“Horrible and deceptive marketing practices” 1 of 5 stars

You added Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts to your Saves list
Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Horrible and deceptive marketing practices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2004

This company is misleading customers of DirecTV by offering a 4 day, 3 night stay at Summer Bay Resorts, along with a 2 day, 2 night stay at either Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach, with a Discovery Cruise featuring a 2 night stay in the Grand Bahamas. When I contacted DirecTV, I was informed that this is not an authorized or endorsed marketing campaign. Further, the customer service representatives were rude and insulting when I requested a refund. This is outright fraud and I am reporting this to the Attorney General of the State of Florida and the Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Agriculture. I am sure that Disney will also be interested in receiving my complaint. Hopefully others will read this and avoid getting scammed. How dare this company misrepresent themselves and use the DirecTV logo, the Disney logo, and then have the audacity to be rude to you when you discover it's a fraud and request a refund for your deposit!

960 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2004

This is not to Slander Summerbay Resorts but a point of view as to their policy. They will give the good units to only members of the RCI community that bought with them. If you are from some other RCI affiliate, they will prolly give you one of the 200 or 100 series older units. They might also send you over to Island Club which is a really crappy "motel". I had to stand just to get inside Island for 10 mins since the gate person was chatting with their relative. Same for when I had to leave before I lost my temper with the gates person.

Overall, nothing pertaining to sheets will be cleaned in your stay as long as is not asked for. Your comforters would prolly be not cleaned so dont think about using them. Check for bed bugs and stained mattresses.

Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2004

I read the bad reviews but went anyway - because the dis-satisfaction stemmed from the timeshare sales deals and "free" vacations. We were renting thru a vacation rental company, paying full boat. We were offered a "VIP Breakfast" and declined, and heard no more from sales. That was the good part.

This was the worst vacation I have ever taken - June 2004. This is our 4th trip to Orlando, and the only bad one. Why? Lack of sleep. You can't enjoy Disney when you are so tired you literally can't see straight.

This resort is for the young rowdy crowd - not families. LOUD music plays from 8:00 to at least 11:00 pm. (This is more effective than an alarm clock.) Then after 11:00, noise continues as they don't enforce any pool hours. People are in the pool and lake and at the Tiki bar making unbelievable noise until 2:00 am or later. So, we didn't get to sleep until 1:00 or 2:00 am (depite going to bed by 11:30) and were up by 8:00. I don't function on 6 hours sleep!!

Customer service is poor. Every time I complained, I got passed off to another department and told it would be taken care of. One employee even tried to tell me the music was coming from the resort next door. I demanded a refund on the $150.00 we paid for weekly use of the water park because we never go to use it (too tired). They told me they had cleard the bill, but when I went to check out they said I owed it. So I had another argument. I also demanded a partial refund of my $139.00 per night. They said they couldn't since I'd booked thru another company (one of the many outfits who these resorts PAY to book for them!!) I'm still going to work on that one.

And they are very stingy with supplies. There were four cakes of dishwaster soap in the "starter kit." They wouldn't provide more. They don't exchange your towels - unless you pay $5.00 per day. I don't expect maid service in a condo, but all other's we've stayed at did allow you to exchange towels.

Our unit, while well stocked and spacious, was very dirty. It was clean on the serface, but dirty in the corners, behind the doors, etc.

The Aqua Park is not for youngsters - they don't have the strength to climb onto the eqipment. Miniature golf is very expensive - $6.00 per person per game.

• Stayed June 2004
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2004

My family and I stayed at Summer Bay from May 23rd - May 30th, 2004. To begin my review, I received my stay at Summer Bay as a gift from my uncle who is an R.C.I member. So, the price was right. However, I do feel like the resort website and RCI rating give the false impression of a nice resort, when this is not the case.

First, lets start with the lake. It costs an additional $10.oo per person to use the lake per day. Also, if you look closely on their website (under FAQ) it states that lakes in Florida are habitat for alligators and there is a possibility there are some in the lake. Let's just say we skipped the lake!

Second, the resort activities are very low class. On Friday, they have a "beer scavenger hunt" where the guest of the hotel search the grounds for free beer. Also, Karoke night was hysterical and the fitness room and classes are very small. The childrens activity center is a dark small center with a Nintendo, Ping Pong Table and another small room. It was not a place my kids would enjoy playing or somewhere I felt comfortable leaving them unattended.

The room was very average with barely enough bedding to equip the hide a bed. It was nice to have a washer and dryer in the room. Our view was of a large pond with a water feature in the center. The pond was filled with algae and moss and the fountain was inoperable. HA!

The location of the resort is a bit out of the way, located on 192 on the edge of Kissimmee. There is a Publix next door, which is a nice feature. Also, there is a small store on site near the pool area.

The nicest features of the "resort" are the pool and the employees at the poolside bar. Happy hour offered $2.00 beers and $3.00 margaritas and Pina Colidas (6 - 8 pm). That said, the pool area could be nicer and better maintained. (Cheap pool chairs, unmatching umbrellas, garbage not picked up, no poolside service).

If Summer Bay was to obtain new mangement that focused on quality and class, it could be a great resort. Right now, it is definately a diamond in the rough. If I were to pay for a trip to Orlando, I would not choose to stay here again. It definately does not deserve its 5 star RCI Gold Crown rating it advertises.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2004

Well.... We arrived in Sunny Orlando thinking that we were going to spend 4 days at the Summer Bay Resort, that was what the sales rep said. We were at the Ramada Inn, where my husband and 3 children had to share a room. It was so crowed in the room. I was under the impression that we would have a condo at Summer Bay. The motel room was in a very noisy location. We were up all night long. The air conditioner in the room did not keep us cool and it sounded like a freight train. What a way to spend a vacation. Good luck to you if you are thinking that you will be staying at the Summer Bay.

Spotsylvania, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2004

My grown daughter and I vacationed for a week this month at Summer Bay Resort. The accommodations were wonderful. We had a one bedroom villa with full kitchen and living room, bath with a jacuzzi tub and washer and dryer! The unit was quite modern and spacious with nice furnishings and ceramic tile floors and very clean!

We did go to the sales pitch and received free tickets to The Arabian Nights dinner theater which saved us about $80.00.

The only negatives were horrible traffic, poor signage etc. but we still managed to go where we planned and had an exhausting but wonderful time. We did go to Universal Studios but didn't think it was as great as we thought it would be.

What we did notice however is that no matter where we went, the service people were exceptionally friendly and extremely helpful. It was sincere and very refreshing. R. Dewey

• Stayed May 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2004

I just can not believe that this people could scam in this way. I should have stuck to my guns, because @ first I kept telling them that I was only interested in the free stay @ the hotel but I let them talk me into paying $100.00 as a deposit. The rep gave me a promotional codes that I tried out while the rep. was on the phone. One month later I wanted to set up my vacation so I went to the website and enter the code and my e-mail and there was not site that matched or available. I checked the company out on the BBB website and the promotional code site was registered. I tried to call them with the phone number they gave me but I was unable to reach a live person. I will be reporting this complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I think that anyone with a complaint should report to the Better Business Bureau or these people will continue to get rich off of poeple like us.

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!