“Things to know before you go!!!! Please read.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts to your Saves list
Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Connecticut, USA
“Things to know before you go!!!! Please read.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just returned from Summer Bay after a family vacation to Florida. This is not the first time I have stayed at this resort but it will be the last. I picked this resort because we had stayed here before and my children loved it. It had been about 5 years since and it has gone into dis-repair. The first room we were put into was not fit for a dog. The drapes and sheers were torn, carpet stained and smelt terrible. Condo was very small. The entrance way was full of little dead bugs. Kitchen counter-tops were missing pieces of linoleum.
I demanded to be moved and after a little fuss we were. However the manager avoided me when I went to get news keys and the new room assignment. They knew they were wrong. We were moved to the 400's units. Better but still with problems. We just stayed out as much as possible. On the day we were set to leave my daughter went to get a bit of cereal and proceed to vomit as there we ants all inside the box.
These ants are all over and very hard to deal with regardless of how clean we kept the place.

Everything is a separate charge. The WiFi is free but is very slow. You can upgrade for 10.oo a/week. If you need to do anything professional you will have to especially if you are using any smart phones or it will drop a lot. The beach has a nice little area with inflatables that cost 12 dollars per day per user. We skipped this as there was an alligator in the pond with the inflatables. A staff member on a jet ski did kindly shoo him away and we were told; "well this is Florida". And it is but hey "THAT'S MY KID in the water you charge people to go into."

The shuttle service only runs 3 times a day and comes back at 23:15 at the latest. It does not go to Downtown Disney and if you are planning on seeing the fireworks at Epcot or Hollywood Studios please drive because there will be no shuttle to get you back. They leave the parks before these shows even start and a cab will cost you about 37 dollars each way as "Summer Bay is the furthest resort from the park" - taxi company

I went on the timeshare tour to talk with someone about the conditions to try and have the next poor soul saved from going though what we went through. They admitted that were initially put into units that were not to be rented out further as they were do for an upgrade - but we booked through the Armed Forces Vacation Club and were not owners so we should not expect to be put up in the 500 units which were much nicer. It was funny because when we arrived my husband was thanked repeatedly for his service to our country but then given a less than a sub standard room for his efforts. I coul dhave been moved if I was interested in purchasing there.....I was sick.
They gave my 100 in gifts cards. I took them.

We did not move or leave because we, like many people on vacation, had a budget to keep. We were stuck there with the bugs and the Florida wildlife. I read the reviews and hoped for the best. It was a 50/50 shot and we lost. I will never go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Finnish first
Alton, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at Summer Bay for 1-week between May 25/Jun 1. My wife and I had a 1-br unit in bldg 402 and I also reserved a 3-br/3-ba house for my 2-boys and their family - a total of 6-adults, 1 teen and 2 toddlers, spread between the 2 units. The house unit was very nice and roomy. They took advantage of the backyard pool and used the kitchen quite often for breakfast prior to going to the parks, as well as for snacking in the evening. The 1-br unit was also very nice and sufficient for me and the wife. The only problem we had was with the extremely hard mattress for the king bed. After sleeping on it for 1-night and feeling very sore the next morning, I complained to the front desk about it, requesting either a replacement mattress or move to another room. They promptly replaced the mattress later that morning (while we were out) with one that was acceptable, although it could of been a little more softer. We are used to plush, pillow-top type mattresses at home. Unlike some other comments here, we did not find anything dirty nor full of bugs. Yes, there were some bugs in and around the outside (hey, you're in a tropical climate!), but none inside. Everything was clean and fresh in both units we had. We did not find anything broken except for a sliding door alarm in the house unit. We reported this to maintenance and was taken care of the next day. Remember, this was a holiday weekend, so we did not expect this to be taken care of on a Sunday, however, they did come on Memorial Day Monday to work on it. This was our second trip/use of Summer Bay in the past 2-yrs, and both times were very nice. The grounds were very clean throughout the resort, the lawns were well manicured, and the flowers/shrubs were well taken care of. The staff were helpful whenever we needed to ask questions. We plan on going back in the future.

Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our 1st time at the resort. We were very impressed with the 2bdrm 2ba unit we exchanged for. The unit was overlooking a pond and a pool nearby. The building was in good condition and the unit in bldg 403 unit 303a was perfect. The unit was very spacious and clean. Very quiet side of the property. The unit had everything we needed for the week. We did not use the pool or other facilities because by the time we got back from the parks we went to bed. We did order a pizza from the restaurant and it was very good and full of toppings. The checkin staff was great, even called once we got to our room to verify that everything was good with the unit. we did take the TS tour and will try to exchange for 1 of the 3bdrm houses next time. Great property. Only downfall is the distance to Universal and Seaworld. The traffic was really bad at times.

Room Tip: Try to get bldg 403, it is right across from the main bldg with activities and restaurants.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

staff and concierge were wonderful Wifi was great there was plenty to do we would definately recommend to friends& family. it was close to everything the sofa slept great. although I am very pleased with the location.

