure of this during the call. It did cost extra to stay there and not the hotel. Per another writter when we went a holiday Inn was being used but the resort is not in charge of where you stay. We have went on vacations this way several times and one should not except A+ rooms. Your there to view a timeshare. And we have always had to pay all taxes on our rooms. Some companies are good and some are not so good. Just make the best of your vacation. The unit was in an older part of the resort, but we were there on a special deal. We had a 1BR and we had to walk a ways to the pool but that was okay. Our kids loved the pool area and lake. I do agree that 10.00 a day for the lake is a bit much but we paid it and the kids played all day. We also rented a boat and our little one enjoyed that a lot. They had a bar and music at the pool and you could buy food there. Didnt need to go out anywhere during the day and with kids that's a good thing. Everything was clean and peaceful and we had a very nice time and are looking at staying at the resort again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2004

Just got back after a 10 days vacations and let me tell you our 2 bedroom condo was great. It was large,clean and great design. The location was great(you will need a rental car).

The place was great with great service..

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2004

i bought 5 nights from a sales call. $50 per night in a 2 bedroom condo.
trying to confirm my reservation wa terrible, on hold for many times for up to an hour.
rooms were clean and decent furniture. plenty of towells, blankets and pillows.
resort was great. nice kiddie interactive pool area, 2 nice adult pools with hot tubs then the club house has a very nice pool with large hot tub, just 10 feet from a sandy beach on a 60 acre lake with many slides and climbing things. nice water activities at the resort. also basketball, 2 tennis courts, movie rentals and many other things.
sales tour was the usual, " your a loser if you don't buy today" kind of stuff.
this is not a 5 star resort but an incredible deal for $50 per night. I would pay more and still be satisfied.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
#5 of 17 in Clermont
4.0 of 5 stars 181 reviews
Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!