Greensboro, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned from a week's stay at this resort, and I had my fingers crossed that it would be a pleasant experience. The reviews are kinda mixed so we weren't sure what to expect to be honest. We were placed in the newest condos (the 500 bldgs) and on the very top floor. The room was completely amazing and surpassed my expectations. We had big tvs in every room, the unit was clean, no bugs, and seemed to be well cared for. All of the rooms had walk out balconies with tables and chairs and overlooked 3 marshes. This was awesome and we ate dinner outside every night and watched the birds patrol the marsh looking for fish. It was nice to be facing that rather than another condo or parking lot. The resort has a few pools. We were near Big Kahuna pool which is also a bar/grill and has a hot tub. It was a nice place for the kids bc the shallow end is a zero depth entry for the little ones to be able to walk into and it goes up to 4 ft. Most nights there was a musician of some sort playing music for us and one night there was a blow up movie screen and the played a movie for us. My 6 year old thought that was cool! The kiddie water park was also nice! However, I found that most parents used it as a babysitter and either brought a book to read and never looked up from it OR dropped their kids off to play and went somewhere else on the property. Not cool because those kids were always misbehaving and I had to say something to a few of them for knocking my 2 year old out of the way a few times. Other than that, the water park was fun for them. We didn't really use the other pools or the beach area, we were just too busy. One thing I didn't like was that the beach area with the water inflatables actually cost money to play with. It was like $12 a day or something like that. I thought this was free for guests. We didn't end up going there but if we would have, i would have been annoyed to have to pay to use those things. Other than that, the trip was great! I know others have given it poor reviews bc of bad condo units and I really can't speak on that since we were given a new unit. From what we saw, the resort was nice, clean, the staff was great, and it was well taken care of. Hope this helps! :)

Room Tip: choose a 500 bld if you can - they are newly built and are amazing! not near the kids water park if...
Kansas by way of US Army
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at Summer Bay Resort for one week, and just returned. We loved every aspect. We were put in the 500 Buildings. The only thing we regret is not having more time to spend at the Resort. Our 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit was large and clean. We didn't have any noise, bug, or cleanliness issues. It was a quick drive to plenty of dining options, as well as to the Disney Parks. I had rented a 2nd room for my parents, and although they arrived a different day, they were placed right next to us. We didn't utilize many of the amenities, but we did go to the pool nearly every day, and we liked it. The Big Kahuna food was average or less, but that wasn't a big deal. We would definitely stay there again! We'd read reviews about unrelenting timeshare salespeople, so we simply unhooked the phones when we got there!

Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have made two trips to Summer Bay in Clermont, Florida. The first was in 2012 the second May 2013. A lot of the issues we had in 2012 were the same this year... For one both units we stayed in were filthy. Carpeted floors were so dirty my niece’s knees and feet were black after a 5 minute walk or crawl. The balcony floor, the kitchen and bathroom floors the same, filthy. I seriously do not think the tile grout has EVER been cleaned. There was also some kind of icky grime on the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. I tried to scrub it off with a scrubber to no avail. I thought it may be floor wax, but it looks awful in a room you prepare food in. We had to buy ice. Ice maker did not fill up the reservoir till the day we left (total of 7 days). Our ceiling fans were broke, our shades were broke. Some were rigged with wire and still didn’t work properly. The faucet in the extra bathroom was broke, and the toilet was also broke. The TV at one point wouldn’t "change" channels (a man came and told us not to use the ^ button on the remote to change the channel, rather put the channel number in itself-DUH we don’t know the channels). The screen on the balcony had all kind of opened areas allowing wasps and mosquitoes in. The reason we wanted a screened in porch was to protect my toddler nieces from bugs. Fail. Speaking of bugs, the entry to the unit was full of cob-webs and spiders in the corners...just so "un-kept".

The furniture was way too large for the room sizes. I found it somewhat comfy, but the tables they use in the living rooms are VERY dangerous for kids, very sharp pointy metal and glass. We moved the coffee table over against the wall out of harms way to the babies.

To make all that even better.... ROACHES! Not “palmetto” bugs or “water” bugs… indoor food eating roaches!
Upon our arrival I noticed a dead one in the track of the patio door. Mentioned it to my family, and we just thought it was a straggler from outside. The day before we left we were up in the middle of the night with the twins and had the nice surprise of them in the kitchen crawling around on our food containers (thrown out!) and bags.

My sister called later that day and was basically told, "well you’re leaving tomorrow so is there anything I can do to make your last day better? Chris seemed totally unconcerned and bothered by our call.

Make sure you unplug your phone. They consider what you call a vacation, their opportunity to pressure you into upgrades or make a sale. Plan on being woke up very early everyday from phone calls. We unplugged the phone the whole time we were there due to past experience. My brother in law has been an owner since the beginning, about 20 yrs. The wifi that they decided to offer finally is almost useless. We were constantly kicked off, and the password is changed every couple of days. If you leave you have to sign back on upon your return.

Everything here cost. EVERYTHING. The food at the Big Kahuna is decent for "bar" food, but don’t expect a great grilled anything. Drinks are very high and very small. I do love their pools and the Jacuzzi’s. The grounds are beautiful. It seems a lot more care is given to the outside appearance vs. the inside. I did enjoy the live bands, and the trivia contest at the pool. The beach party was entertaining as well.

Over all my biggest complaints would be the lack of good customer service and the filth. The broken things are somewhat tolerable, but filth and rudeness; UNACCEPTABLE.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!